Author Topic: Jigs For GIlls  (Read 3314 times)

Offline PeRcHsLaYeR

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I LOVE PERCH!!!!
Jigs For GIlls
« on: Dec 24, 2003, 10:00 AM »
Best jigs???????
you can call me PeRcHsLaYeR......

P Gottshall

Re:Jigs For GIlls
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2003, 11:23 AM »
Last year I got turned on to "Hali's".  A Halis has a small (1in - 11/2in) in-line vertical blade, with a small 1 1/2in chain hanging from it to a hook.

The idea is the blade creates flash to attract fish in, & then the live-bait on the hook gets 'em.

They're a little pricey in my book, but work well.  Late last season, when I'd lost 'em all, I made a cheap imitation which seemed to work just as well.  I fastened a small walleye on a blade on a clevis 3in above a single hook.  As I jig, the blade spins.  Works great & cheap.  I can afford to lose these.

Used for 'gills & Crappies.

Good luck,
Paul

Offline PeRcHsLaYeR

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I LOVE PERCH!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2003, 05:31 PM »
Wuts your favorite color Hali?  I used a glow perch color this last winter and caught a few nice perch with it.
you can call me PeRcHsLaYeR......

Lighting Rod

« Reply #3 on: Dec 25, 2003, 05:16 PM »
Last year I used two Marmooskas size 14 tied a foot apart & tipped both with a couple of spikes.

Offline ButchT

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 25, 2003, 05:48 PM »
I like small horizontal jigs for gills.  I've had real good luck on #12 and#14 Marmooskas in black with a green collar and white nose tipped with spikes.  
This winter I want to try red jigs, probably Rat Finkees, with red Wedgees to simulate bloodworms.  I'll either tip them with red eurolarvae or just smear some Nightcrawler scented Smelly Jelly on the hooks.  
I'm not to proud to change styles, sizes and colors til I find what the fish want, though.

acsacmboy

« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2003, 10:27 AM »
ive always had good luck on teardrop style jigs. they have good action and always hitum :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.