Author Topic: Small lake gills  (Read 3630 times)

Offline fishslayer37

• Team IceShanty Regular
Small lake gills
« on: Dec 17, 2004, 11:38 PM »
Anyone know how to fish a small lake that you have never been to for gills. The max depth is about 37 and the mean depth is about 11. Ive tried everywhere, but cant find the bigger ones.  Caught some in the summer but none on the ice?
A good finesse bass fisherman, makes a good walleye fisherman

Offline mod_auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Small lake gills
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2004, 06:23 AM »
For early ice I would try to concentrate on the shallower areas of the lake. Areas where there is submerged vegetation usually offers good first ice locations for panfish. Later in the winter, I would concentrate on the deeper flats of the lake where the panfish have sufficient access to shallower water. I fish a small lake most of the winter and the trend is always the same- start off shallow in early ice, work deeper towards midwinter, and then migrate back to the shallows before ice out.

This is just my experience, but what I have found is that bigger gills tend to suspend over the deeper basin of the lake, which is about 23 feet deep near midwinter.

Good luck with your search and remember, this is just my experience - so don't regard me as a professional!!!!!
Play 'em if you wanna fillet 'em!

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2004, 11:37 AM »
Agree with mod_auger but also don't hesitate to try, at any time, the thickest living/standing weeds that reach the surface, very often it's open just beneath them. Sometimes the biggest gills are just sitting in there waiting for an easy meal to show up and also avoiding predators until it gets dark. Found it to be more effective the smaller the body of water is.

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2004, 10:28 AM »
Ice season oftentimes the bulls will go a little deeper. I would try rocky humps and points in the 15-20 ft. range a little bit. If you have no success there, go back to your normal place to get bluegills. Sometimes dumb luck is required to get the big ones. (thats how I am for lakers)
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline fishslayer37

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2004, 07:18 PM »
Thanks ya'll, i got another ?.  I dont have a lake map of this lake, and i cant find one. Or i dont have fishfinder to figure where all the weed lines and humps and such.  Anyone know how to go about finding all that stuff then?  Its just me, my auger, and my jig pole.

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2004, 01:09 PM »
JW gave some great advice, but I have a bit to add.
This is only very general though mind you. If you see a sharp drop off going down towards the lake on the bank, chances are it is that way in the water too. If you see big boulders in the area, chances are it is there too. If the water is clear, drop down to the ice and look down in the water to see structure. Just a few extra tips, thought they'd help.
Good luck figuring out the lake and tight lines!
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2004, 04:10 PM »
I would think about trying the first drop off into somewhat deeper water that is adjacent to the shallower, weedy areas. Maybe try a small swedish pimple or custom jigs and spins stinger spoons tipped with maggots or a wax worm. That might help you find the gills a little easier. Start around 10 feet deep near the weeds, and try deeper if you don't find any. Also trying really shallow, right in the weeds might work too.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

fasteddy

« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2004, 04:29 PM »
Thanks ya'll, i got another ?.  I dont have a lake map of this lake, and i cant find one. Or i dont have fishfinder to figure where all the weed lines and humps and such.  Anyone know how to go about finding all that stuff then?  Its just me, my auger, and my jig pole.

go to  wisconsin lake maps at the dnr site you can get a top map of any lake in the state

Offline fishslayer37

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2004, 10:47 PM »
Ive tried every web site cant find a single lake map.  I went out yesturday on there and theres spots where it only about 6 for a while than it gets done to about 20 to 30 real quick. didnt catch any bigger ones. This lake is McCune, Washburn county

Offline sbfPA_Mike

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2004, 05:29 PM »
This is work,  but you can do it without anything technical.  Take your auger and a 100' tpae measure and start taking notes of depths on a hand drawn map.  Cover one section of lake every time you go out till you have it covered and you have notes.  You can also mark areas where you have caught fish,  pull up weeds,  or just got plain skunked monkey.

Mike
I don't like it here, so I will probably be here for a while.........
 @ www.iceshanty.com  @ www.myfishfinder.com
 @ www.myhuntingforum.com[/si

Offline fishslayer37

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2004, 06:09 PM »
wisconsin that is

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.