Author Topic: BEST OR WORST ICE AUGER REVIEWS  (Read 29326 times)

Offline Shrubs

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: BEST OR WORST ICE AUGER REVIEWS
« Reply #90 on: Feb 28, 2019, 11:04 PM »
Got out with the Ion X this am.
Few observations
Love not pulling.
Ion is definitely slower than the Z71,and seems to be having an issue part way thru hole...and doesnt want to cut.
I seem to need to put a fair bit of pressure on it to cut,which is odd.
Play around with it a bit.
20 holes or so and still 3 bars on battery...so battery life will not be an issue for me.

I might come off as a dick here but that is ok, why with all the info that is available on this crazy thing we call the internet someone would go with the ion over the strikemaster is pretty crazy to me.  As another poster here noted, I've never run the lithium 40v strikemaster but I have run the lazer gas version for close to twenty years now.  If you want to drill holes efficiently with as little effort as possible get a strikemaster.  The blade system is second to none.  The eskimos whether it be electric or gas will always be behind because they utilize a less efficient cutting system.  Them are the facts plain and simple.

Offline madatter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #91 on: Mar 01, 2019, 11:41 AM »
Dick or not....doesnt really matter.
Availability of the Strikemaster number one reason for not getting it.
I looked and couldnt find anything on line,in store yes,but I dont live anywhere near.
This is for the 10"

Pretty sure Ill survive

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #92 on: Mar 01, 2019, 01:34 PM »
Cabelas has a deal on the SM right now, 8 inch

Offline albertaboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #93 on: Mar 05, 2019, 05:28 PM »
Been thinking of this deal for close to a week now. I got a $20 Cabelas coupon on the weekend which further tempted me. Problem is my current Strikemaster runs like a charm. Damn!  Albertaboy

Offline madatter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #94 on: Mar 09, 2019, 05:14 PM »
Well ive been out a few times with the Ion....and still cant get it to start a hole, or complete a hole without considerable downward force.
Im going to change the blades.....even tho they look and feel ok.
Blades for these things are 70 plus....crazy.
Pilot point looks ok
Experience with the Z71,which has the almost exact same blades has taught me that they mess up easily with dirty ice, even if they look ok.
With good blades the Z71 just digs and you hang on.....my Ion isnt like that
Funny tho that the Ion didnt cut right from get go.

Im sorta regretting not going with the Strikemaster, even tho its the 8"
If new blades dont fix the problem then not sure what Ill do with it.

Offline madatter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #95 on: Mar 10, 2019, 10:29 AM »
Well changing the blades did the trick....cuts very nice now.
Cant believe the blades were crap from factory but they were.
Sent Ion an email....hopefully they send me a set of blades.

Offline madatter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #96 on: Mar 12, 2019, 01:33 PM »
Gotta say Ion customer service is exceptional.
A new set of blades is on its way, and the offer to replace other parts if auger still does not cut.
Gotta like that.

sirsmokesalot

« Reply #97 on: Nov 26, 2019, 10:35 PM »
there isn't much love for the newer jiffys that's for sure
the new jiffy suck so much crap iv gone through 2 on my new 3rd one  I had a 10inch about 2008 I regret selling as now jiffy sold out no more tucomse motors they were thee best auger on the market for a long while now they r junk any recommendations on gas 10 inch?

Offline Shotgun

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #98 on: Nov 27, 2019, 09:52 AM »
the new jiffy suck so much crap iv gone through 2 on my new 3rd one  I had a 10inch about 2008 I regret selling as now jiffy sold out no more tucomse motors they were thee best auger on the market for a long while now they r junk any recommendations on gas 10 inch?
   STRIKE MASTER WITH THE HONDA MOTOR.

Cost you a few bucks more but it will be an auger that you will have a tough time wearing out.  Tourque like crazy and with the chipper blade all you do is hang on and let the auger do the work for you.  Best auger I have ever owned.

SHOTGUN

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #99 on: Nov 27, 2019, 10:13 AM »
Well changing the blades did the trick....cuts very nice now.
Cant believe the blades were crap from factory but they were.
Sent Ion an email....hopefully they send me a set of blades.

The blades are junk.  If you fish anywhere near a beach w sand make sure there isn't much on the ice.  I always keep a spare set with me since I've burned through many sets.  Good thing is that they are not all that expensive.  Don't bother having them sharpened either.  The chinese steel wont retain the angle or edge.
westernmas on the finder

sirsmokesalot

« Reply #100 on: Nov 27, 2019, 12:42 PM »
Nice thank you for the info once this jiffy blows up again I'm onto a new auger.... u been out much this Nov 2019?

Offline wyice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #101 on: Dec 24, 2019, 07:01 PM »
I have a Jiffy and I started using ethanol free gas only on all my small gas powered equipment, they start and run much better

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #102 on: Dec 24, 2019, 07:33 PM »
wyice,
That’s why I use TruFuel in my 8” Strikemaster. Learned the hard way after the fuel lines and tank grommet when to heck. Never had an issue with the blades either. Best auger for the $$$! MYO
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Hkb82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #103 on: Jan 03, 2021, 12:45 PM »
I know it’s an old post but thought I’d add my 2 cents. I use the Milwaukee fuel for early and late ice when walking. then my jiffy model 75 gasser for everything else once atv/snowmobile conditions arrive. It s 21 years old this year and never missed a beat. If you come across a used one I’d grab it up as they don’t make em like this anymore. Buddies have gone through more the a few over the years of all brands and the old jiffy arctic blast just keeps on drilling. I love hearing the first or one pull start claims. I’ve been on the ice for many years and yet to see a true cold start up on a 2 stroke that only took one pull. Maybe in your heated shop but not on the ice. I’m fine with 5-7 pulls to get it started the first time. Rest of the day is usually only one or two depending on how long we sat in one spot. If the amount of pulls it takes to start her up is an issue I’d go electric. I’d say if your pulling like crazy or for several min and having to gas the heck out of it to get it started your auger needs the crab looked at and cleaned up and properly stored when not in use. Ethanol and carb issues are the real culprit of a bad running auger if ya ask me. Poor maintenance and crappy old gas getting left in them. I’m not a big fan of just putting stabilizer in it and forgetting about it. I usually start it up a few times in the summer along with the sleds and I’ve never had a prob with any 2 stroke that I’d blame on the motor unless it was happening from day one.

Offline Homewrecker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #104 on: Jan 03, 2021, 05:03 PM »
I see the Eskimo z51 can not be bought anymore with aluminum handles ,does any one know why they went with tubing besides being much cheaper to build. I had a z51 with 10 inch auger for 5 years . always started on the second pull ,i wish i never sold it . 
Homewrecker (Boats Name)

Offline curtis_rak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #105 on: Jan 07, 2021, 12:41 PM »
I will play as well... i can give a 5yr review of the 8", 43cc Rapala Nitro...

Bought on sale at Canadian Tire 5 years ago after doing some research and finding out its the exact same auger as the "Woods" 43cc. The Rapala was $40 cheaper so I grabbed it.

I dont know how many holes I've drilled but I ice fish at least 1 day per week every winter and I am still on the original blade (I am also very diligent in making sure its always got a cover on it when I'm not drilling). I have had a Jiffy 12" extension on it since the day I bought it and the auger rips holes really fast. It destroys all of the 33cc augers my buddies have (eskimos and strikemasters)- in fact its embarrassing how much better this auger is than theirs.

I haven't had any maintenance issues and I run 50:1 pre-mix in it.

As an added bonus - this summer I bought an 8" earthworks auger for it to drill post holes and my god it worked great. The Rapala/Woods/Eskimo spin the opposite way of the Jiffy which allows you to buy earth auger bits for them. Added bonus.

I dont think this exact auger is made anymore but like I said the 43cc Woods at Cdn Tire is exactly the same and they still carry it.

Offline Shotgun

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #106 on: Jan 13, 2021, 11:48 AM »
Well I happen to have my Strike Master 8" with the Honda motor for sale.

Weighs 22lbs but the older I get the heavier it seems.  Kinda go lighter and hate to part with the best auger I have ever owned.

SHOTGUN

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #107 on: Jan 13, 2021, 12:04 PM »
Worst for me, hands down, was a 6" BPS hand auger a few years back.

Straight out of the box, the holes weren't punched all the way through the handle, so I had to drill them out just to put it together. The bolts that hold the blades on are also super soft, had them bend the first time I used it, so the blades got all cockeyed and wouldn't bite. I replaced them with some grade 5s, and it did work fine after that, but it definitely wasn't worth it to save $5-10 over a Mora with quality issues like that right out of the box.

Offline Uppervalley Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #108 on: Jan 13, 2021, 12:13 PM »
Best: Nils convertible
Worst: Rusty spoon auger
....¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Offline Icing ‘em

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #109 on: Oct 12, 2021, 08:37 AM »
As ice fishing season is fast approaching, or at least I hope it is, I will add my humble reviews to this topic.

My first ice auger, which I still have, is an Eskimo Stingray, 33cc 8 inch. I am the third owner and the thing just works. Yes when it has rode in the truck box for 2 hours in -30C weather, it can be a temperamental old girl, but after a few swears and a few yanks on the starter she fires up and performs admirably within her weight class.

Last March, after trying a buddies and being duly impressed, I bought a Strikemaster 24V. Light, always ready to go, quiet and cuts thru the ice like a champ. Will it cut thru as much ice as advertised, I sincerely doubt it but that is fine by me as most holes I have ever drilled in one day is 18 and that was only because I was retrieving an ice rod that went down the hole, no thanks to a pike. Battery still showed 1 bar after that debacle. Bought a second battery on sale for $95 just in case.

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FreshwaterPhil.com - Montreal fishing
« Reply #110 on: Nov 18, 2021, 06:53 PM »
For my style of ice fishing, I need a light, fast,  and reliable auger. I trekk on foot most of the day, and punch new holes every few minutes unless I come across a big school of decent size fish.

As long as ice is under 12 inches thick, I stick with my manual Fin bore augers, have a 6 and 8 inch model. I enjoy the hand drilling, and it's a decent steady workout. I had a Nils for thicker ice, but too unreliable, the tiniest nick in blade and the head was useless, off to Frank for sharpening :( Contrast that to the Fin bore, a couple years ago I cracked a blade, and fished rest of the day drilling with only 1 blade. Only time that's happened to me in well over a decade, and I drill hundreds of holes every season. Downside to the 8 incher is that it bogs down pretty bad in 16+ inches of ice, the 6 incher is good until 20 to 22 or so.
Here is a short clip of the 8 incher at work https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KrVyhFAizk

For thicker ice, I got the Ion G2 last winter. Very light, cuts through 30 inches in no time and with minimal effort. Battery did 80 hoesl into 20-22 inches last March, and that was in weather from -18C up to -11C by afternoon. Still had power when we got off the ice at dark. Blades not the best quality, the will dull and even chip with minor debris in the ice. I bought a few replacements to keep as spares, so I can change them on ice if need be. I've managed to sharpen them on my own too, but not as good as out of the box.
Here is a short clip of it at work https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOiNVFOfnZ8&t=1s

Lastly, I've used old gas Jiffys in the past. Simply to big and heavy for my style, only time the excelled was when we would drive out on thick ice at end of season and have 2 of us on the drill to punch a lot of holes. Didn't appreciate the pull start when motor would act up, the constant stink, and we've run into leakage in the car too.

Happy drilling :)

Offline Shotgun

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #111 on: Nov 19, 2021, 03:55 PM »
I bit the bullet and got the Strikemaster 8" 24 volt.  Holly mackeral is it light and with the lazer mag blades it cuts I think faster than my old one with the Honda motor.

Great auger and I could not be happier.  weighs in at just under 18 lbs. 

Saw a few at the Fishn Hole last week and they were about 50 bucks less than Bass.  Bass had a few of the 40volt 10inch but they are kinda like the Ion 10"  too heavy for me.

SHOTGUN

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #112 on: Dec 03, 2021, 06:38 PM »
i run and gun alot and fish outside 99% of the time so it is nothing for me to drill 100 holes a day thats why i run the gas power head. i can usually get around 120 holes through 18" of ice pwer tank. it would take my 2 5 amp and one of my 6 amp batteries to get that many holes with my drill set up. its just another option for people with a strikemaster power head. the k-drill bolts right up to it with no adapter needed. good luck and tight lines

Maybe change your forum name to "SwissCheese.  ;D

Offline Uppervalley Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #113 on: Dec 07, 2021, 02:13 PM »
Nils all day long
....¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Offline Steve_Que

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #114 on: Jan 21, 2022, 08:46 PM »
Hi Friends,

I am new to ICESHANTY and this is my first post, apologies if it is not in the right spot.  I have a Jiffy 30 (about 20 year old).  Has worked like an absolute top for all of that time without fail.  This year, the throttle lever does not seem to « oper ‘er up » like it should.  I removed and cleaned carb, was a bit gummy but now sorted.  I did not take pictures of the throttle assembly and am not 100% sure I put everything back the way it should be.  I think the governor-throttle spring may be worn as well.  I would be grateful for close of photos of the throttle lever assembly from anyone who owns one of these machines.

Grateful for the help and feel free to point elsewhere if this is not the spot.  Thanks again.

Steve (Quebec, Canada)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.