New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Weather and ice question.  (Read 483 times)

Offline kayak2fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
Weather and ice question.
« on: Dec 04, 2007, 06:18 PM »
Okay, at this stage in the game we have fishable ice on smaller ponds in the 'dacks and soon-to-be fishable ice on a lot of other waters. Or so it seems. In looking at the 15-day forecast for Otsego County, which is probably similar to many other areas Upstate, I noticed a bunch of days with 38 degree temps with nightime lows in the teens sandwiched in between colder days with daytime highs 20s. My question is, what affect do these warmer days have on the ice that already exists? Do the colder nights (teens) make up for the warmer days (mid-30s)? Or will there be depletion?

Should I even bother checking the 15-day accuweather forecast?

Or should I just plan to do all my December fishing in the Adirondacks?

PWR BAIT

Re: Weather and ice question.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2007, 07:18 PM »
Your longer nights down in the teens should make ice as long as there isn't alot of snow on it.There shouldn't be alot of depletion as long as the snow on the ground stays it will keep the temps down where we need it.Just my opinion

Offline iceaddiction

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2007, 07:24 PM »
At this time of the year the days are very short.  If the weather guy is calling for 40 you got to think it is probably only going to be forty for couple hours which means most of your 24 hr period is going to be colder if it get down to 15 it takes almost all day to reach that forty degrees it will be fine man.
I live to fish anytype but ice fishing is my passion

Offline kayak2fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2007, 08:02 PM »
I guess I am just getting anxious. Especially after last year's late start. I was kayak fishing in early January on water I was ice fishing two weeks later!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.