New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: perch at caroga  (Read 2372 times)

Offline frozetoes

• IceShanty Rookie
perch at caroga
« on: Dec 03, 2007, 06:39 AM »
Where is a good spot to park when fishing for perch on the east side of caroga and what side is the best for perch?

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
Re: perch at caroga
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2007, 06:54 AM »
Where is a good spot to park when fishing for perch on the east side of caroga and what side is the best for perch?

Welcome Frozetoes!

East Caroga (state campsite side) is a little better for perch as far as quantity, there are a lot of dinks in there. You can park down at the association beach area on the avenues, usually no one will bother you.

There are some perch in West Caroga (shermans park side) but most people fish for splake and smelt. You can park near Vrooman's hotel or on the lakeshore by Shermans but I heard they were hasseling people about parking there....
There is a big contest there in January ice permitting. Good luck,

Robb :tipup:

Offline ominousone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2007, 09:01 AM »
there's a tournament on caroga?  I love that lake.  I probably spend more days in the summer on it fishing bass than anyone else.  The smelt are great there too.  Any details would be great about that tourney....

Offline hard_water

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • rippin lips all over NY
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2007, 10:24 AM »
anyone know anything about ice conditions up on caroga? that is usually one of the first lakes i fish on the ice. any info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks water
GET THE NET !!!!!!!GET THE NET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2007, 12:50 PM »
there's a tournament on caroga?  I love that lake.  I probably spend more days in the summer on it fishing bass than anyone else.  The smelt are great there too.  Any details would be great about that tourney....

The tournament is in January sometime, Carogakid organises it and does a great job with some excellent prizes and raffles. He should be posting some info soon.

anyone know anything about ice conditions up on caroga? that is usually one of the first lakes i fish on the ice. any info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks water

A little bird told me East was all locked up tight and West was whitecaps!! Maybe it will lock up if the wind dies down. That same bird told me Mayfield lake was locked up tight too.

Offline hard_water

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2007, 03:21 PM »
Robb how did i know you were the one who was gonna give me some good news?  lol bet that little bird is "cold" that poor bum. anyways thanks for the report. caint wait to get after em on caroga. maybe by the weekend on east huh? keep me posted please.

water

Offline Booker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2007, 03:44 PM »
Looking forward to getting out on the lake. East for pickerel and West for splake.

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2007, 06:30 AM »
Robb how did i know you were the one who was gonna give me some good news?  lol bet that little bird is "cold" that poor bum. anyways thanks for the report. caint wait to get after em on caroga. maybe by the weekend on east huh? keep me posted please.

water

No problem. I'm sure by the weekend there will be people out there fishing. Unfortuantely I will be hunting, still trying to fill at least one of my tags >:(. Hopefully it stays cold and makes some good ice.

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2007, 07:50 AM »
how much snow you guys got up that way ?

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2007, 09:07 AM »
how much snow you guys got up that way ?

Not too much, 3-4" at the most.

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2007, 11:53 AM »
How thick is the ice on East?
Thanks!

Offline hard_water

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2007, 06:14 PM »
          Unfortuantely I will be hunting, still trying to fill at least one of my tags .

Yeah i will be trying to do the very same. i let 2 walk opening day  i wont make that mistake again!!!!!  lol but by the weekend of the 15th and 16th there should be some ice to fish if everything stays the way it is now. maybe we can hook up one day when your up on caroga? and make a couple lips sore.

stay on top
                                                water

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2007, 07:23 PM »

Yeah i will be trying to do the very same. i let 2 walk opening day  i wont make that mistake again!!!!!  lol but by the weekend of the 15th and 16th there should be some ice to fish if everything stays the way it is now. maybe we can hook up one day when your up on caroga? and make a couple lips sore.

stay on top
                                                water

Sounds like a plan, either there or Mayfield lake. Depends on the hunting...

Offline walleye190

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • first laker
« Reply #13 on: Dec 04, 2007, 07:48 PM »
i live up by mayfield lake and as of just the other day there was open water. i will check wed after work and give update. tight lines :tipup:

Offline Caroga Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bring On The Ice!!!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 04, 2007, 07:55 PM »

stay on top
                                                water

Hook up and make a Couple lips Sore.....That's just wrong     :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline irishjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My Favorite Fishin Partner!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 04, 2007, 09:01 PM »
Not too much, 3-4" at the most.

Just North of Pine Lake has all of 6-8" , and that is when I left on Sunday around noon , Hotel said thay got another 5 Sunday nite into Monday. Lake affect , deer moved towards Benson , we moved to .
I spent all my money on fishin,huntin,and beer  , everything else was just a waste!
TEAM MIRC NYRC Official Mic Of Mirc

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
« Reply #16 on: Dec 05, 2007, 06:27 AM »
Just North of Pine Lake has all of 6-8" , and that is when I left on Sunday around noon , Hotel said thay got another 5 Sunday nite into Monday. Lake affect , deer moved towards Benson , we moved to .

A friend of mine was up there muzzleloading last night in Caroga and there was about 5" of snow, I used to live there (9yrs) and some winters you would get 3-4" a night. We finally moved to the "city" (johnstown) in 2001 after getting 48" of snow just in the month of March.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.