New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Ice thickness?  (Read 3226 times)

Offline Skunker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • All I want is fish with Teeth
Ice thickness?
« on: Dec 02, 2007, 05:58 PM »
Hey all,  I'm very new to ice fishing and eager to get out and do some fishing.  I was just curious if some of you could share some info or tips on figuring out how thick the ice is before I venture out on it.  Also and info on safe ice thinkness would be helpful.  Don't wanna make my first year of ice fishing my last!!!  Hopefully this winter I will be able to get out a bunch and share some info on my outing in the canandaigua area.  Thanks a lot. 

Skunker.
100% Catch and release!!!!!!!!

Offline perchking4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice thickness?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2007, 06:03 PM »
usually 2" of black ice is good for one person and 3-4" is alright for you and a buddy to fish together. When I check the ice I always wear my PFD and bring a rope. I go out a a couple of feet from shore and drill a hole and see if the ice thickness is to my liking. I hope this helped. ;D

Offline flagnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2007, 06:04 PM »
i like to go out with at least 8" of ice.black ice is really strong so i like to go out at 4".but that is just me.

Offline Whatpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2007, 06:12 PM »
"Isn't he precious." My daughter looking at a 12" walleye
"The Green Hornet strikes again!"

Offline miranick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2007, 06:13 PM »
try the biggg rock test find the biggest rock you can and see if it will hold if that works then try a couple of test holes with the auger. oyu want atleast 4" of clear(black) ice. If the ice is cluody then it is soft and you could fall through6-8". Good idea to go out with friends the first couple times anyway with a rope.

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2007, 06:26 PM »
Just wait until you see multiple people on the ice .
Walk around and ask questions , most people are willing to share safe ice info with anybody .
Until you learn how to judge safe ice never go out by yourself .

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2007, 07:44 PM »
Testing the first ice of the season requires some time. First of all, DO NOT attempt to go any farther out under any circumsatnces if a test hole reveals less than 2 inches of black ice. Also, if you lack experience on the ice, it is best to wait until you see others out there. Someone has to be first though, and that has been myself in several areas of NY in past years.

If you are not taking a PFD with you, at least take off your heavy coat and heavy boots ( bring sneakers ) until you know you won't fall through. If you did fall through with the winter dress on, it would be much harder to get out of the water. One final thing is to NEVER assume constant ice thickness on any body of water, especially where currents are known to exist. Almost all waters have some amount of current somewhere within them.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline kirkwooders

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Websters definition of a northern red neck.
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2007, 06:54 AM »
Skunker,
I've learned the hard way.  Don't be the first one on the ice!!!!!!   :cookoo: I've been wet and cold a couple of times trying to get to the "hot first bite."   It's not worth it!!!    It's always better to be the second one to catch fish than it is be the first to go home wet early!!!  Wait until you see a few people out on the ice. 

It's never a bad thing to be wearing a life vest, especially at first ice.  Carry a spud and give the ice a good whack before the next step every time.  Have a buddy and a rope and never be too far from either, or too close.  Don't ever leave your vehicle without a pair of ice picks in your coat, and not in the pocket either.  Travel light until your sure of the ice.  I always have to laugh when I see guys asking if the ice is safe enough for a quad.  Most quads weigh in around 500-600#.  If my buddy and I walk out together we fall somewhere in the middle without any gear,  add in two portables, a power auger, two hand augers, two tackle boxes,  heaters, fuel, bait, etc., etc., and your looking at closer to half a ton than to a quarter ton.  If there's anyone coming off the ice ask them, most guys will tell you.  If you have a cell, put it in a zip lock bag and put it in pocket that is easily accessed.  Always let someone at home know where you are going and what time you expect to be back.

Also, most of the guys on this forum carry one of those hand held 2 way radios (walky talky) tuned to channel 7.  If you have one give a shout out and you'll be surprised at how many will answer.  It might even be me.  ;D ;D :wacko: :woot: ;D ;D
"There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid!"

Offline Bussman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2007, 08:53 AM »
Learing how to use a spud is the only way to check ice safely. Take it one step at a time and test that ice every step of the way until you feel confident your on good ice. How do you know what is good ice? Experience is the only way. Teach yourself in water that is 2' or less so "when" you make a mistake it only means a wet foot. If the ice is strong enough to hold a person, one swift hard blow from a spud should not go through. At 2" it might go through, but since your concentrating all the force on the point of the spud it does not cause cracking. Chances are if that spud causes the ice to crack you would have not been able to stand on it anyway.

Although I have fished on 2" of ice, I would never recommend it to a beginner. There are to many variables to consider. You really need to understand the body of water your fishing and how that ice formed. Thickness of ice is actually a very small part of early ice safety.

I am always hearing guys talking about PFD's but what amazes me is that is all they do. Some of them don't have picks or they are alone. If you don't have a set of picks or a buddy with a "long" rope the PFD will just help the rescue team recover your body quicker.

Skunker don't be shy to ask someone to go with you. I am sure we have members in your area that would be happy to get you started. Put up a post in the NY section simply asking for help with the subject " Help in Canandaigua area" and I bet you are surprised how many people will reply. If I was closer I would help you get started. Nothing is better then learning from someone with experience.

Good luck

Bussman

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2007, 11:08 AM »
2 inches is a accident waiting to happen.

3-4 is the ticket.
4 inches is really the number most go by. That is not all of it. Ice varies check often.

Picks, rope and a spud and a partner and your in business.

The itch gets to all of us but icefishing is a smart mans sport rather than a risk takers.
Don't be THAT guy in paper who they find in the spring.

Be safe and enjoy!
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2007, 03:04 PM »
You gotta check as you go out usually about every 10-15 steps poping a hole, until I feel comfortable which usually means drilling 5-8 holes. My first trips of the year I wear my waders, and pack light. I don't care if there are 50 guys on the lake I am not gonna be the staw that breaks the camels back. 3 inches of black,or smokey ice is what you want as others have said, stay away from wet spots and early pressure cracks they are the most dangerous of the year. Always take someone with you the first couple times out on a lake and keep a good distance between the both of you. If you can, stay somewhat close to shore. Ice picks and rope do not go out without them.
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline IceTrekker17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'll Treck for Miles For Slab Perch...
« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2007, 03:27 PM »
I've always been taught exactly what Bussman said.  If one hard crack from a spud doesn't go through, it will hold one person.  Every step, give a whak.  Drill a hole every 10-15 feet in you want and see what you're walking on, until later in the season when you know its of adequate thickness.  The first few feet of ice always stink since the ground beneath the shallow water retain some heat.  Like everyone has already said, never go alone, and if you're new to it, it wouldn't hurt to wait until there are guys out there.  Just follow their tracks and when you decide to branch off, keep using the spud.

Offline Skunker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 03, 2007, 04:29 PM »
Hey all just wanted to thank everyone for the responses... Should be extremly helpful. Yeah I like the idea of seeing some others on the ice first.  Makes sense LOL.  Well I am sure I will be posting more questions soon enough when the ice gets thicker.  Started seeing tons of ice out on the smaller ponds and lakes on my way home from work.  Its getting closer. See you all out there.

Skunker

Offline water_wolf

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A water_wolf in sheepheads clothing
« Reply #13 on: Dec 03, 2007, 05:00 PM »
2 things: 1) never assume that the ice is safe.  Drill your own test holes and as often as you feel comfortable as you walk out.  2) NEVER the word of someone else when it pertains to your safety.  I had 2 guys coming off the ice one day at Silver Lake tell me there was a good 6" of ice.  I walked a little ways further which was close to the area the 2 came from and proceeded to drill a hole.  Whata ya know 3" of ice.  Now 3" is a little less than I prefer (I'm a 4" guy) but imagine if they said 4" and was more like 2".  Some people are pizz poor judges of ice thickness.  I rely on no one but me.  I have never been on the wrong side of the ice in 40+ years of ice fishing, but my brother has....in the channel of the St. Lawrence River.  He was fortunate enough to make it out before the current carried him down river.

Take every precaution.  Wear a PFD, have ice picks on a rope around the back of your neck, carry a spud that can possibly keep you from going all the way under.  Now that I've scared the shazit outa ya.....Have Fun ;D
Rich Ferguson

Offline champlainmonster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 03, 2007, 07:28 PM »
well i think they just about covered it! good luck and keep us posted on how u make out
[*IMG]http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj285/wt_cba_08/Fishing/2-18-08001b-2.jpg[/IMG*]

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 04, 2007, 06:33 AM »
Check the reports page but keep in mind your 4 inches might be another persons 2 inches.

Offline pokerman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 04, 2007, 08:04 AM »
Just remember the "pokerman's girlfriend" rule.  If 3" is good enuff for her, it should be good enuff for you. ;D

Offline Fire~n~Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 04, 2007, 08:29 AM »
 :laugh:....I Love that Pokerman!!!!!  :tipup:

Tight Lines - Come on ICE!

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 04, 2007, 12:11 PM »
There's quite a bit that you guys have to consider. Moving water, the ice has only about half the strength of hard black ice, and if the ice has been partially melted and refrozen, you're looking at about 75% maximum strength.

I don't like to go out on less than an honest 3.5". Its just not worth it for me. We hear just about every year of someone falling through the ice and dying, and that's the last thing that IS needs. So tight lines, and stay on top, guys.

Offline Luffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag up!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 04, 2007, 02:46 PM »
All very good advice..  do some research before you go out and fish new waters..  currents and springs can be very tricky  I've been places where there might be over a foot of ice in one spot, and then found the thickness to be only a couple inches about ten feet away..  talk to other people, go on-line, etc.  But make sure that you're comfortable with what you're doing, and always verify information people give you before you go

If you haven't ice fished before, it will be nerve racking the first few times out, regardless of how thick the ice is.  Follow good safety practices, and over time you will begin to feel comfortable

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 04, 2007, 03:14 PM »
I'm comfortable with an inch of black ice. Espicially after my buddy and I were messing around on our quads last week on a small pond that had 1.5"-2" tops of black ice, and we were slowing going out on it(Were not that stupid, its a shallow pond near home lol). We were both suprised that it could hold us up on the wheelers. His is a bombardier that weighs like 600lbs and mine is a rancher that ways around 485 I believe. We backed out on the ice with our wheels touching, and we didn't go through or hardly even crack the ice. I'm not by any means encouraging this, but i'll now feel safe with a good inch of ice.
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #21 on: Dec 04, 2007, 07:14 PM »
I'm comfortable with an inch of black ice. Espicially after my buddy and I were messing around on our quads last week on a small pond that had 1.5"-2" tops of black ice, and we were slowing going out on it(Were not that stupid, its a shallow pond near home lol). We were both suprised that it could hold us up on the wheelers. His is a bombardier that weighs like 600lbs and mine is a rancher that ways around 485 I believe. We backed out on the ice with our wheels touching, and we didn't go through or hardly even crack the ice. I'm not by any means encouraging this, but i'll now feel safe with a good inch of ice.

ONE INCH!? It's been nice knowing you. You WILL be in the water for sure with that mentality. I hope I'm wrong, but that is just plaiin insane talk, and what is the rush for?
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline boober

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 04, 2007, 07:24 PM »
if you no what i no . the water is very cold this time of the year.play it safe and let a few more'' grow.or are you trying to see if your atv's flot's?stay safe and on top :tipup:

Offline thor94

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 04, 2007, 07:27 PM »
The quads may weigh more, but their weight is more distributed.  I'm as anxious as the next guy to get out, but i'll wait for 3-4"

Stay safe!

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #24 on: Dec 04, 2007, 08:36 PM »
I've been through before, its not to pleasant. And yeah, with the 26" ITP 589's it floats rather well! Its a small pond by my house that I know is shallow, We didn't go towards the deep water. I thought it was pretty impressive myself that so little ice would support that much weight. I realize that it is distributed more, but you have to figure about 1100lbs of fourwheelers, and then 375lbs between us. I think the distribution:weight ratio is a bit worse than a human walking.
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline Skunker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 04, 2007, 09:03 PM »
One inch thats insane :o.  Don't think I will be giving that a try anytime in the near future. LOL  Well I think I am going to give it another few weeks for some real good ice.  But doesn't mean I can't go buy some more stuff for the ice.  BPS this Sat.

Offline badlab1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 05, 2007, 02:53 AM »
I've been through before, its not to pleasant. And yeah, with the 26" ITP 589's it floats rather well! Its a small pond by my house that I know is shallow, We didn't go towards the deep water. I thought it was pretty impressive myself that so little ice would support that much weight. I realize that it is distributed more, but you have to figure about 1100lbs of fourwheelers, and then 375lbs between us. I think the distribution:weight ratio is a bit worse than a human walking.

There's a surprise...  ;D  lol  What was it that day? 1/4"?  3" of clear, black ice for me--then I'm still kinda nervous.

Offline JEBADIAH

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • R.I.P. JEB
« Reply #27 on: Dec 05, 2007, 06:34 AM »
I have fished 2in. black ice before and had one of the best days Ive ever had. Inside my shack it was like looking down into an aquarium, you could watch the big slobs circling all the way up...   Speaking of big slobs Im about 225 so 2in. will hold ya.

Offline BassBoss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 05, 2007, 07:18 AM »

ah there we go, 375 between you? Somebody needs to eat a sandwich!  :laugh:
Rooney eats it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.