New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Ice Fishing in Upstate NY  (Read 2635 times)

Offline mdr5014

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice Fishing in Upstate NY
« on: Nov 24, 2007, 03:13 PM »
Hi Guys-

My name is Megan Rossman and I am a photojournalism student at RIT.  We're currently looking to photograph ice fishing as part of a project on extreme winter sports.  I was wondering if there were any tournaments in the upstate NY region happening anytime before February?  Or if not, then maybe someone who would be willing to let some students photograph them???  Please let me know.  You can check out my web-site to view other stories I've done, www.meganrossman.com.

If you at all interested, please send me an e-mail, [email protected].  You would get copies of all the photos we'd take.  Thanks!

Megan

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice Fishing in Upstate NY
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2007, 03:51 PM »
I've never done it before but the "Northern Challange" is very big one in Tupper Lake. Google for details :afro:

Oh by the way, your killing me with the extreme sport thing but any press is good press :tipup:

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2007, 04:27 PM »
Megan, I sent you an e-mail.
Pete Lewis

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2007, 04:30 PM »
Oh by the way, your killing me with the extreme sport thing but any press is good press :tipup:

I was thinking the same thing....more along the lines of "when did ice fishing become extreme?" 

Offline adkman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2007, 06:24 PM »
http://tupperlakerodgunsportsclub.bravehost.com/index.htm

Tupper Lake Rod & Gun Clubs Northern Challenge

Offline jimd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2007, 10:06 PM »
I guess the "extreme sport" part comes in when the wind and snow pick up and the temp drops below zero. Or if you have to fight your way thru a foot of slush while crossing a lake, just to catch a few bluegills.

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2007, 10:41 PM »
Ken Lyon yearly tournament on the fulton chain is usually the first weekend in Feb, check it out if its not to late.
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #7 on: Nov 26, 2007, 07:56 AM »
It doesn't necessarily need to be a tournament does it? Most popular fishing spots, including Lake Ontario bays and the finger lakes close to RIT where Megan is, should have plenty of guys to volunteer for this project almost any time there is safe ice to get on, tournament or not.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline kappydick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 26, 2007, 02:16 PM »
I was thinking the same thing....more along the lines of "when did ice fishing become extreme?" 

Like 25 years ago when clams were to expensive and you had to sit on a bucket with your back to the wind     ;D

Offline IrishIce99

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am number 1. All others are number 2 or lower."
« Reply #9 on: Nov 27, 2007, 01:32 PM »
Bayside Bait and Tackle in Irondequoit has one every year in Feb.
Support local bait and tackle shops --> Jay-Ve <br />   

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 27, 2007, 01:34 PM »
I think there is going to be a contest in Caroga Lake around middle of January (12th or 19th). Supports local Fish and Game Club.
Proceeds stock the lakes with trout and walleye.

Offline Rif_Raf

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 27, 2007, 08:08 PM »
As it gets closer to the season you will see more talk about the tournaments.  There is also usually a thread dedicated to listing the tourneys.  If you are just looking to photograph Ice Fisherman and don't need a tournament you can go up to Saratoga lake any day, drive around Rt. 9p there are two spots you can find people and easy access to the lake.  The first is Finch Road it is off of Rt 9p and the other is at the state boat launch also on 9p and near the bridge near exit 14 on I 87.  I am sure you will not have any problem taking pics.  You will find that the people on the ice will be very friendly. Going on a weekend should give you bunch of people and all sorts of activity on the ice.

Offline hdqtrswp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2007, 12:32 AM »
must agree on the extreme sport
northern challenge 2008 tupper lake
about as extreme as they get!!

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #13 on: Dec 04, 2007, 01:15 AM »
The guys are right...you don't have to wait for some tournament to happen...once safe ice comes, there will be plenty of local lakes, ponds, etc. with someone or a lot of people out there pursuing their favorite winter sport. But if you REALLY want to know who the ice fisherman/women are...wait until the temps are in the single digits or less and the wind is howling and blowing snow....the folks you find out then are diehards. NOT the "well there's not enough snow to ride my snowmobile" or " hunting season's over" or especially the "football season's over and there's no game on" types...they will be true ice fisher(persons). They are the ones you want to talk to if you if you want to do a project on ice fishing as an "EXTREME" sport..... ;D...WK
Give your son a fish, and he will eat for a day.....teach your son to fish and eventually he'll end up kicking your @ss every time you fish together!!!

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #14 on: Dec 04, 2007, 10:46 AM »
The guys are right...you don't have to wait for some tournament to happen...once safe ice comes, there will be plenty of local lakes, ponds, etc. with someone or a lot of people out there pursuing their favorite winter sport. But if you REALLY want to know who the ice fisherman/women are...wait until the temps are in the single digits or less and the wind is howling and blowing snow....the folks you find out then are diehards. NOT the "well there's not enough snow to ride my snowmobile" or " hunting season's over" or especially the "football season's over and there's no game on" types...they will be true ice fisher(persons). They are the ones you want to talk to if you if you want to do a project on ice fishing as an "EXTREME" sport..... ;D...WK

and their standing in the 50mph wind with no shirt on and a cold beer in hand! Extreme.

Buzzing 50 holes by hand just to find em.
They guy sitting on a bucket in 10 degrees.
I like to promotion but were all extreme in my view.
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline icefishinman88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 04, 2007, 11:35 AM »
All the guys are right.Especially if you can get out during the week to ask some guys for your project.Gotta watch the weekend warriors.Some of em dont seem to know up from down. ;)If you want a lot of responses though in a short time the weekend would be the time to get out.

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 04, 2007, 12:09 PM »
and their standing in the 50mph wind with no shirt on and a cold beer in hand! Extreme.

Buzzing 50 holes by hand just to find em.
They guy sitting on a bucket in 10 degrees.
I like to promotion but were all extreme in my view.

I was hoping someone wasn't going to be honest ::)
How about walking out on very thin ice with a rope tied around you and  your buddy on the shore ready to pull you out if you fall through :o :o Extreme or Dangerous? probably both :laugh:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.