New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: South Shore Sportsman Sporting goods  (Read 3132 times)

Offline jimd

• IceShanty Rookie
South Shore Sportsman Sporting goods
« on: Nov 23, 2007, 12:04 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm Jim, the owner of South Shore Sportsman in Lakeport NY. I'm not very familiar with alot of the popular ice fishing products but since I have the only baitshop left on the south shore of Oneida Lake. I would really appreciate any input to help me stock up for this ice fishing season. My website has my shop # and cell # to make it more convenient for people to contact me at any time. I'm open part time but have it planned to be open early mornings saturday and sundays and possibly have bait and tackle delivery on the lake. Contact me here, call or stop in and tell me what works good for you, to help me get prepared ahead of the season.

Thanks,
Jim

www.southshoresportsma n.com

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: South Shore Sportsman Sporting goods
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2007, 02:22 PM »
Thanks Jim and welcome to the site you sure picked the best site going with a lot of people and knowledge.

Offline USMC130FE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 2008 NAIFC Contestant
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2007, 04:56 PM »
Cut and paste from the general section.....

Jim,
Welcome to IS for starters, you'll find the people here are great and loaded with a wealth or helpful information.  If you would, try and ask the local guy's on what they use and such.  Better to stock what is used in the area.  I know a bait store in Michigan that wasted too much of his store on Bass and Salmon fishing, appeared to have forgotten the Panfishers and such.  Took him a couple winters to figure out that it's hard to fish for Salmon trolling trough 10 inches of ICE.  Same with Bass chasers.  You don't have to stock everything but make sure you have enough for guy's like myself to choose from and offer to add items when there appears to be a need. 

Everyone always say's WallyWorld is hard to compete with which I find not to be true.  Offer your wares at a fair price, the personal service will offset the small price difference.  It's great to shop at a mom and pop's store, atleast I know thats where I shop for the most part.  I'll look at your website and get your number and give it to a few friends that live local and see if they can give you some ideas on stocking stuff for the HARDWATER!

Steve.
http://www.bluecrayfish.com/icefishpics/albums/userpics/2-18-08_001c.jpg

Sure the Marines are a Department of the Navy, We're the MENS DEPERTMENT!!!!

Offline crayfishbob

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2007, 06:38 AM »
Please keep in mind that Jim is only 4 mi from Marion Manor, and seeing they are closed this winter take the time to swing over and get your goodies there. Survival in the bait and tackle business depends ALOT on turning over stuff.

Retired , but still recovering ice fishing addict.

PWR BAIT

« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2007, 08:27 PM »
Please keep in mind that Jim is only 4 mi from Marion Manor, and seeing they are closed this winter take the time to swing over and get your goodies there. Survival in the bait and tackle business depends ALOT on turning over stuff.

I agree with you Bob, Today I stoped in and seen jimd to give him some insight on your basic needs for icefishing.He already had some of the stuff Don't be afraid to stop in say Hi, jim is a great guy he needs our information he is in a good location for our open and hard water needs for Oneida lake stop in and see him!

Offline jimd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2007, 10:00 PM »
How about fishing line?? Do you guys prefer certain brand, color, weight?

Offline USMC130FE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 2008 NAIFC Contestant
« Reply #6 on: Nov 26, 2007, 08:41 AM »
Jim,
I cannot access your website.  I've tried a bunch of times with no luck.  Please PM me your contact #'s or some way that I can email you.  My email is in my profile. 

Thanks,
Steve
http://www.bluecrayfish.com/icefishpics/albums/userpics/2-18-08_001c.jpg

Sure the Marines are a Department of the Navy, We're the MENS DEPERTMENT!!!!

PWR BAIT

« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2007, 04:52 AM »
How about fishing line?? Do you guys prefer certain brand, color, weight?

I use berkley micro ice  and they make a ice blue color from 2lb to 6lb it depends what your fishing for.I also use berkley crystal fire ice line the smallest you can get some peole use p-line folourcarbon ice line hope this helps.

Offline snelly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my new shanty
« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2007, 06:47 AM »
Hi great topic maybe you could start alittle survey in your area with the local sportman through the media perhaps put basic fishing questions about the waters fished in your area,what species are targeted, what products, eqiupment,lures, bait choices,etc. get as much imput as you can FAST ( the ice is coming ;D :D)then build your product line around that info. And good luck

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 28, 2007, 07:46 AM »
Kastmasters,sonars and jigging rapalas in various sizes. Will you have real buckeyes? My friends and I fish at least twice a week and you're in a good spot for us. Hole scoops and minnow nets are always in need and forgotten. Hand warmer packs,propane canisters,good ice creepers,katty jigs. I always buy the army surplus wool gloves and thought they'd sell regularly near any counter,cheap and they work. Empty five or better yet 7 gallon buckets with lids used or new. Buckeyes!! Not the gander  fake ones! I use 2lb. vanish and one of the guys I know uses 2 and 4lb trilene bright green line but truthfully the reels are already set for the winter for the most part. Good Luck

Offline jimd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 28, 2007, 08:36 AM »
Great help guy...thanks. Yes i willl have buckeyes. I've already ordered the jigging rapalas and have been working on another list of other lures and supplies. Thanks again for all your input.

Jim

Offline sgarri7777

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 29, 2007, 09:23 AM »
Don't forget sweedish pimples.  1/8 oz blue and silver is my favorite

Offline jimd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 29, 2007, 11:30 AM »
Thanks Rob, I'll stop over some weekend. As for swedish pimples...I'll be restocking them next so anybody has a favorite color pattern and weight, let me know.

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 29, 2007, 12:59 PM »
Nice to hear gander has the real deal. The information I went on was from winter before last. Last winter I did stop a couple of times and you didn't have any so I couldn't really comment on the buckeyes I couldn't buy. I do like the smaller bait shops when possible. Back on track, how much parking will you have and sidewinders are pretty popular for the eyes in winter and the chubby darters have been talked to death too buckshot spoons and hali jigs.

Offline jimd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 29, 2007, 01:04 PM »
I've got lots of parking area and I keep it plowed so if anyone needs a place to park while out fishing, theres no problem.

PWR BAIT

« Reply #15 on: Nov 29, 2007, 07:02 PM »
Thanks for the offer jim I will keep that in mind alot of good fishing off larkin pt ;D.

Offline jimd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 29, 2007, 07:14 PM »
thanks for suggesting gold kastmasters. Their selling faster than i can unpack them.

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 29, 2007, 07:56 PM »
Hi Jim, I'll be in once this semester is over!  As far as line I wouldn't go nuts, maybe Trilene in 2, 4, 6 lb test and if that sells try Fireline as an alternative.  A couple lures I haven't seen listed for ice are Side Winders and Hali jigs.  Caty jigs are awesome.  Maybe some football type jigs as well.  Can't go wrong with a fresh pot of coffee, nothing fancy!  I'll be stopping regularly for Buckeyes.  Do you carry any types of grubs (spikes, mousies, mealies, wax, etc...)?  Are kids welcome in the shop?  Maybe put your hours on your sites home page.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline jimd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 29, 2007, 08:25 PM »
As I get things in order, I'll have them available on my site. Due to the fact that I work a full time job, my hours during the week will be limited, but I will post them on my site soon. Mousies might be a little hard to find this season but everything else seems to be available. I havent been able to find any sidewinders so far.  OTIS.. kids are welcome to come in.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.