New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: The Weather  (Read 9776 times)

Offline Dr. BlueGill

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • November 18, 2008
Re: The Weather
« Reply #60 on: Dec 21, 2006, 11:05 PM »
Does anybody know where you can get a 30 day extended forecast so I know how long this agony has to last?   :sick:
Rob Taylor

Offline gair-z

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #61 on: Dec 21, 2006, 11:32 PM »
I hate to be the pessimist, but I heard last night on ch 4 out of Buf that this Dec. will go down in history as the fifth warmest ever and they are predicting that this winter will be the second warmest in history!  hey,,  they've been wrong before but they seem to be right on when it comes to El Nino sh!t. 

gair-z
Pres.    Cuba Lake Crappie Killers (pre Ice Shanty) (defunct)
2007 1st place Cuba Lake Wizard tourney - Perch
2013 1st place DSO Ice Tourney - Bluegill

Offline JNEMETH

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #62 on: Dec 22, 2006, 09:11 AM »
According to NOAA's Climate Prediction Center forcast that was posted on Dec.21st.
" The temperature outlook for Jan.,Feb.,Mar.,2007 calls for warmer than normal temperatures over most of the northern two thirds of the nation." Remember how poor conditions were last year? Well,as of this point we are much warmer than last year at this time of year. I'm gonna beg Slipbob to take me out on his boat. He should start a winter charter service.

Offline iceman1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Dec 22, 2006, 09:54 AM »
The weather looks like its cooling down here after Christmas. I hope this is a start to something. ???

Offline hwangler001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Dec 22, 2006, 07:00 PM »
According to NOAA's Climate Prediction Center forcast that was posted on Dec.21st.
" The temperature outlook for Jan.,Feb.,Mar.,2007 calls for warmer than normal temperatures over most of the northern two thirds of the nation." Remember how poor conditions were last year? Well,as of this point we are much warmer than last year at this time of year.

this is bad news indeed.

Offline Mentiply

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Dec 22, 2006, 07:40 PM »
Accuweather has changes it's forecast again this time in our favor with some colder temps on the way. I guess we shall see but with the way this year has been going it will probably change again.

http://wwwa.accuweather.com/forecast-15day.asp?partner=accuweather&myadc=0&traveler=1&zipcode=12845&metric=0

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Dec 23, 2006, 03:42 PM »
looking alot better but theres still some 40's int there  :-[ :'(

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline KingFisher1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Dec 24, 2006, 07:05 AM »
I woke and looked out the window to find the ground covered with snow this morning. Things are looking better. Lows in the 20s for the whole week!!! It won't be long now.  ;D

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Dec 24, 2006, 08:42 AM »

I've got my fingers crossed too. The western NY forecast is looking better. I've been ready since July this year. I got a new hip in January, a new Lazer hand auger in October, and Carpal tunnel surgery earlier this month. I've got my mobility back and want to get out SOON.

Offline TJC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • LAKER TAKER
« Reply #69 on: Dec 24, 2006, 08:53 AM »
You cant trust those weather men. They cant say what the weather is going to be 24 hours in advance. All they can do is predict. And that is like predicting a football game. Like I am going to predict the Bills win this week.(hopefully they do). I got a 50-50 chance they win

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Dec 24, 2006, 09:30 AM »
All I can is it is hot! Dang HOT!
I broke out the shorts and sandals today :(

Offline martinm

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Dec 24, 2006, 09:59 PM »
I took this quote directly from the farmers almanac site. Hasn't held up yet but hopefully its coming.

"While global warming has taken up much of our attention (as well as news coverage), our winter predictions are pointing towards widespread cold from coast to coast, especially for the western sections of the country,” shares Peter Geiger, Philom., Editor. Geiger continues, “The cold may not be as frigid as 30 or 40 years ago, but we do expect this to be the coldest winter we’ve seen for quite a few years.” And, after last year’s unusual warmth, this chill might make winter harder than usual."

Offline kayak2fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #72 on: Dec 24, 2006, 10:23 PM »
It looks like we may be getting some snow.  Now we need the ice. BTW, this is my first post here after lurking for awhile and as my name suggests, I kayak to fish ... most of the time. But I have rediscovered ice fishing in the last couple years and I am ready to hit the hard water. I like fishing Otsego Lake, Goodyear Lake, Canadarago Lake, Arnold Lake, Big Pond (although I think the bite has dropped off there in the last couple years) but most of all the 'dacks.

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Dec 25, 2006, 08:28 AM »
kayak there is quite a few big ponds in what county is it????

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline kayak2fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #74 on: Dec 25, 2006, 10:07 AM »
kayak there is quite a few big ponds in what county is it????

The Big Pond in Delaware County, right near the Ulster County line. It's a year-round trout water. Ice fished it a couple times last year with not much luck. It was also tough during spring and summer.

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Dec 25, 2006, 10:41 AM »
yea i fish there also not in open water just ice..... what do u usaully use???? they seem to like swedish pimples i cuaght a nice one last year on one i believe he was 23 or 24 "

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline Retired ECO

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rooolz!
« Reply #76 on: Dec 25, 2006, 10:54 AM »

What ICE ? The good news: boat fishing has been great, bad news: I was on Keuka and Canandaigua lakes last week and the water temp's were as follows:  Canandaigua Lake 41 degrees, Keuka Lake  43 degrees. Usually this time of year, open water fishing on these two lake will not show temps above 36. I have boat fished these waters for years but have only had a depth finder/ w temp for the last ten. It appears that as last year the only ice fishing may take place on shallow lakes (Waneta, Lomoka, Honeoye, etc.) I'm waiting !!!  Merry Christmas to all and a very cold New Year !!!!

Offline kayak2fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #77 on: Dec 25, 2006, 12:03 PM »
yea i fish there also not in open water just ice..... what do u usaully use???? they seem to like swedish pimples i cuaght a nice one last year on one i believe he was 23 or 24 "
We usually use live minnows on tip-ups or ice flies. In open water, I troll rapalas or a lake clear's with a fly or worm. I had heard the small dam bursting might have hurt the fishing. I don't know. I won't be using anything until Jack Frost decides to stick around.

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Dec 25, 2006, 01:03 PM »
shouldnt be long now though i heard its in low 20's up there at night and like 35 during the day soo the should be making some ice....hopefully  :tipup:

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.