New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: new sporting godds store in utica area  (Read 2599 times)

Offline smeltking

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
new sporting godds store in utica area
« on: Mar 05, 2012, 12:55 PM »
I heard there was a new store that opened up this winter in the utica marcy area can anyone tell me where it is located and the name. maybe even the hours or phone number

Offline missfishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • here fishy fishy...
Re: new sporting godds store in utica area
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2012, 02:30 PM »
theres a new bait shop and they sell some icefishing gear it's called home town bait it's in the Marcy plaza on rt 49 just west of rt 12 don't know if that the one you refer to  :-\

Offline Racer268

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2012, 03:53 PM »
Hometown Bait & Tackle,  9835 River Rd Marcy  534-9740.  My bud & I gave them a try a few weeks ago.  Seems like a nice young man and good lively minnows.    Small selection of Ice gear at that time.  Open at 5:00am Wed's - Sun. I would shop there again.

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • NYS Ranger School Alum '09. SUNY ESF Alum '11
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2012, 08:27 PM »
Hometown Bait and tackle is my go to bait shop. I have had buckeyes and shinners last 3 weeks with out food and only changing the water. I an almost posative I am one of thier best customers lol. They can count on my continued business. They will take care of you there.

Offline perchfilet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2012, 07:10 AM »
What good is it having bait last for three weeks; you can't use it any more?

Offline missfishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • here fishy fishy...
« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2012, 11:35 AM »
Hometown Bait and tackle is my go to bait shop. I have had buckeyes and shinners last 3 weeks with out food and only changing the water. I an almost posative I am one of thier best customers lol. They can count on my continued business. They will take care of you there.
but of course you didn't use them after 10 days you were just trying to see how long they would live right  ;) ;D

Offline missfishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • here fishy fishy...
« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2012, 11:39 AM »
just stopped there this AM. Rick, from gander mountain was holding down the shop. he says they will be getting a lot more stuff in soon fly fishing and trout fishing stuff for spring they always give you a good minnow count and there always friendly.

Offline fishingPole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2012, 11:49 AM »
Didn't do too much ice fishing this season, but when I did stop there I was treated well.  Honest couple of guys with a good selection of various sizes and types of minnows as well as fair prices and as missfishy said, good minnow count.  Good fisherman friendly hours too!  They deserve our support  ;)
Leave it better than you found it

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 06, 2012, 12:13 PM »
What good is it having bait last for three weeks; you can't use it any more?
The fact that the bait there is quality. I would much rather have bait last well over the certified time period than have bait that all dies in 2 days.

Offline bigZin315

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 06, 2012, 02:54 PM »
they have great bait ive been going in there once a week since the lakes froze...never had an issue always good bait that lasts weeks
It's not that fishing is so important, it's just that so many things in life are so much less important

Offline IceLabrador

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lead me to all of your secret spots or I'll bite!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 06, 2012, 08:19 PM »
where are they in relation to Dunkin donuts and the post office.....tried to look for them the other day but was unsuccessful

Offline northernmaddness

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 06, 2012, 08:53 PM »
not on 5s. on rt 5. just past lowes coming from herkimer. really cool guys that definatly hook you up with bait but there is no way i could keep the med shiners or the buckeyes i have gotten alive for 3 weeks.  everyday i wake up with at least 5 less minnows. not sure why, but i change  the water after a few days and always keep air on them.

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 07, 2012, 05:01 AM »
where are they in relation to Dunkin donuts and the post office.....tried to look for them the other day but was unsuccessful
Coming from rt 12 heading towards Marcy if you go past the gas station Dunkin Donuts you have gone too far. They are right in the small outlet right befor the gas station off towards the back. They don't have much for tackle yet but they are stocking the shelves with open water stuff and lots of fly tying stuff.

Offline fishingPole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 07, 2012, 11:17 AM »
Location - They're on the old Rt. 49, just west of the RT. 12 bridge as you approach Flanagan Road and the Marcy town line going west.  Small plaza on the right before the Sunoco station, a place called Barr's Bar in the front of the plaza, Hometown bait is off to the back.
Leave it better than you found it

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 07, 2012, 01:46 PM »
Their emeralds lasted more than a few days? How's that possible? I can keep them more than 3 days

Offline fishfinger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 07, 2012, 03:44 PM »
Been there once, at night. It's located here http://binged.it/x2wrH6 if I'm not mistaken.

Offline blackice21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 07, 2012, 03:58 PM »
Hometown bait and tackle I love the shop. called one day when i was running late the owner taylor stayed over a half hour and all i needed was spikes i ended up getting a few things extra for his troubles but thats the kinda service that i would come back for everytime. I love supporting local business owners and this guy has good prices healthy fish always in stock and his takle selection is getting better. Deffinetly stop in and atleast check the place out.  SHOP LOCAL no big box store there is no personal service. 

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 07, 2012, 06:35 PM »
Their emeralds lasted more than a few days? How's that possible? I can keep them more than 3 days
They had a bad batch of buckeyes or emerald shinners a few weeks ago. I had my bait last a long time with just changing the water and keeping the aerator going. I keep my bait in the dark cold abyss called my cellar.

Offline arcticicejigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 07, 2012, 11:12 PM »
ice lab, your at the fast track and 4 seasons pizza intersection ! you need to go east on 49 and go down a mile and a half or so!  where u see the the gas station and dunkin on the left side,  its just past it in the back! harth and home is accross the street, they also sell pools! think theres a pool sign out there!

Offline IceLabrador

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lead me to all of your secret spots or I'll bite!
« Reply #19 on: Mar 10, 2012, 08:30 AM »
Thanks guys will definitely check it out.

Offline NYBeastFisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Mar 10, 2012, 01:02 PM »
Awesome shop. Great guys. Been hitting them up every weekend. Gave my buddy a shiner that landed him a 15 lbs. 38in northern on Cranberry Lake

Offline TD2323

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Nov 27, 2012, 09:25 AM »
Resurrecting this one because I found it in a Google search for bait shops in my area.  Does anyone know if they are open still?  I called yesterday and didn't get an answer.

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 27, 2012, 05:04 PM »
Hometown Bait and Tackle has been open all summer. You must have caught them at a bad time. If they don't have what you are looking for ask and there is a good chance they can get it for you.

P.S. they are now a Nils Master dealer and will be working on orders.

Offline TD2323

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Nov 27, 2012, 07:21 PM »
Thanks a lot, it's been tough finding minnows near Utica since gander got rid of their tanks.  I'll try stopping down there soon.  Does anyone know if they carry suckers?

Offline billybob851

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 27, 2012, 10:03 PM »
yes they carry suckers and I think they close on mondays until ice starts

Offline adksguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 27, 2012, 11:12 PM »
Hometowns great they service is second to none and I am a firm believer in helping out local before a big box store just stopped there today and they're getting a big shipment of ice stuff within the week and if there is anything specific u want he can get it and will go out of his way to do so new fav bait shop and its worth stopping by to check out the wall of fame fish pics even bring one to add god knows everyone on this site likes to see big fish!!! :thumbsup:
good ice, good buds, and good times that's what it's all about!!

Offline EvanW86

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fresh hardwater fish. the best
« Reply #26 on: Nov 28, 2012, 02:55 PM »
nice ill use that joint when im in the area
Just another day on the ice!!!

Offline TD2323

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Nov 29, 2012, 06:46 AM »
Stopped down the other day.  Nice little shop.  Had some ice stuff out and said a lot more would be in this week.  Good prices on everything.  Showed me a few things he had that were cheaper than Wal-Mart haha my hats off to a small biz that can stay competitive in this day and age.  Even had English hooks which I haven't been able to find anywhere.  I'll be back for sure.

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Nov 29, 2012, 10:06 AM »
What's their address?  I wouldn't mind taking a ride to see what they have.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline Kuyahoorakid

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Have Ice? Will Travel...
« Reply #29 on: Nov 29, 2012, 02:35 PM »
These guys are great. Last year, I called to get bait, he said the shop was currently closed, but he was in the area and he would open up for me to get a few dozen minnows. That's customer service! They are located in the Marcy Plaza, near the Dunkin Doughnuts, behind the bar in the plaza.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.