The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: brushles drills and torque  (Read 2838 times)

Offline dairyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
brushles drills and torque
« on: Mar 10, 2018, 07:47 PM »
I purchased a new brushless drill to use on my auger...........needle ss to say it caught at the bottom of the hole and threw me on the ice on my shoulder. I would advise everyone to use a clam plate with these new drills to avoid what I have been going through.  Torn tendon in two places that required rotocuff surgery and at that my season was done

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: brushles drills and torque
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2018, 07:43 AM »
That looks (is) awful!   I normally take my gas auger to the out lakes, but occasionally use the drill without the Clam plate when fishing in front of the house (because I am too lazy to put it on) your post makes me think.  Hope you heal quickly.  Thank you for sharing.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2018, 08:20 AM »
So tell us, was it that Milwalkee 1200 Pound drill and a Lazer Auger? Kinda want to know what drill threw you on the ice? My Ridgid twisted my wrist a couple of times when I used the Nero Mini Handle but since I put the Drill handle on it I have been fine. Also did you have the drills handle attached?

And sorry to hear you had this experience,I had that surgery also but from something else.
<===Lefty===

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2018, 08:33 AM »
hope you get better soon. were you leaning on the drill? did the drill do that or landing on the ice do that?

Offline icefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2018, 10:37 AM »
That looks painful that's why i use my clam plate get well soon. ouch

Offline deerefishyfishy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 12, 2018, 05:42 AM »
dairyman, sorry to hear about your injury and loss of your ice season. Hope you have a quick recovery and everything heals up well. Also hope you are still able to work with that severe of an injury- especially if you are involved in the farming end of the dairy industry (like I was for years!). Best of luck!!
The hardest part of ice fishing is casting!

Early to bed, early to rise
fish all day and make up lies!

Offline BigSling

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 12, 2018, 08:16 AM »
Yikes, I've slipped and fallen on the ice before but never came up looking like that. Must have been one heck of a force throwing you down.

Please share your setup (brand/model drill, battery size, auger). Some augers seem to catch more at the bottom and knowing the drill/battery could help identify a power issue.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #7 on: Mar 12, 2018, 09:05 AM »
 hope you heal well. it's a bummer it happened for sure!

recommend those who are new to this to use the clutch until you know better how to handle them. wouldn't hurt to use the clutch anyways unless the clutch can't handle the load. lift up some to lesson the load. never push down on an auger. if you have to push down to cut ice you have dull blades and those would be dangerous to use. or you have a bent/misaligned blade mount or both.

no need for a plate for myself. been using this type of setup for years. also off ice drilling large holes with basket saws for plumbing. just use the auxiliary handle.

more info on how it threw you would be good for others so they know what to look for before it happens to them. such as did it twist your arm while holding it before it threw you, like you couldn't let go of it with only one hand left holding onto it? that's what looks like what happened to me.
or did it just throw you and your damage is from hitting the ice alone? were you using the aux handle? did you keep it riding on your leg or not? were you using an extension? how old is the auger and size and brand?

thanks for sharing what can happen with power tools and large bits. i know when things go bad it happens fast.
hoping for a speedy recovery!

Offline dairyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 12, 2018, 09:39 AM »
It was the milwaukee fuel with a 6 inch nils auger.  As far as I can remember the auger bit caught at the bottom of the hole,
broke the "crappy" 2 point stabilizing handle and threw me to the ground. I took it back to the store and exchanged it for the Dewalt brushless that has a stabilizing handle that clamps on to the chuck---------360 degree contact instead of just 2 points.  I also purchased the clam drill plate for more stability on the set up
Looking forward to fishing with the boat at this time and then back on the ice this next season

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #9 on: Mar 12, 2018, 10:31 AM »
thank you!

there has been talk here this year of that drill casting breaking where the aux. handle is attached on the drill casing. seems like a law suit could be in the future for them.
it keeps breaking on the ear that the aux. handle is pinched onto and on the side where your hand is using the handle and so far not on the opposite end of the aux. handle casting of the drill.
i also like my aux. handle that uses a band to go all of the way around the drill, but it still relies on one bolt to not break to keep the handle in tact.

so it does sound like you only had one hand left on the drill and twisted your arm severely after the casting broke.
maybe you might think about lawyering up for pain and suffering and hospital bills.
they need to fix this problem and fast. only way they will listen is when it cost them money.

did you get any pictures of the casting that broke? there are some on this site. the only way to get around this problem until they fix it is to use a plate so your not relying on a faulty design. this years model of the 1200 inch pound drill is the one with casting issues. or so it seems by the posts made here this year.

this drill did put another shanty member in the hospital this season. it broke his wrist on the hand that was left holding the drill after the aux. handle broke off.

Offline dairyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 12, 2018, 04:47 PM »
I would say more of a PPD ---piss poor design---then a casting issue.  Two points of contact on the drill just doesn't cut it.
I go to the Dr. tomorrow so he can take the stitches out ,then I have to wait another 2 weeks before I can start therapy >:(

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 12, 2018, 05:57 PM »
 Just what is needed, more law suits, that was a big help in the current cost of everyone's health care!

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 13, 2018, 08:04 AM »
Sorry it happened. All i can say is Clam Plate. Don't leave home without it.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 13, 2018, 04:37 PM »
Just what is needed, more law suits, that was a big help in the current cost of everyone's health care!

Nobody's talking about suing a doctor. The fact that dairyman needed emergency surgery is going to bump your healthcare costs more than suing the drill manufacturer.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline dairyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 13, 2018, 05:52 PM »
I did end up having surgery,but it wasn't emergency surgery
I had my stitches removed today and see the Dr in a couple more weeks and hopefully can start my physical therapy then
looking forward to the boating season now------come on spring :)

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 13, 2018, 11:34 PM »
Sorry dairyman, reread previous message, didn't mean to suggest you are raising our premiums. Just meant that Obamacare doesn't care if you sue Milwaukee.

Hope you have a quick recovery and get back on the fish soon.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline dairyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 14, 2018, 06:24 AM »
no problem

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 18, 2018, 02:52 PM »
Very unfortunate, I hope you are fully recovered soon dairyman. Clam plate is a critically important part of any drill auger in my opinion. It's hard to believe that there are still people on this site that are actually calling the plate "not needed." The 1200 in/lb Milwaukee handle alone IS NOT enough when a ice auger catches at the bottom of the hole.

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Mar 18, 2018, 03:15 PM »
I have the Dewalt brushless 20V dcd 995 drill with a machined adapter which screws on the spindle after removing the chuck. The finbore auger attaches the same as it does with the stock handle with a threaded machined thumbscrew. I have to be careful at the end of the hole so it doesn't catch. The handle design on the Dewalt is far superior to the Milwaukee. I wouldn't use it without the handle since the torque would be really bad. I have some friends who use the clam plate and are happy with them.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.