Author Topic: Lake Trout Recipes  (Read 4226 times)

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
Lake Trout Recipes
« on: Feb 10, 2014, 07:56 PM »
Would like to try some lake trout recipes. Post them all here!

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Lake Trout Recipes
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2014, 06:05 AM »
Soak the fillets in an milk and egg mixture over night. Then bread them with your favorite coating. I prefer Uncle Bucks beer batter.  They are so good you won't be able to stop eating it.  ;D

Offline perchtrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2014, 07:59 AM »
Get one of those boards to cook fish on.... you know the rest IMO ;D ;D ;D

Online missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2014, 11:47 AM »
I've made a casserole out of fillets in the past. No real recipe, I just wing it. 9x13 glass pan. Sliced potatoes on the bottom, sliced onions, then a few fillets of small macs, then potatoes and onions. Pour a mixture of milk, a bit of flour mixed into the milk as a thickening agent and spices over the top of it all then cover with grated cheddar cheese and bake at a 350 till good and bubbly and cheese is crispy. Just a modification on potatoes AU gratin basically.

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2014, 02:37 PM »
If I'm going to eat lakers, I like to keep small ones in the 18-22" range for grilling or broiling, if I keep any larger than that they're for the smoker. Here's what I use to baste the filets with for grilling or broiling...

This recipe will do 4lbs of filets.

1 stick of Butter (not margarine)

1 Tbsp. Lemon juice

1 Tbsp. Worcestershire

1 Tbsp. Italian Dressing

Hefty dash of salt and pepper

Dash of fine ground red pepper (cayenne) OPTIONAL

1. Filet the fish and remove the skin. Trim away any fatty deposits, bones, etc.

2. Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the remaining ingredients, whisk together to blend.

3. Pat the excess moisture off the filets and lay them on a foil lined baking sheet or put them in a grilling basket and baste them with the mixture. Flip the filets over and baste the other side.

4. Broil the filets at 350-375 degrees or grill at a medium-high heat 4-7 minutes per side depending on thickness. Turn or flip the filets once (at the halfway point) during the cooking process and baste again with the remaining mixture.

5. Filets are done when they flake easily with a fork and the juices are clear.

ENJOY!! ;D

WK

Give your son a fish, and he will eat for a day.....teach your son to fish and eventually he'll end up kicking your @ss every time you fish together!!!

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2014, 02:45 PM »
I'm excited to try some of these this weekend  :)

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2014, 04:25 PM »
When fresh I fillet them, dip them in the milk and egg mixture, coat the fillets in cracker crumbs and fry them. Delicious!
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2014, 04:39 PM »
When fresh I fillet them, dip them in the milk and egg mixture, coat the fillets in cracker crumbs and fry them. Delicious!

Tried and true old school...works for any/all!! ;)

WK
Give your son a fish, and he will eat for a day.....teach your son to fish and eventually he'll end up kicking your @ss every time you fish together!!!

Offline mudmaster315

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2014, 05:52 PM »
I caught one today. First one for me. My buddys gave me there limits to try in the smoker. Looks like I will have to try them other ways too.  Everyone says they are fishy and oily  guess there's only one way to find out. 
Here fishy fishy fishy, Im gonna get ya!

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2014, 06:30 PM »
I caught one today. First one for me. My buddys gave me there limits to try in the smoker. Looks like I will have to try them other ways too.  Everyone says they are fishy and oily  guess there's only one way to find out.
[/quote

soaking them in egg and milk gets the fishy and oily taste out :o :o

Offline Capt Phil

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2014, 10:41 PM »
for the lakers I catch out on Superior there is only one way I cook them and all the clients that I tell this to come back saying the love it!

ingredients:
- fillets (w/ skin on), brown paper bag from grocery store, 1 lemon, lemon pepper, garlic power, butter.

Cooking:
- take your fillets and place them skin down on the brown paper bag.
- Cut bag to size of fillet leaving 1/2" of bag on all sides.
- place a couple pieces of butter on top of the fillet and spread a little bit
- season the fillet with the lemon pepper and garlic (Mrs. dash seasoning can be used as well or what ever other seasonings you prefer)
- place a couple slices of lemon on each fillet
- place the fillets on the grill after preheated. the bag lies directly on the grill (It will not burn because of the oils from the fish)
- cook roughly 10-15 mins per inch of thickness in the fillet and turn the fillets every now and then. (you will see the fillet start to turn color and look cooked; when the whole fillet looks this color it is ready
- take off grill and starting from the tail using a spatula get between the meat and the skin and separate. the skin will stick right to the bag. you can also peel the bag off and the skin will stick to it or just dig in with a fork.

I cook lots of lake trout and everyone who eats it this way is in love with it. depending on the lake you catch them from this may not be the best method. The cold water from lake superior and the fact that I fish 200' or less prevents me from getting the "Greasers" or "fats" that a lot of people think of with lake trout.

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #11 on: Feb 11, 2014, 11:11 PM »
Huh. Interesting. First time I've seen that. I'll be getting mine out of the finger lakes. I saw some monsters on YouTube being pulled out of superior.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2014, 05:38 AM »
Some good ideas. Now if I could get some trout  ???

WS

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #13 on: Feb 12, 2014, 08:16 AM »
When in Canada I was frying Lake Trout and some guys came from another cabin when they heard about it. They had never fried lakers because they had heard they were greasy. They loved them. Once they have been frozen it's smoker time.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Capt Phil

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 12, 2014, 06:55 PM »
Huh. Interesting. First time I've seen that. I'll be getting mine out of the finger lakes. I saw some monsters on YouTube being pulled out of superior.
I caught about 2000 lakers out of Superior this year and my biggest one was 32# 43"

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #15 on: Feb 12, 2014, 08:11 PM »
These guys are fun to watch

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.