Author Topic: Favorite recipes??  (Read 3798 times)

Offline slabcommander

• Team IceShanty Regular
Favorite recipes??
« on: Feb 04, 2014, 09:41 PM »
C'mon guys, all this talk of limits and fillin' the freezer has me wondering.....What's your favorite recipes???? Panfish, Lakers, walleye etc. Let's see what your go to is or anything you make unique. I'm a local chef and will start with my contribution-best ever grilled lake trout. People say they aren't good, and I promise you will love this recipe. The key is lots of vinegar and a good 8 hours to marinate. The sugar/vinegar really cuts the grease and adds a nice sweetness. Like an Italian dressing kinda thing but this has more vinegar and you will not taste any strong oily flavors. Nothing fancy, but real good.

Italian BBQ laker-makes 1 large fillet
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup good olive oil
2 t minced garlic about 2 cloves
2T sugar
2T dijon mustard
1t salt
1/2 t pepper
2 sprigs fresh thyme minced
1t dried oregano
combine and place in a large zip lock bag...

you gotta let this marinate for 8 hours in a air tight zip lock bag. Then, remove from marinade and discard excess marinade. Place on a hot grill to prevent sticking and also to get a nice char on the fillet. Grill 5 minutes on each side only flipping once to keep the fish from falling apart. Serve with your favorite tartar sauce or fresh lemon and extra virgin olive oil, you'll love it.

Offline Cusefan78

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Favorite recipes??
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2014, 09:50 PM »
Hate to be the box guy but 1/2 Cajun 1/2 regular shore meal deep fried Pan  fish is my go to
2011 King of the pond champion. Don't hate me cause I'm great!

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2014, 11:32 PM »
There are various recipes/ways to mix these, but if you've never tried walleye with bacon, onions and a little honey on top you are missing out! I generally cook the bacon, throw the onions in right before the bacon is done. Then bread and fry the walleye in the bacon grease. When done throw the bacon and onions back on the stove to warm up and then put em on top of the fish. Drizzle honey lightly over for a little sweetness.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2014, 01:02 AM »
When I don't want to deep fry them I cover the bottom of a fry pan with Olive oil (any high temp oil will do). Slice cloves of garlic in to the hot oil, covering the bottom of the pan. Drop the floured fillets on to the sliced garlic, cook and flip on to more garlic. When done right, you end up with fillet covered with a lightly brown, crispy toasted garlic coating that is mild (the garlic is cooked) and very healthy.

Offline the Wizard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2014, 01:26 PM »
Easy clean scampi:    Line a cookie sheet with tin foil, soften a stick of butter, run any pan fish fillets  under warm water [so butter stays fluid],dip in the butter to coat .  place fillets on the cookie sheet crowded together then sprinkle a good coating of Italian bread crumbs over top.  I then sprinkle garlic salt lightly over all then put in the broiler for 5 min.  [ more for thicker fish like walleye] pull out , sprinkle Mozzarella cheese on top and put back in for 1 min.   Done.
Once you eat the fish, throw the foil away and put the cookie sheet away.                                               Wiz
If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. – Thomas Jefferson

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry. – Thomas Jefferson

Offline TheThinIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bowhunter first, everything else second.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2014, 01:27 PM »
There are various recipes/ways to mix these, but if you've never tried walleye with bacon, onions and a little honey on top you are missing out! I generally cook the bacon, throw the onions in right before the bacon is done. Then bread and fry the walleye in the bacon grease. When done throw the bacon and onions back on the stove to warm up and then put em on top of the fish. Drizzle honey lightly over for a little sweetness.

Sounds great!

Offline TheThinIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bowhunter first, everything else second.
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2014, 01:29 PM »
I'm happy beer battering just about anything.
Lakers get baked with a honey/maple/brown sugar/dijon mustard glaze.

Offline jigasol

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2014, 02:07 PM »
bake fillets in a buttered caserole dish with garlic cloves chopped onions and shredded cheese on top.not too long!!!when done add fish and all juices to a large sauce pan that you have heated olive oil ,stewed tomatoes,shrimp and season with lemon pepper and italian seasoning.serve over linguini.16.95 in an italian resturant but better cause of the fresh fish !!!

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2014, 05:31 PM »
Sounds great!

It is! Mmm I'm getting hungry

Offline slabcommander

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2014, 09:39 PM »
LOL you guys are making me hungry......

Offline wec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2014, 03:20 AM »
Here's a recipe for lake trout.  Pre heat oven to 350 degree's.  Take whole laker, spread mayo over entire body, sliced onions on top, add spices; salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, basil, and smoked paparika.  Flip over, and do the same for the other side.  Warp with aluminum foil good.  Bake in oven for about 20 minuets, turn over so the juices flow through the fish, and bake another 20 minuets.  Comes out great.

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2014, 04:32 AM »
Place the filets in a caserole dish. Cover them with either Wegmans pesto Italion classics or any one of their Italian classics bruchetta or both.  Now thickly cover with a shredded cheeze of your choice. Bake at 350 for about 20-25 min.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2014, 06:06 AM »
1......fresh  fish

2 .....hot grease

3  ......cold  beer

Offline steinea286

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 06, 2014, 06:31 AM »
Panfish Scampi: This is a great recipe that takes hardly any time at all to construct. It started with the simple idea of "shrimp scampi" with the classic butter, garlic and fish in a fry pan, put over spaghetti and sprinkle parm cheese over the top. I have since added a little thyme, red pepper flakes, onions, and mushrooms to the mix. Boy does it make a simple and delicious meal. Have some garlic bread and bacon wrapped asaparagus with a brown sugar glaze over the top and you have a gourmet meal!

Offline thinktwicez71

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2014, 07:50 AM »
/\ drool  :o man that sounds great , going to have to try that one

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2014, 08:36 AM »
Most of my gills and crappie go into an egg wash and  4C's Italian bread crumbs and fried, but we did get 2 pike over 35 inches last week and I made some unbelievable mock crab cakes. First took the de-boned pike and gave it a small dice 1/4 chunks,then added beaten egg,old bay seasoning,black pepper,garlic powder,dry parsley,fresh lemon juice,some rooster hot sauce  and enough plain bread crumb to bind it altogether,then formed the cakes,dipped in egg wash and panko bread crumbs and pan fried 1/2 butter 1/2 olive oil. Made two condiments horseradish and ketchup (cocktail sauces )and old bay and real mayo dip.It was just like eating lump crab cakes without the $18 per pound  crabmeat. You got to try it.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Feb 06, 2014, 09:26 AM »
Man, this thread gets me hungry.

WS

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #17 on: Feb 06, 2014, 10:13 AM »
I crush Ritz crackers and mix them with some seasoned bread crumbs salt and pepper and a tbs of parmason in a bag. Egg wash  dredge in flour egg wash again and in the bag shake it up to coat then fry in canola oil at 350.
I have to beat back the wife and daughter to get any.
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline Mike Reilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 06, 2014, 04:43 PM »
egg wash  flour and crushed up bbq middleworth  chips  and throw in the fryer  mmm  good

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 06, 2014, 11:20 PM »
Heat oven to 400 degrees and the melt some butter in a sauce pan and sauté a couple of tablespoons or more of diced onion and celery.
Add some Bay Seasonings and the rest of the stick of butter and when butter melts add 1 cup of bread crumbs and either a can of crab meat or a can of baby shrimp. 

Add more bread crumb if needed to make a stuffing and the season to taste with whatever like poultry seasonings or more Old Bay, garlic salt or pepper. 

Now stuff and roll crappie, bass or walleye fillets and pin with a tooth pick.  Cook in oven until fish is flaky or about 15 minutes tops if cold out of refrig. 

Offline woodbury pond

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 07, 2014, 10:08 AM »
My favorite:

Bring a camp stove and a pot on the ice.
Heat up slowly with small chunks of bacon or salt pork
Add chopped onions and garlic
Add carrots/celery/potato
Throw in small filet cuts of whatever you just caught
Add some water, bullion cubes, and a bit of beer
Add a small can of condensed milk

Nothing beats eating hot fish chowder on the ice while watching flags!

Offline Pindrifter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I go to nature to have my senses put in order.
« Reply #21 on: Feb 09, 2014, 02:46 PM »
Smoked Trout, Rainbow or steelhead, I chunk the fish, Put in glass container, Put a little Sprinkel a little Mortons Quick cure salt on each piece on both sides, Let stand for 25 mins.  Rinse in cold water, And let sit for About 25 more, I use a small electric smoker , Sprinkel a little brown sugar on the pieces, Smoke with two pans of alder wood ,for 2 and 1/2 hours.  I always do it in the spring when it warms up ,  I burn one pan of wood and then 1hour and 15 mins add another pan of wood.  Best smoked trout you ever eaten, I promise.

Offline Pindrifter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I go to nature to have my senses put in order.
« Reply #22 on: Feb 09, 2014, 02:51 PM »
That's Morton Tender Quick home meat cure,  Its a salt

Offline Boostguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 10, 2014, 10:46 AM »
My Fav for Walleye!

I take 2 sleeves of salted crackers and half bag of Fish Crisp Cajun mix, beat down the crackers obviously!!
soak fillets in eggs then in bag, shake shake shake and in the frying pan with a little bit of Peanut oil!!!  ;)

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #24 on: Feb 10, 2014, 10:56 AM »
I use saltines in breading mix as well   ;D

Offline gary dee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 11, 2014, 02:38 PM »
Ritz crackers are a good coating

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum