Author Topic: shiner box  (Read 1168 times)

Offline fishingwithkids

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • pop your magic twanger froggy........
shiner box
« on: Feb 23, 2010, 06:36 PM »
hello all. im kinda new at this. i am interested in building a shiner box that i can sink in a brook so i can have fresh bait without waiting for the sports shop to open. anyone have any plan or ideas what might work. thanks for your time.

Offline thefinlessbrown2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • fulfilling dreams in good company
Re: shiner box
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2010, 04:54 AM »
if you have access to an old washing machine the drum will serve the purpose with minimal modifactions needed ..

Offline deerme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2010, 07:51 AM »
the easiest thing to do is go buy a rubbermaid (or other) plastic bin and an aerator (bubble or aquarium type).  fill it w/ water and throw your shiners in there.  keep it in the garage or basement - whatever's closer to 32 degrees.  here's a look at mine.

keep lights off and cover on - the darker the better

very affordable way of keeping shiners for weeks....

Offline shadfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2010, 08:23 AM »
Nice system what happened to the green coffin  ;D

Offline deerme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2010, 08:30 AM »
Nice system what happened to the green coffin  ;D

haha!! that worked great when i lived in an apartment and had to keep them outside.  now that i have a basement, this is all i need  ;D ;D

Offline baitemin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2010, 10:10 AM »
  Had a great set up  ;D  ! Perimeter drain around the house ran almost year round. I sunk a 30 gallon plastic drum in the ground on the low end of the outlet. 4" PVC in and 4" PVC out just below the rim of the barrel and used a 4" round ridge vent on the outlet to keep them in.The barrel must be lower than than the inlet so the water falls and creates the oxygen that helps them stay alive. Then built a little hinged cover to keep it cool in the summer and no snow / ice in the winter. Also was cool enough to keep your worms/crawlers out of the fridge.

Offline I fish NH

• IceShanty Rookie
This might be a dumb question but............
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2010, 10:15 AM »
to keep shiners or smelt for weeks like that do you need to feed them? Just curious.

Offline baitemin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2010, 10:24 AM »
I might have put a slice of bread in but it was almost year round. I did loose some here and there but it was only because the drain around the house dried up(July/August).

Offline deerme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: This might be a dumb question but............
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2010, 10:38 AM »
to keep shiners or smelt for weeks like that do you need to feed them? Just curious.

when you throw bread or dog food in there, the water gets REAL dirty.  you need to give them something in the summer, but as long as the water is nice and cool in the winter, they'll live for a LONG time w/out food...

Offline baitemin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2010, 10:52 AM »
Before I moved ...I stumped and cleared for a garage then decided to dig a small pond 20' x 20' with the excavator I had rented. the perimeter drain ran in and out of this also. I have "heard you can trap shiners here now". The most important thing is oxygen in the water.

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
Re: This might be a dumb question but............
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2010, 10:58 AM »
I've only kept them during the winter. We've got a 5gal bucket, with a cover, with holes drilled in it that we keep submerged on a chain. The smelt last about 3 weeks, the shiners have been in there for about 5 weeks. No feed just cold water. Not sure about the summer months, but we have done something similar for the Winni Derby in years past. Usually just hang it over the side of the boat at night, shinners do well then but not the smelt. We keep the smelt in a large cooler with and areator and ice.

Capt. Black

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2010, 05:58 PM »
just put your baitbucket in the brook secure the lid. as long as the water flows thru, your baitfish will be fine for several days

Offline fishingwithkids

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • pop your magic twanger froggy........
« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2010, 06:28 PM »
thanks everyone. we have a general idea on what to do. now the building process. will keep you posted on how goes.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.