New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Bait Shops Near Lake Placid / Saranac Lake  (Read 1110 times)

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Bait Shops Near Lake Placid / Saranac Lake
« on: Feb 07, 2019, 09:52 PM »
I'll be spending President's Day Weekend up near Lake Placid. Looking to do as much local ice fishing as I can. Could someone point me to some bait shops in the region? Thanks!
Gino

Offline FishnChef

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Bait Shops Near Lake Placid / Saranac Lake
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2019, 07:13 AM »
Woods and Waters in Saranac Lake is your best local option with reasonable prices and healthy bait. Stay away from Blue Line Sports in Saranac Lake, they have the most ridiculous bait prices I have ever seen, like  $14 a dozen for medium shiners  ridiculous , and it dies very quickly because they keep it very warm. In summary bring it up if you can but if you don't hopefully woods and Waters has it because those are the only two remotely local options. Definitely call ahead

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2019, 10:12 AM »
Thanks FishnChef!  :thumbsup:

Offline pikie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2019, 08:51 AM »
Blue line's prices have moderated with the competition in town.  I just got a doz small suckers for $10 and nice size pike shinners for $10.50 a doz.  Not that bad.  Yes, it is warm in there, so be sure to bring an insulated cooler/bait bucket.  I often throw some slush in the bucket if I think the water is not cold enough when I get out there. 

Offline SuperX2Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2019, 05:25 AM »
I wouldn’t give blue line a dime, their prices were always outrageous when I was in college.

Is the bait shop in Bloomingdale still open, I was up to visit some friends last summer and I wanted to swing by and see if it was open still. Fran always took care us poor college kids and made sure you had an extra dozen or two.

Offline pikie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2019, 06:44 AM »
No, unfortunately River Road in Bloomingdale is not open anymore.  I called Frank to ask if he had bait back in Nov and he was in the hospital.  Hope he gets better. 

Offline FishnChef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2019, 10:56 PM »
Only complaint I ever had after stopping by Frank's shop is needing another bucket to split up the bait cuz id ask for 2 dozen mediums and walk out with atleast 4 dozen.
Good problem to have.

Offline Mtnd777

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2019, 11:37 PM »
Theres a couple of places in tupper lake if you're coming from that direction. Theres places in schroon or lake george if you're coming from that direction.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.