Author Topic: Battery question - okay on it's side?  (Read 1721 times)

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Battery question - okay on it's side?
« on: Aug 23, 2020, 06:18 AM »
I bought a kayak at the beginning of the covid thing when they talked about launches not opening and put a fishfinder on it. Hobie makes a battery holder that fits perfectly in their round hatch and it seemed perfect until it showed up and the battery only fits on it's side. It's a common 12V 7Ah battery I use for my Vex during the winter and a Garmin Striker during open water.

Anyone know if it's okay for that to be on it's side? 
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Battery question - okay on it's side?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 23, 2020, 06:37 AM »
I bought a kayak at the beginning of the covid thing when they talked about launches not opening and put a fishfinder on it. Hobie makes a battery holder that fits perfectly in their round hatch and it seemed perfect until it showed up and the battery only fits on it's side. It's a common 12V 7Ah battery I use for my Vex during the winter and a Garmin Striker during open water.

Anyone know if it's okay for that to be on it's side?

My Vexilar Ultra pack case has the battery stored in the case on its side . So you should be fine.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #2 on: Aug 23, 2020, 06:48 AM »
Sealed lead/acid (SLA) batteries are "spill-proof" and can be stored or used in any orientation without worry.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Aug 23, 2020, 09:31 AM »
Yup! Perfectly fine. Upgrade to a LiFePO4 battery as soon as you get the chance though! More power, less weight! Amped Outdoors and Dakota are the two brands I have.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Aug 23, 2020, 10:28 AM »
My only concern is that with my Amped Outdoors Lithium as it is placed on in side in the Ultra case and being on the ice for loooong periods of time is the cold having a diverse effect . I thought I read that the battery case in general is more suited to be up right as the bottom of the battery case is thicker or designed for such application on ice . Not sure where I saw or ...where I read it or who  rumored it  ..but it is on the back of my mind when on the  ice . But do love my lithiums.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Aug 24, 2020, 10:45 AM »
My only concern is that with my Amped Outdoors Lithium as it is placed on in side in the Ultra case and being on the ice for loooong periods of time is the cold having a diverse effect . I thought I read that the battery case in general is more suited to be up right as the bottom of the battery case is thicker or designed for such application on ice . Not sure where I saw or ...where I read it or who  rumored it  ..but it is on the back of my mind when on the  ice . But do love my lithiums.

LiFePO4 is better in the cold than SLA regardless. I've had mine out in negative 5 degree temps with no issues.

Offline DawntoDusk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Sep 12, 2020, 04:45 AM »
Sla batteries work just fine left on their side.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.