New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Silver lake fishing  (Read 115836 times)

Offline Outlaw1222

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Silver lake fishing
« Reply #120 on: Jan 08, 2017, 03:32 PM »
Fished off of the state launch from 8-130 today. Caught a 100+ perch 99% dinks and mids in 12-14 foe.No luck on the tip ups.
[imghttp://i44.tinypic.com/2e5k1s2.jpeg/img]

Offline Outlaw1222

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #121 on: Jan 08, 2017, 03:35 PM »
Has anyone seen perch with black spots all over them? I caught one today and was curious what it was you can actually feel these spots kind like sand almost. I'll post a pic when I figure that out

Offline Outlaw1222

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #122 on: Jan 08, 2017, 03:59 PM »
c

These are the black spots I was referring to.

Offline TNT5859

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #123 on: Jan 08, 2017, 04:00 PM »
I would assume some sort of parasite..

Offline dabills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #124 on: Jan 08, 2017, 04:47 PM »
Imagine how amazing the perch fishing would be on Silver if they had some decent size to them

Offline Edm87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #125 on: Jan 08, 2017, 04:51 PM »
that perch has grubs associated with snails normally happens with lakes that are super weedy. 

Offline chevy rotbox

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #126 on: Jan 08, 2017, 04:57 PM »
yep grubs
retired let the fishing begin

Offline warsawbassman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #127 on: Jan 09, 2017, 10:16 AM »
It's going to be another long slow ice season on the south end for Bluegills again this year guys. Weeds were poor heading into late fall/early winter, and water clarity was not the best. Coupled with the ultra low water levels this past open water season it pushed them out to deep water round about the middle of Sept. The gills will be out deep most of the winter feasting on bloodworms, and will stay there until spring. Some one might luck into them a day or two here and there on the south end on a couple select spots, but for the most part it's going to be tough for the average Joe. I am not even getting the stuff out of the barn this year, unless a few trusted buddies tell me otherwise.

Offline mikey ice fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #128 on: Jan 09, 2017, 10:52 AM »
Its not grubs it parasites. Theres a golf course that borders the lake that uses mass amounts of fertilizers
. CHEMICALS= PARASITES not grubs

Offline Fishin' Blues

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #129 on: Jan 09, 2017, 12:12 PM »
The fish has "black spot" disease, also commonly called black grub. They are digenetic trematode parasites that burrow into the skin and flesh of fish. Needs three separate hosts to complete life cycle; fish, fish eating birds and snails. Can be found anywhere where all three hosts occur.
Many fish bites if ya' got good bait, heres a little tip that I would like to relate.........

Offline TyroneJenkins

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #130 on: Jan 09, 2017, 12:17 PM »
c

These are the black spots I was referring to.

What is that black dots?

Offline JPG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #131 on: Jan 09, 2017, 12:28 PM »
Research ny dec Web page.  There's a write up on diseases and parasites with fish.  They give you a list of what can be eaten and what you can't.  They also have "Unknown" sections. I caught a nice pike there about 2 years ago.  After filleting him all the grubs/worms started popping out of the fillet.  I didn't want to waste the fish so I did my research, pulled off as much as I could and then soaked it in milk and salt (if I remember correctly).  Anyway, after checking and recheck ingredients and being fairly positive I had removed them all.....I ate it.    I will not be doing that again no matter what the Dec says.  I just didn't want to waste it. 
"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway."

Offline ontheelevator23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #132 on: Jan 09, 2017, 12:29 PM »
If you filled the fish that have the black dots you will find the tiny grub in the meat. Just take the end of a filled knife and cut them out.
1st place Avon Anglers Silver Lake 2012
3rd place NEIT Silver lake 2012
3rd place NEIT Championship
1st place NEIFC Silver Lake 2013
2nd place NEIFC Kahle Lake 2013

Offline JPG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #133 on: Jan 09, 2017, 12:33 PM »
Yes. At the time, after seeing the grubs I looked at the skin and only found a couple dots.  Very unnoticeable.   But still a ton of grubs.  He wasn't as bad as that perch on the outside.

Offline mikey ice fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #134 on: Jan 09, 2017, 01:17 PM »
If you filled the fish that have the black dots you will find the tiny grub in the meat. Just take the end of a filled knife and cut them out.
Yeah ok. The same guy will tell you to make snow cones out of the blue green algie to and eat the parasite worm while taking tequilla shots. Dont take chances with your health.

Offline Riddlefiddle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #135 on: Jan 09, 2017, 06:16 PM »
I'm going pike fishing tomorrow on the north end. It's sad to see what the lake has become. I can remember how good the ice fishing was for gills and perch. Its been bad going on six or seven years now. I have been told that the DEC stocked walleye last fall with more to come this fall. If true the eyes should clean up a lot of the dinky perch. Give them room to grow.
Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God.

Offline LP Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #136 on: Jan 09, 2017, 07:19 PM »
That fish has little color and looks unhealthy. Is the water really stained there. Most perch I get are from lake Ontario and are very colorful.

Offline Riddlefiddle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #137 on: Jan 11, 2017, 08:00 AM »
The Amish are on silver raping it of its pike again. Bought all shiners up from Ackermans.
Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God.

Offline catchin perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #138 on: Jan 11, 2017, 11:24 AM »
I fished silver for about 20 some years and did very well until ice shanty came along. It was a good idea until 100's of people found out that silver had jumbo perch. Since the huge rush of people the lake was raped of its jumbo perch. I do not think ice shanty is bad but once the word gets out about a small lake fishing well it's all over. Loon,Cuba,and silver fell to ice shanty. Just my opinion. Give it some time as it takes about 10 to 12 years for perch to get to jumbo size.

FrankM

« Reply #139 on: Jan 11, 2017, 12:09 PM »
I fished Silver Lake 40 years ago and it was full of dink perch long before ice shanty came along.  At that time you could catch buckets of Jumbo perch in Conesus but then that population crashed and that was long before ice shanty.  The Conesus perch were wiped out by a combination of overfishing and the introduction of alewives which totally disrupted the ecology of the lake.  The real problem is Cuba, Silver and Loon are typically the first lakes to freeze and are getting hammered during these warm winters when nothing else freezes. Also modern technology like flashers, cameras, hi tech tackle etc make it a lot easier to catch a lot more fish so that also impacts small lakes more than before.

Offline zadvorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gobi Dick sank my boat!
« Reply #140 on: Jan 11, 2017, 03:00 PM »
I'd be willing to bet that all of the above reasons contribute to the decline.  I would also look at the age of the lake; it's sediment level; recent algae bloom formation; as well as any amount of run off from the surrounding agricultural fields.  The lake is filling in with sediment and weed growth explodes within its depth range.  It dies and rots which in turn uses oxygen. To compound this, the lake has very little in-flow.  12-15 feet down is the thermocline during the summer and below that there is no oxygen.  It is a complete dead zone below that. This leaves little room for the fish to roam and induces stress on them thus inhibiting their growth cycle during the summer.   Winter comes and the water flips.  The lake's bottom is temporarily oxygenated, that's where the perch eat the blood worms, but this is burned up by the non-decomposed sediment and we are back to square one.  A good solution would be VERY VERY large bubblers all over the lake during the spring,summer and fall.  Dredging is going to remove the un-decomposed material but not the root cause, but it will help.  The lake needs an input of oxygen.  Good luck Silver Lake Assn.  Open your wallet and say AHH... I don't own a cottage there but if they ever do something about it and need a hand I'd be more than willing to help.  I can run a shovel or drive a wheel barrow.  It's a really nice lake to ice fish and I'd hate to see it decline further.
If life were easy everybody would have one.

Offline coldnbroke

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #141 on: Jan 11, 2017, 05:17 PM »
I'd be willing to bet that all of the above reasons contribute to the decline.  I would also look at the age of the lake; it's sediment level; recent algae bloom formation; as well as any amount of run off from the surrounding agricultural fields.  The lake is filling in with sediment and weed growth explodes within its depth range.  It dies and rots which in turn uses oxygen. To compound this, the lake has very little in-flow.  12-15 feet down is the thermocline during the summer and below that there is no oxygen.  It is a complete dead zone below that. This leaves little room for the fish to roam and induces stress on them thus inhibiting their growth cycle during the summer.   Winter comes and the water flips.  The lake's bottom is temporarily oxygenated, that's where the perch eat the blood worms, but this is burned up by the non-decomposed sediment and we are back to square one.  A good solution would be VERY VERY large bubblers all over the lake during the spring,summer and fall.  Dredging is going to remove the un-decomposed material but not the root cause, but it will help.  The lake needs an input of oxygen.  Good luck Silver Lake Assn.  Open your wallet and say AHH... I don't own a cottage there but if they ever do something about it and need a hand I'd be more than willing to help.  I can run a shovel or drive a wheel barrow.  It's a really nice lake to ice fish and I'd hate to see it decline further.
amen
"visitors and fish smell after three days"

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #142 on: Jan 12, 2017, 07:52 PM »
This is what I know.  The perch in Silver lake feed on blood worms and other small aquatic creators which in turn feed on the zoo plankton in this lake.  I was told by a worker from the Town of Perry when they pull the screens at the water intake for  cleaning  they are infested with zebra mussels.  The main diet of the zebra mussel is zoo plankton.  Years back it was not unusual  to see hundreds of these tiny zoo plankton creators swimming in your hole when ice fishing, today you see hardly any.  Without zoo plankton, which is being devastate by the zebra mussels, you don't have enough feed for the perch bait in this lake.  If you don't have a sufficient balance of bait to perch you won't have large fish.  You can thank the zebra mussels for helping to contributing to the decline of the large size perch in this lake.  The DEC agrees the zebra mussels are not helping.

Offline JPG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #143 on: Jan 12, 2017, 08:22 PM »
What can be done about it?

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #144 on: Jan 12, 2017, 08:42 PM »
What can be done about it?
This is not the only lake zebra mussels have interfere with.   Once in a lake they are there to stay.  Fishermen years back should have taken the warning more seriously when the DEC said boats should  be washed in between docking from one lake to the other and billage water should not be dumped into other waters.  DEC has a list of NY lakes with zebra mussels and you would be surprised how many.   I talked to the DEC bioglist for over an hour last summer about this small perch issue.

Keep on hauling
Perch Chacer

Offline bstawickiata

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #145 on: Jan 12, 2017, 09:02 PM »
Does anyone know if the ice survived the rain and warm weather?

Offline buckskinner14530

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #146 on: Jan 17, 2017, 06:08 PM »
there dropping the lake level again so watch the shore ice. wish they would leave it alone. it already lower than normal.

Offline TNT5859

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #147 on: Jan 17, 2017, 06:32 PM »
How do they do that? It seems lower then it usually is?

Offline youngblood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #148 on: Jan 17, 2017, 06:41 PM »
There is a dam on the outlet on Federal St. in Perry. They can raise and lower the gates to adjust the lake level.Looks pretty much like the dam next to Teds in Lakeville.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #149 on: Jan 19, 2017, 04:34 PM »
There is a dam on the outlet on Federal St. in Perry. They can raise and lower the gates to adjust the lake level.Looks pretty much like the dam next to Teds in Lakeville.
Ya know I have fished Silver since the early 60's and never knew there was a dam on the outlet in Perry.   See, you're never too old to learn things, so always listen and learn before you speak. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.