Author Topic: Leaders For Pike?  (Read 2176 times)

Offline TipupMaster

• IceShanty Rookie
Leaders For Pike?
« on: Feb 05, 2009, 04:23 PM »
For jigging for pike do you guys use leaders or no leaders? im gonna be using 10lb test and mostly spoons, jiggin raps and pimples. Thanks Also black or silver leaders?

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
Re: Leaders For Pike?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2009, 04:44 PM »
Personally I use 18" 27lb. back leaders.

Offline Bigbait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2009, 09:26 PM »
I ve been fishing for pike for last Twenty years from MA,NH,and now( CT )where some of the best pike fishing in New England is maybe not the biggest  because no one caught that 30lb fish yet but, 
lot mid twenties. My personnel best is 22lbs 44".  The best leader I ve found is TYE GEAR I use 50lb and never lost fish yet. ( Because of the leader) I ve Mist plenty of fish.

This years been slow but last year I caught   2 19lb fish   3 18 lb  2 17lb  5 15lb and  a butt  ton
 between  8lb and 14lbs

Offline fshnbudy01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2009, 11:16 AM »
For jigging for pike do you guys use leaders or no leaders? im gonna be using 10lb test and mostly spoons, jiggin raps and pimples. Thanks Also black or silver leaders?

Im From WI, and have probably caught thousands of pike.  I have rarely seen a pike refuse a bait because it had a leader.  Pike are normally pretty aggressive and if they are not, I generally dont think its the leader that's holding them back from biting. (Im sure plenty of people will choose to disagree with that, and thats fine.)  If I were fishing for Bass or walleye or even panfish, i would be much more leary of using anything that affects my presentation, but with pike I would definatly NOT skip using a heavy duty leader. 

The benefits of catching one more pike that MAY not have struck without a leader are just not worth the costs of losing a lot of pike because you were using 10Lb mono.
"Quit lookin at my Marmooska."

Offline Rebelfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hook 'em and Cook 'em...TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2009, 08:22 PM »
I use 12# berkeley big game tied direct. you will get cut offs, but the lighter line will afford you MORE strikes. just be sure you play the fish and your drags are set LOOSE!! :icefish:

Ice Fisherman Walk on Water!

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2009, 04:40 AM »
we fish for muskie in ultra clear water up here. they are definitly line shy. i use a 15lb. power pro tipped w/ a 15lb. 18in. uncoated steel leader. if you have a good reel w/ a well adjusted drag you shouldnt have any problems. dont be afraid to change your leader if a fish kinks the crap out of it. good luck!

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2009, 04:57 AM »
I use cortland toothy critter leader,Its strong and easy to tie,it comes in 12' packs and it is steel.

Offline flagguy83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "LETS GO ICE FISHING"
« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2009, 11:23 PM »
No leader used here. never had a problem either.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.