Author Topic: Jiffy or Strikemaster  (Read 1044 times)

Offline vexvision

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Crazy
Jiffy or Strikemaster
« on: Nov 17, 2011, 02:07 PM »
I need a new auger and have questions about both.

I read reviews on IceShanty and Cabelas for strikemaster, on cabelas alot of people are complaining about all the plastic and things breaking. Two people were complaining about it not starting.

I currently use a jiffy but its over 15 years old and the last two seasons it has been failing.

The Nils is a little out of budget, 599 is pricey but I here they are worth every penny.

Please help, I would prefer  the lightest and fastest drilling auger available.
I have laid aside business, and gon' a fishin!

Offline oyler

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Jiffy or Strikemaster
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2011, 02:31 PM »
If your looking for light and fast between StrikeMaster and Jiffy, StrikeMaster wins every time.

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2011, 02:47 PM »
I have always been a jiffy guy...however with both if them having lots plastic components I decided to try a strikemaster.  I ended up going with a 10" pro.  It actually feels like it might weigh less than old 2hpjiffy legend lightning with 8" bit.  I just looked and it even weighs less than the jiffy 2500 series.  From what I researched as long as you keep the blades sharp the SM will out drill the bigger jiffy's.
]

Offline cnyiceboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Die hard
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2011, 02:52 PM »

I read reviews on IceShanty and Cabelas for strikemaster, on cabelas alot of people are complaining about all the plastic and things breaking. Two people were complaining about it not starting.

I currently use a jiffy but its over 15 years old and the last two seasons it has been failing.

The Nils is a little out of budget, 599 is pricey but I here they are worth every penny.

It's like the chevy and ford debate, Your going to get your pros and cons with each of them and people who love one and dislike the other. I personal have a jiffy that's 5 years old never had an issue with it. Starts everything I go to use it and cuts holes like its brand new. Last year I bought an electric Strikemaster and I love that just as much as the Jiffy. What I say you do is get the one you can get the best price on for what you'll be using it for.

A good day fishing inst complete unless it's spent with family or friends.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2011, 03:37 PM »
Let me just settle this..

Buy an Eskimo Z71
<===Lefty===

Offline vexvision

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Crazy
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2011, 03:47 PM »
I move alot and plan to drill 20 or more holes each outing, thats if Im by myself........if I have a buddy with me you can Im gonna drill atleast 40. Every manufacturer tell ya why they are the best, just searching for hands on experience with what the best auger would be for me.

Not sure if I need the chipper blade or not either, thats whats on my jiffy I have now. Will the other blade work well for redrilling holes in my permy?

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2011, 04:05 PM »

My cousin bought a strikemaster last year, one of those Solo engine ones, made about a half dozen trips to the ice and promptly had the gearcase sound like broken glass in a tumbling 55 gallon metal drum...needless to say it didn't drill holes that day.

Find a used Jiffy Model 30, deal with the weight and you can't go wrong...
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2011, 04:08 PM »
I own a Nils but made this video last season. We took a couple of augers out of the shop and did a side by side with the 4 stroke models of Jiffy and Strikemaster. As far as performance, they were pretty close but we only had 13" of ice to play with... Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z9-JhO8aQY

Offline Junior58

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2011, 04:50 PM »
Finding the differences between weight and speed between new gas augers can make your head spin just as fast. Look, a new gas auger is going to cut through ice pretty quick .....just like any other new gas auger from any other major manufacturer. It can be Jiffy, Strikemaster, Eskimo, Nils, etc. Weigh will be a pound here or there and a hole drilled will be a couple seconds difference here and there. Price and engine size may play a role in one's decision. The more money you spend, the most likely it'll be that the engine will be a bit bigger (cc) and a tad faster.  All of the engines and cases (maybe not nils) are made in China now from all of em' so reliability is luck of the draw between them and I'll say that that todays augers won't last nearly as long as those of yesteryear with the plastic and the Chinese having their hands on them. Only when you start examining the benefits of a propane or electric auger over gas will you find larger differences. I sold my Strikemaster gas for a new Strikemaster Electric. I have more confidence in my electric over any gas auger made since it has a tenth of trouble areas that are associated with gas augers. I know it will start 99.9% of the time with a push of a button.
2010 G3 Angler V175 FS   Yamaha 150TXR

Offline NNYIceangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 17, 2011, 05:51 PM »
I have two of the old 3hp Jiffy Rib Beaters, and they are excellent augers.  They have been used and abused for many years even before I got them.  The only problem is they get tempermental in the cold weather and they are so beat up that many parts of the cowling and where the gas tank hooks on are missing or broken.  That being said, two years ago I pulled the trigger on a new auger. 

I went with the strikemaster because of the weight and price, plus I used a buddy's and it cut really fast.  I have had carbeuration problems due to ethanol, but began cleaning the carb at the beginnning of the season and once mid season and that has helped alot.  Also good oil and stabil are a must. 

This auger has never failed me on the ice, drills many holes each time out.  Lightweight, fast cutting, all around excellent auger.  Take care of it and it will take care of you.  Only regret is I wish I would have waited till the next year to buy one to get the Solo motor.  A coworker has that one and it is an amazing motor, starts first pull every time, even at twenty below.

Offline Bennettc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 17, 2011, 06:31 PM »
I went with Strikemaster.  Got the Lazer Pro at a good price online from Glens.

I am not two concerned with the plastic.  It is lightweight and if it does break it is cheap to replace.

Offline vexvision

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Crazy
« Reply #11 on: Nov 17, 2011, 09:15 PM »
I own a Nils but made this video last season. We took a couple of augers out of the shop and did a side by side with the 4 stroke models of Jiffy and Strikemaster. As far as performance, they were pretty close but we only had 13" of ice to play with... Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z9-JhO8aQY

Blaine, very cool video!! Im impressed with how the Jiffy Propane cuts, I would never have imagined it cutting that well!! Around here everyone has a hundred year old auger or a new Jiffy and I never get to see any others in action. This video helped alot. Thanks

Bennett............... good point.

Im thinkin strikelite

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.