New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Cheapers Creepers  (Read 3325 times)

Offline IceFever74

• Team IceShanty Regular
Cheapers Creepers
« on: Feb 10, 2019, 06:11 PM »
What type of cleats and creepers do you prefer? I’ve been struggling along with the cheap $10-20 kinds for years..frabill, yaktrax, Cabela’s, generics. Even the extra large sizes never seem fit well on my rubber winter boots. And when they do fit they pop off while walking. I end up putting a bungee over top of my boot to support them. Do I have to spend $70 for those katoolas or something?! Just wondering what others have had success with.

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Cheapers Creepers
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2019, 06:14 PM »
I use the 10$ cheapies and no problems but i wear a size 13 boot so they are pretty stretched out... Wife uses yak trax and likes em... I seen a sweet pair for like 150 that id love
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline GatorNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2019, 06:16 PM »
Katoola microspikes, IceTrekkers Diamond, Stabilicers Maxx. In order of preference. The IceTrekkers comes in XL and XXL that will go over any boot, including Mickey Mouse boots. I use an XXL on my Calbelas Trans-Alaskan.

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline fishslayer730

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2019, 06:19 PM »
I've run the cheap one for years and now that I have used kahtoola cleats for a couple yrs ILL NEVER USE ANYTHING ELSE!!!!!

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2019, 06:19 PM »
I used the cheap ht ones for years. They wore out this season so I wound up grabbing a set of yak trak pros and I really like them. 40$. Worth it
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline Basswacker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2019, 06:24 PM »
I have StabilIcers Maxx. Spent just under $55 from Amazon. Love them so far. Easy walking and running to the flag.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2019, 06:27 PM »
Just stay away from the cheaper ones with no heel spikes

Offline Muggsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2019, 06:28 PM »
Stabilicer Maxx was my  choice and I feel very secure on the glare ice with them. Bought them based on previous discussions here on IS and felt that it was good advice.
Maybe someday I'll think of something clever to write here...but I doubt it.

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2019, 06:29 PM »
I have katoolas. Best purchase I've ever made along with my Spud, fish finder, and Nils auger for an electric drill. Lol.

I found a few cheaper creepers that are very similar to the micro spikes. Eagle claw makes one version. There is another version I got from Dick's for my friend. Same style. He loves them. We Sprint after tipups in those babies. For the next few days our legs were sore from all the running

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2019, 06:30 PM »
i had stabilicers i blew the screws out of them. just got katoola micro spikes and in less than a week the s hook things on the bottom broke. cant win. the cheap ones are even worse.

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2019, 06:33 PM »
Just looked it up. Hillsound makes one for $45 at Dick's

Offline Big Ice Hole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2019, 06:36 PM »
Sheet metal screws screwed into your lugs. Been using them for years.
Born to fish, Forced to work.

Offline SeanP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Formally known as SPN1
« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2019, 06:39 PM »
Korkers over rubber boots

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 10, 2019, 06:51 PM »
Sheet metal screws screwed into your lugs. Been using them for years.
Just like a dirt bike tire 3 or 4 per knobby. 🤣 lmao
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 10, 2019, 06:52 PM »
https://www.backcountry.com/black-diamond-sabretooth-pro-crampon?CMP_SKU=BLD00EU&MER=0406&skid=BLD00EU-POL-ONESIZ&mr:trackingCode=92DE14D6-7546-E511-80F1-005056944E17&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=m&mr:adType=plaonline&CMP_ID=PLA_GMm001&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PLA&k_clickid=_k_Cj0KCQiAtP_iBRDGARIsAEWJA8hnpn98E9KV_ANTWnLhr9wnDeIETidufRHCX-YtmRnSFf2H63d-abQaAnjWEALw_wcB_k_&rmatt=tsid:1042790|cid:292652677|agid:20469783517|tid:pla-383452052540|crid:92885922157|nw:g|rnd:11555914789423635012|dvc:m|adp:1o4|mt:|loc:9017016&gclid=Cj0KCQiAtP_iBRDGARIsAEWJA8hnpn98E9KV_ANTWnLhr9wnDeIETidufRHCX-YtmRnSFf2H63d-abQaAnjWEALw_wcB

Those are badass. I use a cheaper set of crampons and love them. It started out of necessity when my cheapies broke and the bait store didn’t have any so i wore my hiking crampons. Worked like a charm and I’ve used them ever since
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 10, 2019, 06:54 PM »
Those are badass. I use a cheaper set of crampons and love them. It started out of necessity when my cheapies broke and the bait store didn’t have any so i wore my hiking crampons. Worked like a charm and I’ve used them ever since

I think I was just looking at them cheaper ones. Like 60-70$
Disclaimer:
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 10, 2019, 07:04 PM »
I use the cheapest most sensible I can find.
Must have18 spikes .
If I can get a pair for less than $20.00 to the door and last 2 plus years,  I feel I'm way ahead.
These are going on season 3. The only issue is routine maintenance to make sure the hooks are still closed on the chains.

Offline tblaster123

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 10, 2019, 07:10 PM »
Been using the yak trak pro for many years.. 25 bucks and I have size XL on my size 12 boots never had an issue.. theres a velcro strap that goes across the top of the boot.. cant imagine anyone having problems with them slipping off unless you have sasquatch feet like size 14+

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 10, 2019, 07:11 PM »
Hillsound trail cramptons here

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 10, 2019, 07:15 PM »
When u find ice cleats for my 15 boot let me know  ;D

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 10, 2019, 07:23 PM »
Well that might mean you have to improvise using studs in dedicated boots.
My 2 boys both have size 13 feet and the XL version I posted fits their muck boots

Offline tdannhauser30

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 10, 2019, 07:44 PM »
Hot tunas are by far the best choice. Go on amazon and get any of the pairs that are thick rubber with chains and big metal teeth. I have owned all types including the expensive Khatoolas and these are just as good, especially since you can get them for like 20 bucks on amazon. Also nice to get them in orange like tuna shows so god forbid they ever fall off ( They never will) you would very easily be able to find it. I do lots of winter hiking in the Adirondacks and the cheap amazon options are great. Also dont worry or feel bad about walking on pavement and rocks with them, that steel is tough and mine have never bent. I have mine fit on my size 12 sorels and wading boots.

Offline liquidonyx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 10, 2019, 08:18 PM »

Offline gonephishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 11, 2019, 08:10 AM »
Unigear full boot crampons from Amazon. Think I paid $35.

Offline coho

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 11, 2019, 08:17 AM »
Stabilicers sold on amazon for $34.99. Just got them and wore them all day yesterday on glare ice, you can not slip. Mine are on size 14 sorel yukons and they fit perfic. These are made in Maine and they are amazing.
" When the fish are really hitting it's all skill, when they're not it's just bad luck. "

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Feb 11, 2019, 08:20 AM »
Korkers over rubber boots

I been wearing the  same  pair  of korkers  trout steelhead  bass and ice fishing for  at least 20 to 25 years ...one of my best investments!

if  your smart   buy 2 or  3 pairs of  cheap ones   and  carry in your stuff....  you will be loaning a set to a friend or selling a set to someone that doesn't  have any

Offline tonebea

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 11, 2019, 08:29 AM »
Katoolas. Been using them for about 8 years. First creepers I've used that worked great every time, fit over the snowmobile boots and never came off.

Offline FrozenJig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 11, 2019, 08:40 AM »
Kahtoola's or yaktrax pro's. 

Both are great and you pay for what you get-  excellent quality that provides safety from you falling on your @##.  It's worth paying an extra $20 bucks or so if you ask me
Look for the beer flag, that's where i'm at

Offline kinkywizard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 11, 2019, 08:52 AM »

I have been using these for the season and have no complaints so far. I had to walk on concrete a few times and the metal held up and did not bend.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.