Author Topic: Ice Shanty Plans  (Read 332863 times)

Offline madporider

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice Shanty Plans
« Reply #30 on: Nov 09, 2005, 08:50 AM »
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=11/31208234915.jpg&s=x11here is a picture of the shack i am building for the upcoming year 8x12 with 3/4 in treated floor 2x4 studs going to put a steel roof and 1in styrofoam insulation http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=11/31208260551.jpg&s=x11
give a man a fish and feed him for a day teach a man to fish and his wife will hate you for the rest of her life

Offline rendo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Michigan
« Reply #31 on: Nov 09, 2005, 09:32 AM »

Nice looking shanty. How do you lower it to the ice?
willing to learn new tactics

Offline madporider

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Nov 09, 2005, 11:50 AM »
dont we fish with tip ups almost exclusively but we will put in a couple rattle wheels i will use 10in pvc and stick that through the floor and fish through that
give a man a fish and feed him for a day teach a man to fish and his wife will hate you for the rest of her life

Offline madporider

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 06, 2005, 04:18 PM »
hey mac i have new pics on "my shack is 80% complete

Offline Big D

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Dec 17, 2005, 06:18 AM »
Here are pics to one I "built" last winter

http://community.webshots.com/album/296260691eDumEM

I took a 1972 Apache popup camper, gutted it (kept the bench seats/with pads and cabinets for storage) It will fish 3 easily, and 4 if you know them pretty well.

Not permanent, not dragable, but definitely portable.  Will pull with a snowmobile or 4 wheeler

Unfortunately, I am a big guy (thus the name) and the layout isn't exactly what I want, so I am going to sell it, get another camper, and modify it perfectly for myself (and son and daughter)
"If it ain't freezin', it ain't fishin' "

Offline NorthwoodsIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 17, 2005, 09:24 PM »
Big D nice looking shanty.  Have a fun time building the next one.  Things are always nicer when they are customized.  Are you still selling the old one?
Welcome to the Northwoods! Grab a Leinenkugel's!

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Life's Tougher and Funner in Alaska;
« Reply #36 on: Dec 30, 2005, 05:58 PM »
Here is one I found out of ND.

You have to pay but its dirt cheap and costs less than $100.00 to build depending on where you live and current material prices.
I have seen some people use black visqueen for heat and darkness inside to see down the hole.

http://www.dirtcheapdesign.com/iceshanty/

Offline Yellow Belly

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Don't horse 'em
« Reply #37 on: Jan 15, 2006, 01:16 PM »
This is the design I based mine on.

http://www.blfga.org/blfga/shanty/shanti.html

I used the FishOntario style ends though (arched top instead of gabled). It weighs approx. 75 lbs and folds up really compact.

A little hard for one guy to set up though compared to the FishOntario style.

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Sep 19, 2006, 11:56 PM »
As promised , many moons ago :-[ , here is a picture of my old portable

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Sep 20, 2006, 10:27 PM »
I've retired it...but still have it in the woodshed . I'll snap a few interior pictures tomorrow .

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Sep 22, 2006, 12:32 AM »
I'll try again  :-[
I have one spreader bar on top to hold the front and back walls apart and tighten up the tarp .
Notice the 10 inch (pony)walls all around the plywood floor ...when the end walls are folded in there is quite a bit of space underneath to store all(most) of your gear.
There are only two jigging holes in the shack, on opposite diagonal corners...you can see one near the door .
With the little wood stove in there it was quite comfy....not very roomy, especially if one has company, but nice .
It was heavy but with the help of a block and tackle could easily load it myself

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Sep 22, 2006, 01:13 AM »
I'll try again
I hope this helps .

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Oct 19, 2006, 06:53 PM »
what is the thinnest ice some one put there shanty on :unsure:

I would guess it would depend on the weight of the shanty, the weight of the gear, and the weight of the people who would be using it.....
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

hali-man

« Reply #43 on: Oct 19, 2006, 07:32 PM »
what is the thinnest ice some one put there shanty on

2 1/2 linches.

Offline Doe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Oct 19, 2006, 08:36 PM »
I'm going to start a thread when I start to build my new shack.  Hopefully, I will have pictures of the plan that I made on Excel and step by step pictures of the building process.  I don't think people should have to pay for plans and information like this. 

Offline pro50guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Nov 05, 2006, 08:27 PM »
i was thinking of putting some kind of floatation in under or around my shanty. anybody here of this, or know if there is a tread on it?
"you can pick your nose and your friends can pick there nose, but you cant pick your friends nose"-john fickel     "equal opportunity for everyone special treatment for no one"-jesse james

Offline Holewatcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • in a trance watching the flag
« Reply #46 on: Nov 07, 2006, 08:06 AM »
Hav you got the plans for the stove?
I need to go to the bathroom, but it might flip up if I go.

Offline Blister

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Nov 13, 2006, 07:46 PM »
I'm going to start a thread when I start to build my new shack.  Hopefully, I will have pictures of the plan that I made on Excel and step by step pictures of the building process.  I don't think people should have to pay for plans and information like this. 

:clap: Good idea!!! I have done extensive searching on the web for shack plans and after hours of searching, have always come up with the same 2 or 3 sets that are offered up for free. Although they were all good plans, it would be nice to be able to have a little more than 2 or 3 good ideas to chose from.  :bow: Can't wait to see the end result. Good luck!!!
I spent my kids college tuition on a fish house...=)

Offline Doe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Nov 13, 2006, 08:40 PM »
I finished my shack a couple of weeks ago.  I modified a couple of things on my plans, so I will have to edit them a bit.  I should have pics and plans done by the end of this week.  I'm trying to balance studying for the GRE, work, and my obsession for ice fishing. 

Offline Doe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Nov 13, 2006, 10:28 PM »
2) plan your fishing trips around mid-terms and finals

Thats funny you mentioned this because I went to Little Bay De Noc the day after finals last year.  Seriously, thanks for the advice.  Only two more years and I can get a job of my dreams. 

Offline kdu12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Dec 27, 2006, 12:13 AM »
Thats funny you mentioned this because I went to Little Bay De Noc the day after finals last year.  Seriously, thanks for the advice.  Only two more years and I can get a job of my dreams. 

What job out there pays you to ice fish that you need to go to graduate school for?
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

Offline yonderfishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Jan 03, 2007, 01:27 PM »
Hey yall,..Im new to this site and new to ohio where hopefully I will get a chance to fish on the ice if we ever get any. Ive looked through a few plans on here to make an ice shanty/shelter but most seem really heavy and if I get a chance to fish on the ice...its in ohio so its not really good ice. I had an idea to make one and thought I'd see what those of you with experience think of it. I thought of taking a piece of plywood maybe 4' by 5' and attaching bent metal ( small guage ) electric conduit in the shape of an arch. One on each side and fastened at each corner with a bolt somehow so they fold up and down flat when not in use. When folded upward the 2 arches can be connected making a pointy dome shap at the top. I have a huge roll of some type of material that is an underlayment for some type of flooring wich I can attach to the frame somehow. Im thinking this would be light and easily transportable on a regular sled. Im trying to use materials I already have. Any thoughts anybody?  Thanks

Offline gldnrcher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Feb 09, 2007, 11:13 AM »
Hey yall,..Im new to this site and new to ohio where hopefully I will get a chance to fish on the ice if we ever get any. Ive looked through a few plans on here to make an ice shanty/shelter but most seem really heavy and if I get a chance to fish on the ice...its in ohio so its not really good ice. I had an idea to make one and thought I'd see what those of you with experience think of it. I thought of taking a piece of plywood maybe 4' by 5' and attaching bent metal ( small guage ) electric conduit in the shape of an arch. One on each side and fastened at each corner with a bolt somehow so they fold up and down flat when not in use. When folded upward the 2 arches can be connected making a pointy dome shap at the top. I have a huge roll of some type of material that is an underlayment for some type of flooring wich I can attach to the frame somehow. Im thinking this would be light and easily transportable on a regular sled. Im trying to use materials I already have. Any thoughts anybody?  Thanks
Hey good luck gettin some ice, you can buy a popup blind at a sporting goods store for about 30-40 bucks they setup fast and will block the wind all you would have to make is a floor or buy a popup style like a trap. later.

Offline walleye hunters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Aug 09, 2007, 11:53 AM »
nice rig

BEEN WISHIN TO DO SOME HARD WATER FISHIN

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Life's Tougher and Funner in Alaska;
« Reply #54 on: Oct 29, 2007, 12:48 AM »
I am currently making a house from plans I got from Gordons Landscaping, except I am not making the trailer this year but the shack with skids I created. Here is a link to his site with prices Gordons To see pics from my work in progress go here Ice shanty Construction

Offline DANMAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Dec 26, 2007, 07:41 PM »
I built my own fishtrap 10 years ago ,  copied the commercial version, made a wood sled with tapered front end , copper tubing for the frame, and some canvas from an old tent.

No plans but i can email some pics if anyone interested

Offline marley102

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Jan 02, 2008, 10:12 PM »
I would like to see some pics of [email protected]

Thanks

Offline DANMAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Jan 05, 2008, 05:28 PM »

Offline Madbomber