Author Topic: Bottom of a shack??? what to use???  (Read 1918 times)

Offline PikeBoy17

• IceShanty Rookie
Bottom of a shack??? what to use???
« on: Dec 05, 2007, 10:45 PM »
So I have everything figured out on my ice shack except for the floor. I don't want to use OSB cause it doesn't last and I don't want non treated plywood cause it will warp and rot as well. I thought I had to use 5/8in treated plywood but I herd that it will bend and warp in a couple of years so i don't know anymore??? So if anyone has any ideas, it would be nice to here them

!thanks!
Bob Lindeman

Offline poot_818

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Bottom of a shack??? what to use???
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2007, 10:49 PM »
u can use n e kind of plywood just paint it with a few coats......ull be good to go....

Offline Whitefish Slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2007, 06:43 PM »
I have always used plywood with no troubles... Maybe boarding it in or something on that line might help you out!

Offline TomToolery

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2007, 07:25 PM »
OSB works just fine   as well as plywood  expect a shack to last as long as you protect the outside and look after the inside   TT

Offline Marlin07

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • They were here yesterday...
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2007, 08:23 PM »
my shack has plain old untreated ply wood and has going strong for 5 yrs, rot's not a problem as it's alway's so cold up here!

Offline walleye hunters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2007, 10:27 PM »
my shacks 18yrs old and the floor is still good just make sure you give it a solid coat of paint every couple yrs

BEEN WISHIN TO DO SOME HARD WATER FISHIN

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Life's Tougher and Funner in Alaska;
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2007, 01:31 AM »
Hey Welcome to IS, I'm sure you'll get alot of good answers and how to's from your post.

I used 5/8 plywood on the floor of mine but I believe it's exterior grade. I got off a job site laying in the scrap pile ;D lucky for me. You would never believe how much wast there is on a big multi unit housing job :%$#!: no wonder house prices are so expensive.

I put 2"s of blue foam on the bottom of the plywood and joined them together with some low expansion foam to form a tight seal. I also plan on water sealing the top of the floor as well as painting it with a good exterior paint with sand mixed in to make it non-skid.

your concern with the warping is caused when warm air forms condensation on the wood surface where it meets the colder air and is usually what makes the wood warp and with a shack floor, that will probably not happen any time soon ???

Good luck

FF

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2007, 06:59 AM »
I bought this insulated tent floor  8x20' off ebay for about 27 plus shipping  (best way to say it around wife)    gonna prob cut it in half  for my Otter village thats 6x12' enough to roll it up the sides and a foot on each end for the holes

I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2007, 07:19 AM »
I don't want non treated plywood cause it will warp and rot as well.

Two words:
Impact driver
sucks the warp out of everything

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.