Author Topic: Jigging Technique  (Read 1548 times)

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Jigging Technique
« on: Sep 30, 2011, 10:08 AM »
Well, gonna try my hand at jigging. Have always ran tip ups or speared them which brings me to my question. While in the shack, sometimes they wil come in hard and fast, other times slow and easy. So...not being able to see them while I'm jigging, I'm thinking maybe I should hold about 2' of line in my non-jigging hand,while jigging, with the bail open. When I know he's taken the lure, release the line, let him run a little bit, close the bail, then set the hook...sound like a plan? Anyone use this technique?
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Re: Jigging Technique
« Reply #1 on: Sep 30, 2011, 09:16 PM »
Interesting idea, I dont jig for pike often, but I do have them come in and hammer me while jigging. My camera lets me watch as they give my jig the stare down, but usually when they take a jig they really take it, no need to wait, just set the hook or they will do it for you. I have snapped two panfish rods when a pike hit, my rod tip was to close to the ice and it snapped.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #2 on: Oct 01, 2011, 07:14 AM »
I'll be using a 32"  med. action J. Higley graphite, 20# test mono w/ a small, thin plastic coated wire leader, so I'll  have plenty of bone. Gonna give those Pike Killa jigs a try. 
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

surflizard

« Reply #3 on: Oct 01, 2011, 07:54 AM »
I usually set my drag just tight enough to stick the hook into them and let them take off. When the drag is set the way I like it, I can peel line off by hand pretty easily, I can always tighten it after I Jab em !  ;)2 :roflmao:

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2011, 07:24 AM »
Half of the pikes I've hooked into, I've never seen them on the flasher.  They just torpedo'd from outside of my sonar cone.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2012, 10:21 PM »
Got one today 34" on a forage minnow rattle spoon tipped with a perch eye. Was smashing perch with it just raising it and lowering it a few inches with a little wiggle here and there. Just goes to show that the two species can be triggered the same ways, just different size baits (usually)!

It was quite a fight too on my 24" ice blue light action with 2lb mono.  :tipup:
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline shaun_300

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2012, 11:28 AM »
That's a pretty good idea, never thought of that. You're right, I've seem them come in like a missile! So fast you can just see a streak. That technique would work good if he managed to get the jig when going fast. I always had the bail closed because I find 90% of the time they'll miss it first then come back in a little slower, put the brakes on, analyze it, sometimes do a couple more passes, then hammer it. I always use a swedish pimple, Give it a good jig, let it sit for 5-8 seconds or so and repeat. Works good for me.

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2012, 08:17 AM »
do any of you guys use darters or clackin rapalas when jiggin for pike?
I Chase Toothy Critters!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.