Author Topic: First time going for walleye! Help!  (Read 1438 times)

Offline dlj01260

• Team IceShanty Regular
First time going for walleye! Help!
« on: Dec 14, 2013, 10:13 AM »
Finally got some ice in my area! I was wondering if you guys could help me with converting my tip ups over from the usual pike fishing to walleye. I've done some research and figured out they are usually around the bottom column of water. What I wanna know is how you set your tip ups up and what I should put on my jigging pole while I wait for a flag. This is my first time targeting walleye.
Thanks for the help guys! And good luck this year!!!
Dylan

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
Re: First time going for walleye! Help!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2013, 07:10 AM »
There a 100 different things you can do! You are starting in one of the right places. The other is the tip up section. If you are still have Dacron on your tip ups you can leave that on but add at least 4' of momo or floro to the end of it. One of the easiest rigs is putting on a #6 circle hook with a minnow on it with a 1/4 oz split shot about a foot up the line from the hook. Drop it down the hole until your minnow is about a foot off the bottom or weeds.

As for your jig poles, how much money do you want to spend? There are more jigs and lures out there than you can afford to buy to put on your line! Youtube one of our sponsors; PK lures and watch some vid's. I just invested into about a $100 worth of Salmo Chubby Darters and was given 1/2 dozen Pk lures and tungsten jigs for a early Christmas present. I have a bunch of Lindy ice fishing produces, raps, spoons, jigs with spinner blades, the list goes on and on. Lindy has been putting out some Fish Ed. videos that are great to watch and should give you some ideas.

Good luck!
Cliff

Chute82

« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2013, 04:52 PM »
For your jigging rod..  Guys here in Western, PA swear by blade baits (sonar lures).  But I have tried them with no luck.  I have had the best luck with a chubby darter, Rapala swimming minnow or swimming shad.  Also a chartreuse jig head with a minnow tapped off the bottom has slammed the fish for me.  Good luck

Offline dlj01260

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2013, 06:21 PM »
Thanks guys! Sounds like everyone is a big fan of these chubby darters! I will have to place an order! I hear overtime at work calling my name!!! Lol ;D
Dylan

Offline big bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • cant fish during the day...learn to fish at night
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2013, 12:10 PM »
you just never know what they will eat,last night at 11 pm under full lantern light i dropped a lil cleo(peeled all the paint off to make it silver)added a med minnow...caught a 22 inch wally,im relitively new to wally fishin...but im learning...if the fish are there...and the fish are hungry...they will hit on lots of different things. ;D
i just know they will bite if i stay another hour.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.