Author Topic: Lake of the Woods post #3456  (Read 1030 times)

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
Lake of the Woods post #3456
« on: Sep 09, 2019, 06:45 PM »
So I know this has probably been covered a few times but some buddies and I are going to make the pilgrimage up to LOTW this winter. Probably going to go with Zippel Bay. My big question is when should we go? As well as is it worth it to do the day houses through the resort or go out on our own with portables? Seems like it is pretty cool proof fishing up there but I don’t have the best luck when planning do it yourself trips. Also what are some of your best and worst experiences fishing lake of the woods?

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Lake of the Woods post #3456
« Reply #1 on: Sep 10, 2019, 08:23 AM »
Iceaddict,

We usually go up to LOW around Christmas.  By then they should have 16-24" of ice.  Weather will always play a part in the fish biting, but we can usually find them.  Electronics will help with seeing the fish on the bottom or suspended.  Going out with an outfitter will give you a heated house, the bait and ready to fish.  You will be in the houses where they think the fish are biting.  If you chose to go out in your houses, they will tell you where you could set up and you have the choice to move when you want.  Either way, should be a good time. 

You can fish that lake from mid December all the way into mid March.  the reports usually give the thickness, so an extension may be needed in some parts.  Checking with the resorts website fishing reports, you can see how the bite is going.  But, that is always the - "should have been here yesterday".  Good Luck! 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 2019, 08:53 AM »
Here is a link for you. Bookmark it to keep up to date on all things LOW.... https://lakeofthewoodsmn.com/?cbg_tz=360
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Hawks222

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Sep 10, 2019, 08:13 PM »
We went to zippel the last 2 years the first week of March. Like to dad my dad and he goes to Florida for most of the winter. First year we did the shallow water sleeper and deep water dayhouse. Caught most of dish in deep water. Barely any in our shallow house. Dad didn’t like the sleeper house, his first experience in one. Last year we did the cabin on shore and the deep water house. Did ok. Lots of small ones. Dad caught a 14” crappie which was pretty rare. Couple of nice perch. Cabins on shore are pretty decent. Think we might try somewhere else this year.

Offline buck05

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Sep 10, 2019, 09:53 PM »
I have fished it between Christmas  and New year the last 4 years. Love going up there. (Hate the drive though 16 hours from our house)I  have been there 3 times in March also. U just need an extension that time of year.  I recommend either early or March      The first time we went in March we drove the truck 17 miles out and dropped the sleds and went 3 more miles almost to garden island. Any questions feel free to pm me stayed at a couple resorts up there and had a guide twice. Also did the sleeper house thing to. If u wanted to do a great combo trip devils lake is only 4 hours away. One year we fished low for 3 days and speared pike on devils for 2 days. Also an awesome place.    Mark :tipup:

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #5 on: Sep 12, 2019, 12:33 PM »
Been out of Zipple a bunch of times, we stay there and haul out our own shacks and move around a bit. Our goal is just pre-spawn monster pike and have done very well in mid to late March.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.