Author Topic: Need help selecting a rod  (Read 2314 times)

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
Need help selecting a rod
« on: Oct 17, 2006, 01:52 PM »
I've got a few rods i use now but i am going to buy a st. croix legend rod. My only problem is that i don't know which one to get. I mainly fish for crappie, bluegills etc. but we are also on lakes and such with decent size walleye and bass. Can i get away with a light? or would i be better off with a medium?

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Need help selecting a rod
« Reply #1 on: Oct 17, 2006, 02:46 PM »
I'd go with a light action for panfish if you hook the occasional eye or bass then  hold on because it will be a nice fight with light tackle :)
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 17, 2006, 02:58 PM »
The med. lite would be ok since you can put different weight spring's on them according to the fishing situation. If you go that rout you'll just need to be careful with lite line when setting the hook ;)
        Jim

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 17, 2006, 04:14 PM »
is the medium fairly stiff? or will that still bend quite a bit with a big bluegill or perch on?

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Oct 17, 2006, 05:20 PM »
Buy two rods ;)

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 17, 2006, 05:31 PM »
If you are going to buy a St. Croix Legend rod and want it to be used for both pannies and walleye, I would buy the Medium Light rod. It comes with the medium spring that would work well with your walleye lures. Then buy a separate light spring for $5 more and use this for when you are using it for pannies. When you buy a reel for it, most usually come with a spare reel. Rig up the one spool with whatever pound line you usually use for walleyes, and rig up the spare spool with 2 lb. line for pannies. Just remember when changing or adjusting the spring on the legends to never pull the spring, always push it. Or otherwise you may damage the spring.
That's my suggestion and I'm sticking to it.  ;D
Ken                                          

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.