Author Topic: My best friend was hit by a snowmobile on Big Bay DeNoc Michigan today.  (Read 14590 times)

Offline lipripper89

• Team IceShanty Regular
One of my best friends, Parker Bambenek, was hit by a snowmobile today on Big Bay DeNoc, Michigan. The man on the snowmobile ran over one of his tip ups, so Parker got out of his shack and was yelling at the guy as he drove away, the snowmobile then turned around and Parker was waving his arms trying to get him to slow down or stop, but it hit him instead. He went flying and hit the ice with two broken legs, he is in an ambulance on his way to Marquette General (where I will be shortly) as I type this.

I was going to be fishing with Parker on LBDN tomorrow but now I will be heading to BBDN to talk to as many people as I can about this in an attempt to get some information on the man or the sled he was on. I am told he was on an orange sled and there were two people on it. I am asking any of you fellow fisherman who frequent either of the DeNocs to ask everyone you talk to out there about this and contact the state police and myself if you know anything at all.

We need to come together on this as a community and help the cops catch this guy or next time it could be you, me, or someone you love.

To the driver of the sled......I will be looking, and the cops better find you first....
Good Fishin!!!

Offline theangling1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Sorry to hear about your friend, hopefully those on the sled are caught.

God Bless.

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
Ok, this is a serious issue, makes all of us angry, amounts to an assault, we all want to see these slugs get caught but we can express our feelings minus the salty language, I've already had to remove/alter a couple of posts, don't want to do that, considering the seriousness of this issue, please Lipripper, keep us posted on your friend's condition, thanks guys.   Don
                                                                   Iceshanty Moderator

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
I don't know what to say about this. 
It's unbelievable that some person would run over someone on purpose.   >:(
I hope that your friend recovers quickly and fully and that those responsible are locked up for a long time.
Attempted murder is a pretty serious crime in my book.

Offline Salmon_Run

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired and enjoying it !!!
Best wishes and a speedy recovery to your buddy. Hope they catch the person involved and throw away the key.

Dan
Fish hard and live long !!!!!

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Ok, this is a serious issue, amounts to an assault,
Not sure about the actual laws in Michigan but they would be extremely lucky to get off with an assault charge in Ontario.
Minimum would be assault causing bodily harm, or even up to attempted murder. Careless operation of a snowmobile would also be tacked on.

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
Yeah, I would think it would be attempted vehicular homicide, or something along those lines. I hope he gets caught, but more important, I hope your buddy gets fixed up and healthy again.

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
10:1 alcohol was involved!

It really sux that your friends fun trip was ruined so badly!

Not only do I hope they catch the guy and throw his worthless butt in jail, I also hope he is made to pay restution to your friend out of his own pocket and not just his insurance company.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
This is horrible.  I pray for a quick recovery for your friend!  Im certain he would be doing some time as this would be a felony for reckless driving, assault, fleeing the scene.  If they can prove alcohal was a factor on top of that, this guy could be looking upwards of 15 years depending on his record.

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I will say a prayer for your friend and that the person/persons get caught and prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
10:1 alcohol was involved!
You know this for sure? Any details?

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
LipRip, hope your buddy heals fast and has no long term conditions to deal with over this. These characters need to be held responsible for this callus act of disregard for human life. They do not belong in society, hopefully they get state housing and free meals for a long long time, and soon! Hopefully someone is following their sled tracks and trying to get them NOW!

Here is an Astronomy lesson - The world revolves around the sun, not you!

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
bump

Offline FishingNewEngland

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
I've asked that Parker be added to our churches prayer list. I hope he has a speedy recovery.

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
Our thoughts and prayers go out to your friend !
 Lets hope the driver is caught and made an example of !
Ever state should have rules like we do , you cant operate a snowmobile any faster than it takes to maintain forward motion within 100 feet of an ice fisherman .
In this situation I'm pretty certain that law wouldn't have worked because this guy sounds like he was on a mission and planned what he did but at least it would be an additional charge once hes caught .

Offline brycro

• Team IceShanty Regular
Shame to hear that bead news.  Prayers out to your friend.  Kind of unbelievable that someone would intentionally run another person over with a snow machine.  I hope that person is found and brought to justice. 
I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do. – Izaak Walton

Offline slekeith

• Team IceShanty Regular
Our thoughts and prayers go out to your friend !
 Lets hope the driver is caught and made an example of !
Ever state should have rules like we do , you cant operate a snowmobile any faster than it takes to maintain forward motion within 100 feet of an ice fisherman .
In this situation I'm pretty certain that law wouldn't have worked because this guy sounds like he was on a mission and planned what he did but at least it would be an additional charge once hes caught .
Even with this law in NY we still have people fly by on sleds not all but enough.

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
An excerpt from Michigan snowmobile regulations:

A Person Shall Not Operate a Snowmobile:

While under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
    At a rate of speed greater than is reasonable for existing conditions.
    In a forest nursery, planting area or public lands posted or reasonably identifiable as an area or forest reproduction when growing stock may be damaged or any designated wild, wilderness or natural area in the state.
    On the frozen surface of public waters within 100 feet of a person, including a skater, not in or upon a snowmobile or within 100 feet of a fishing shanty or shelter except at the minimum speed required to maintain forward movement of the snowmobile, or on an area that has been cleared for ice skating, unless the area is necessary for gaining access to the public water.
    Within 100 feet of a dwelling between the hours of midnight and 6 a.m. at a speed greater than the minimum required to maintain forward movement of the snowmobile.
    Upon the land of another without consent of the owner or their agent, as required by the recreational trespass act.
    In an area open to public hunting during the November 15-30 firearm deer season from 7 a.m. to 11 a.m. and from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.
    While transporting a bow unless it is unstrung or encased, or a firearm unless it is unloaded and securely encased.
    ? On or across a cemetery or burial ground, airport, railroad or a railroad right-of-way, or within 100 feet of a sledding, skiing or skating area.
    To chase, pursue, worry or kill any wild bird or animal.
    In a public or private parking lot in a careless or negligent manner.

Accident Reporting

The law requires that the operator of a snowmobile involved in an accident resulting in injury to, or death of, any person, or property damage in an estimated amount of $100 or more, must immediately notify a law enforcement agency within the county in which the accident occurred.

Here is an Astronomy lesson - The world revolves around the sun, not you!

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
An excerpt from Michigan snowmobile regulations:

A Person Shall Not Operate a Snowmobile:

While under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
    At a rate of speed greater than is reasonable for existing conditions.
    In a forest nursery, planting area or public lands posted or reasonably identifiable as an area or forest reproduction when growing stock may be damaged or any designated wild, wilderness or natural area in the state.
    On the frozen surface of public waters within 100 feet of a person, including a skater, not in or upon a snowmobile or within 100 feet of a fishing shanty or shelter except at the minimum speed required to maintain forward movement of the snowmobile, or on an area that has been cleared for ice skating, unless the area is necessary for gaining access to the public water.
    Within 100 feet of a dwelling between the hours of midnight and 6 a.m. at a speed greater than the minimum required to maintain forward movement of the snowmobile.
    Upon the land of another without consent of the owner or their agent, as required by the recreational trespass act.
    In an area open to public hunting during the November 15-30 firearm deer season from 7 a.m. to 11 a.m. and from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.
    While transporting a bow unless it is unstrung or encased, or a firearm unless it is unloaded and securely encased.
    ? On or across a cemetery or burial ground, airport, railroad or a railroad right-of-way, or within 100 feet of a sledding, skiing or skating area.
    To chase, pursue, worry or kill any wild bird or animal.
    In a public or private parking lot in a careless or negligent manner.

Accident Reporting

The law requires that the operator of a snowmobile involved in an accident resulting in injury to, or death of, any person, or property damage in an estimated amount of $100 or more, must immediately notify a law enforcement agency within the county in which the accident occurred.

and there lies the problem, lots of rules, the fine might be a hundred dollars, they keep making rules but the problem is enforcing them and actually penalizing someone when something happens. the laws mostly let you down, what happens in a case like this is almost always different than what you would expect

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
An intentional act of running a person down like these guys did will, I hope and pray, result in a charge of attempted vehicular homicide or something very similar, however, being from another state I can only guess that there is such a charge in Michigan. I think the perps will be very unpleasantly surprised, particularly if the Michigan State Police are handling the case.  BTW, that law about a $100.00 minimum is for mandatory reporting, nothing to do with a fine resulting or levied from this victim's injuries. Oh yeah...orange snowmobile...someone out there knows who it belongs to...can't wait to see who these slugs are and what the charge is  ;)

Offline lipripper89

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers guys. The Orthopedic surgian just told us that he is done with surgery and he should be able to stand in a few days, but recovery will take a few months. He ended up with rods and bolts in both legs, with the left leg being worse than the right.

Good Fishin!!!

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Well that is good to hear! Lets hope he recovers fully from this.

Bullelk34

That is horrible! I'll pray for your buddy, and I hope they catch the guys that did it and bring them to justice.

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
This is shocking.  I hope that everyone comes together locally for you guys to catch this idiot, and I hope for your buddy Parker's speedy recovery.
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

sihlms391

Glad to here he is ok.   

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Lipripper you may want to copy and paste your original post here http://lake-link.com/Michigan-Fishing-Reports/report.cfm/4052/Little-And-Big-Bay-De-Noc/ to help get the word out.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline hap

• Team IceShanty Regular
That is an awful thing to happen. I see allot of sleds zipping by quite close and at ridiculous speeds form time to time and it make me nervous. Especially when the kids are with me. With the crap winter we've had here, the trails haven't been all that great and have been seeing more traffic on the lakes.

Unfortunately, when crap like this happens, it looks bad on  the sledders, though I have many friends that ride and I think most of them are responsible riders.

Hope your pal recovers quickly, and can get back out there.

Offline jonserfish1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hi, my name is Jeff and I'm a fishahaulic!
Wow! Absolutely crazy story. I really hope your friend gets Through this ordeal alright. With the economy the way it is two broken legs hurt the wallet as well. Maybe you could organize some kind of fundraising derby at the lake, and also pass out fliers with a description of the sled/suspects! It would help get the word out to the locals and help pay for heat as it can take a while to get on disability while he recovers. A nice group photo of event would probably lift his  spirits as well.

Offline cnypanfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Good god I just woke up and read this story, it's just unbelievable. I mean what can you say, it's just crazy talk.

I dunno if it is possible to maybe get some kind of fundraiser for this guy on IS, we have a great group on here, and every little bit would probably help in his recovery.

CNY

Offline bearbgone

• Team IceShanty Addict
Hoping for a speedy recovery for your friend!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.