Author Topic: 12 1/2 pound walleye caught on the St. Joe river in South Bend  (Read 3615 times)

Offline waterfowler

• Team IceShanty Regular
somebody showed me the article today in the south bend paper about the 12 1/2 pound walleye caught on the st. joe river that thing was a monster! Any body else see this? Where would anybody be ice fishing on the river i think they fish baugo bay?

Offline philk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just chasin that 12# eye
Re: 12 1/2 pound walleye caught on the St. Joe river in South Bend
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2010, 03:38 PM »
Here is the thread from a few days back.  Awesome fish.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=137262.0

Offline waterfowler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2010, 03:40 PM »
ok thanks i checked it out but nobody said anything about where on the river people ice fish does anybody know? there cant be very many places without current

Offline CEM

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2010, 03:57 PM »
It was over near baugo bay, in a channel off the river.  There are several back water areas on that strip that freeze up and can be ice fished.  There were several walleyes taken out of baugo bay last year and I heard of a few 40" northerns as well in that area.

Offline Mrwiggler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • " I'm going to miss her "
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2010, 04:18 PM »
ok thanks i checked it out but nobody said anything about where on the river people ice fish does anybody know? there cant be very many places without current

Waterfowler, i heard thru the grapevine that that Walleye came from Lexington Landing, in Elkhart. The source that told me knows the guy. Said the ice was really scary ,but did get out on iut. More guts then i got. That's pushing your luck, if you ask me. He was supposed to have got a huge northern a few days before that,too.

Offline waterfowler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2010, 05:45 PM »
where is lexington landing? I used to live in Elkhart i have heard of it but not sure where that is, also is there curent in there?

Offline RonSki

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2010, 06:14 PM »
 Lexington Landing is all private property. There are "No Parking" and "No Fishing" signs up all over the place. You can't get in there unless you know someone who lives there. I've been trying to get in there for a few years. IF those walleye were caught there, they either had permission or they were trespassing. I doubt they were, there's plenty of channels on the river. I live just down the road from there and haven't ever seen anyone icefishing there...

Offline gillhog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2010, 06:40 PM »
i think they might fish down by the bittersweet bridge area too

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2010, 06:43 PM »
Here she is
Tom

Offline wrightap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2010, 07:35 PM »
WOOOOOOZZZZERS!!!!!! I have caught some dandies thru Erie ice but that there is a giant.
Adam

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2010, 09:20 PM »
we use to get on lexington landing via jon boat if the river doesnt have to bad of ice flows. there is an access just across the street and down stream a bit.  just drive up on it till it quits breaking  and put the anchor and hop on the ice...
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline prosalmonking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2010, 04:17 PM »
im thinking of tryin the flats behind the apartmants at johnsonson st bridge... i always do good there from now until summer.. i normally throw dt6 rapalas shad colored and off of soft plastic swim baits.

Offline prosalmonking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2010, 04:22 PM »
the walleye in my pic i caught on sunday evening at johnson st bridge

Offline waterfowler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2010, 07:29 PM »
Nice eyes i did not think there was much room left there to fish with the new bridge going up, Man 2 years ago i fished there almost every single day starting about mid march till mid April and only caught one small eye, i did catch allot of pan fish big gills and big crappie from the bank and allot of smalls very good place to fish, i have caught allot of pike down by the YMCA wadding out in the water but never any eyes. i saw some Asian dudes catch a big walleye there last spring had to be close to 10lbs.

Offline woody350ep

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 04, 2010, 08:31 PM »
i saw some Asian dudes catch a big walleye there last spring had to be close to 10lbs.

Were there about 8 guys together?  My buddy and I have seen them all over elkhart and they clean out whatever hole they fish.  Every little fish they keep, and they don't get fishing licenses.  If it was them, call DNR right away and let them know.  The guys that cover elkhart are very aware of who they are and are trying to catch them.  We have reported them a few times and chased them off too.  They keep literally EVERY fish they catch.  What a disgrace.  I would probably be less mad if they at least bought licenses, but they are just double dipping the system

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 04, 2010, 08:34 PM »
Sushi

Offline prosalmonking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 04, 2010, 10:53 PM »
Nice eyes i did not think there was much room left there to fish with the new bridge going up, Man 2 years ago i fished there almost every single day starting about mid march till mid April and only caught one small eye, i did catch allot of pan fish big gills and big crappie from the bank and allot of smalls very good place to fish, i have caught allot of pike down by the YMCA wadding out in the water but never any eyes. i saw some Asian dudes catch a big walleye there last spring had to be close to 10lbs.

see i havent caught anything but walleye and smallies there. n the bridge didnt affect where i fish at johnson st. i catch walleye at the y too jus its better if the elkhart isnt really murky. i normally start goin for walleyes by mid near end of feb n keep catchin them til beg of may.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.