Author Topic: Catfish under ice  (Read 2172 times)

Offline JimBob2

• IceShanty Rookie
Catfish under ice
« on: Dec 02, 2022, 05:14 PM »

Does anyone target catfish? What methods do you use? Do you need sonar? What depths do you find them?

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Catfish under ice
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2022, 07:12 PM »
Well first question is what lake you planning on targeting them on that's the big question cause I've had different experiences with channel cat fish on different lakes
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline JimBob2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2022, 01:55 AM »
North Idaho, Fernan, Cocalla, Jewel, Hauser and any others you know of.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2022, 08:14 AM »
Upper and Lower Twin have Channel catfish also.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2022, 02:14 PM »
When they get channel cat fish
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2022, 10:25 PM »
I target catfish through the ice with some regularity. here’s what I’ve learned so far:

1. Warmer sunnier days, especially after a stretch of warm weather, are great for catfish. They get more active and aggressive, and will roam around looking for food. They can still be caught in colder weather, but they’ll be more subtle and picky.

2. They bite light in the winter. Jigging you should be able to detect a bite, but tipups must be set on the lightest setting, same with jawjackers or other automatic hooksetters.

3. Small lures and baits will increase your hookup ratio. The largest lure I’ll use is a #3 jigging rapala, and make sure you have sharp hooks. if I’m using cutbait, I’ll cut it so it’s no bigger than 1 inch. I also like packing treble hooks with 3 or 4 waxworms or about 1/3 of a nightcrawler. Maggots work great for tipping lures you’re actively jigging, just use about twice as many as usual. Color doesn’t seem to matter much, but scent is absolutely key.

4. Sonar is very useful, they’ll travel tight to bottom, but will swim a few feet off bottom to investigate a lure or bait. An underwater camera is also a useful tool if you manage to find a sunken tree or bush.

5. Target the edges of thick weedbeds, sunken bushes or trees, and both the top and bottom of ledges. Catfish will group up and shelter in trees and bushes, but they hunt along weedbeds and ledges.
Also, They may be in any depth of water, but I always find them in areas where deep water is nearby.

6. Be mobile. Catfish don’t roam far and wide like trout do. If you’re not getting bit or seeing fish on sonar or camera, you’re not in an area where catfish are hanging out. That said, once you find an area where there are some catfish, there’s likely more. Spread out, set dead rods, tipups, etc. and settle in. Don’t be afraid to spread way out, either. I like a spread that’s 50 yards or more from end to end. This should help you dial in the spot throughout the day. And the more lines in the water, the better; it’s a good idea to bring a friend or two along to maximize the amount of lines in the water.

7. Lastly, summertime scouting is hugely helpful. Many of my best wintertime catfish spots are spots where I catch catfish in the summer, too.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Offline FishDoktor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2022, 07:17 PM »
I target catfish through the ice with some regularity. here’s what I’ve learned so far:

1. Warmer sunnier days, especially after a stretch of warm weather, are great for catfish. They get more active and aggressive, and will roam around looking for food. They can still be caught in colder weather, but they’ll be more subtle and picky.

2. They bite light in the winter. Jigging you should be able to detect a bite, but tipups must be set on the lightest setting, same with jawjackers or other automatic hooksetters.

3. Small lures and baits will increase your hookup ratio. The largest lure I’ll use is a #3 jigging rapala, and make sure you have sharp hooks. if I’m using cutbait, I’ll cut it so it’s no bigger than 1 inch. I also like packing treble hooks with 3 or 4 waxworms or about 1/3 of a nightcrawler. Maggots work great for tipping lures you’re actively jigging, just use about twice as many as usual. Color doesn’t seem to matter much, but scent is absolutely key.

4. Sonar is very useful, they’ll travel tight to bottom, but will swim a few feet off bottom to investigate a lure or bait. An underwater camera is also a useful tool if you manage to find a sunken tree or bush.

5. Target the edges of thick weedbeds, sunken bushes or trees, and both the top and bottom of ledges. Catfish will group up and shelter in trees and bushes, but they hunt along weedbeds and ledges.
Also, They may be in any depth of water, but I always find them in areas where deep water is nearby.

6. Be mobile. Catfish don’t roam far and wide like trout do. If you’re not getting bit or seeing fish on sonar or camera, you’re not in an area where catfish are hanging out. That said, once you find an area where there are some catfish, there’s likely more. Spread out, set dead rods, tipups, etc. and settle in. Don’t be afraid to spread way out, either. I like a spread that’s 50 yards or more from end to end. This should help you dial in the spot throughout the day. And the more lines in the water, the better; it’s a good idea to bring a friend or two along to maximize the amount of lines in the water.

7. Lastly, summertime scouting is hugely helpful. Many of my best wintertime catfish spots are spots where I catch catfish in the summer, too.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

The last time I caught catfish through the ice was in the Midwest. And they were some of the most aggressive strikes I have ever had ice fishing. Lowering down a tipup (with minnow so not quite the same since can't do that in Idaho) they came up from the bottom a good 5-10 feet and absolutely nailed the minnow. I think generally yes, the bite will be lighter since they are a warm water fish, but at times you may be surprised

Offline JimBob2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2022, 10:50 PM »
I thank you guys for all the tips, I will be trying this a little later in the year.
Also have any of you fished for blue cats in Fernan?

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2022, 08:09 PM »
I’m from southern idaho, so no… I’ve fished Fernan once before, but it was in June a few years back. I’d love to get up there again someday though, I had a blast back then

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2022, 09:54 AM »

Brain fart.  I guess I had pike on the brain. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.