The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: ION Augers and Battery Temps  (Read 1578 times)

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
ION Augers and Battery Temps
« on: Nov 19, 2022, 11:31 AM »
At what temp do you need to use hand warmers, etc. in a battery bag or cooler to keep an ION's batteries warm between uses?  (It's a G3 auger that came with two batteries.)

Any experience with the ION battery bags to keep the batteries warm, or is there something that you like better? 

My gas auger is being retired to "back up/dust collector status" so will appreciate hearing your experiences with IONs regarding temps. I'd rather not hassle with taking the battery off between every set of holes if it doesn't have to be.

Thanks.
Dan

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ION Augers and Battery Temps
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2022, 06:08 PM »
The G3 batteries are the same as the other ION models.  How cold can they get before you had problems with them cutting out, etc?

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2022, 06:57 PM »
Hey Dan...I would just say not to believe all the negative things you hear about these batteries...I have the 1st model ION auger that I bought when they came out...Still use the original battery that came with the unit & have never had a problem with it...I do have a spare battery for it & I keep both of them in the ION battery bag...I rarely fish in a heated shelter, so the batteries are always sitting out on the ice with me...I've never put a hand warmer in the battery bag, but you definitely could if it worries you...Take your G3 auger with 2 batteries & hit the ice with no worries...Good luck & stay safe !!

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2022, 10:56 PM »
Sounds good. Thanks guys.

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2022, 08:07 AM »
I keep the one on the auger tucked in my jacket when travelling from spot to spot, the other 2 are in an ion bag with a couple hand warmers like others have said.

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FreshwaterPhil.com - Montreal fishing
« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2022, 02:09 PM »
I have the g2 that came with one 6ah battery. I've never run into any issues with it freezing or losing power to date. Most I've ever put it through was 80 holes into 20 - 22 inches of ice, on a day where we started at -18 C, warmed up to -11 C by mid afternoon.

Out in open with no shelter, nor battery bag or heater packs.

Still had 1 of 3 bars by day's end,and plenty of power to keep going.

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2022, 10:23 PM »
My brother-in-law gave one of those plastic green ammo boxes several years ago with some stuff inside for an Xmas gift. I put some high density foam in it and works perfectly to store my battery. Made some room for a hand warmer or two as well. But, to be effective, I'd have to drill a hole in it so the hand warmer can breath. But, I primarily fish out of a wheel house, so it's not an issue. Just sharing, so people know hand warmers quit working in air tight containers, like a cooler. Also, the ammo box is the perfect size and would easily hold two.
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline aza10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2022, 10:36 PM »
I ran my g2 6Ah in -10f or so for a full day.  cut a good amount of holes in 24" plus of ice.  zero issues with the cold only lost one notch or so of battery.. I don't see those insane arctic temps though.....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.