Author Topic: Whitefish Bites, how do you see them?  (Read 4052 times)

Offline bigmike7272

• Team IceShanty Regular
Whitefish Bites, how do you see them?
« on: Feb 01, 2010, 09:30 AM »
Was out fishin' for whiteys saturday they were biting so light that the hit wouldn't show up on a spring bobber, the camera showed that they were just coming up and grabbing the bait and spitting it back out immediatly what should I do?

Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember some of it. Involve me and I will have lifetime knowledge.

-Anomymous

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Whitefish Bites, how do you see them?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2010, 12:09 PM »
When the bait disappears stick it to 'em!!!  ;D

You may need to work on your reflexes Grasshopper!!!  ;)2

What were you using for bait.
If it was artifical you may want to add scent or a piece of minnow to get them to hold on a bit longer.

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2010, 06:46 PM »
they were biting so light that the hit wouldn't show up on a spring bobber, the camera showed that they were just coming up and grabbing the bait and spitting it back out immediatly what should I do?
How do you even who they were biting ("grabbing the bait and spitting it back out immediatly")? I suspect they were only coming up & taking a look.

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2010, 07:43 PM »
How do you even who they were biting ("grabbing the bait and spitting it back out immediatly")? I suspect they were only coming up & taking a look.

He forgot to put it in, but in another thread he said he was using a camera.

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2010, 12:22 AM »
When I see whitefish coming in, on the vexilar or camera - I start to slowly lift my bait.

This makes 'em think that their meal is trying to get away. (albeit slowly)
It sometimes makes the whitefish hit a little harder.

I also had that problem the other day, and started sight fishing by blacking out the windows in the shack and watching the fish come in and hit.

I just bought a Frabil 24" ultralight rod with a quick tip.   I'm dying to try it out, but I need to kick this cold first.

Wiener

Offline bigmike7272

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2010, 10:36 AM »
i was using single eggs i did mention that i had a camera. i am sure that they were hitting it because i was making sure i had a nice bead on where my hook was they would suck it up and spit it back out before i reacted i guess i do need to work on my reflexes a little.

Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember some of it. Involve me and I will have lifetime knowledge.

-Anomymous

Offline Tailboard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2010, 09:07 PM »
Try using a very sensitive rod and very subtle jigging action, lightly stirring up the bottom for a while then pause. 
I use a small tear drop or jig head usually tipped with a wax worm. When the whitefish takes the bait it is very light and your rod tip will bend slightly, almost feels like it is starting to freeze in the hole. A sweep up and steady pressure as you reel and you will have fish on the ice. It takes time to learn and it is all about finesse and presentation.   Good luck   Tailboard

Offline bigmike7272

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2010, 10:46 AM »
thanks for the tips guys

-Anomymous

Offline tapsboy68

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2010, 07:46 PM »
set the hook before they hit. Thats what some old timer said. lightly jig or lift your rod and when it is moving they will hit and you will be able to feel it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.