Author Topic: Fishing Partners  (Read 2631 times)

Offline KLR1968

• IceShanty Rookie
Fishing Partners
« on: May 07, 2020, 12:14 AM »
Anyone else have trouble getting someone to fish with. I got tired of going fishing with someone who either forgets half their stuff, doesn't show up on time, doesn't show up at all. Tell them to just bring food and I will bring everything else (auger, poles, bait, icehouse, sleds, etc) and they show up with a single sandwich. That or ask them to just bring beer and they show up with 2 freaking beers. Or, they do show up, but with 5 extra guys who you don't even know. I got no problem with someone who is just learning and doesn't have a ton of gear, hell, we have all been there. If you are supposed to meet me at 6 am and you are just putting your stuff together at 5:30, don't bother. Same with hunting. I get so damn pissed off

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Fishing Partners
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 06:40 AM »
Fishing is part of the culture here, everyone fishes, has the equipment and knows the ropes, so it is just a matter of taking turns with who goes on the next trip.  I ice fish alone on my home lake part of the time, but when going on a long snowmobile trip to a remote lake, or one of the ice fishing trips when we stay at one of the cabins overnight, I will normally go with 2-4 other people.  For summer fishing, it is limited to 1-2 people, whether if going somewhere in the big boat, or on 4-wheelers/plane into a remote lake.  There is a core group of 5 people I fish with on a revolving basis, with probably that many more I fish with occasionally during the year, with the odd new person thrown in on occasion, everyone pulls their own weight, if they are not compatible for one reason or another they are not invited again (but that would be a rarity).  I am very fortunate to have a good group to go with.

Offline Jagger0502

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 07:23 AM »
I am a true introvert by choice when it comes ice fishing but only because I deal with people all day at my job and ice fishing is a place I like to clear my head. 90% of the time I am only with this fella who does a great job hole hopping or giving a grunt when a flag goes off that I don’t notice.

But I also ask everyone I know to go and have the gear set up for a group but rarely get anyone to go other than my old man. Sometimes some family members and every once and a while a buddy might join me but even if they do, I hole hop so I am rarely sitting around a hole with them as I always think the big one is in the next hole. I do enjoy taking new people out to fish and showing them the ropes, lending gear (cheap gear) and having options for destinations to fish in most cases. Just in my area there are very few that love it as much as I do and I don’t mind spending the days or night walking around on the ice by myself or with my dog Jagger.

Dad- “Did I wait to long? Should I have set the hook? “ Me- “I am fairly certain fish don’t have hands....”

“GET EM!” - Scott Odonnell

Offline darkeyez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 08:22 AM »
Just eliminate the people who don't hold up their end, I DID!
There are plenty of people out there who will show up on time and have what was asked for on their part, no need to put up with the slackers.

Offline gorf37

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 10:53 AM »
Fish with dudes over 40!  Looking back at the stuff I did in my 20's at 35 I just shake my head.  As far as I can see 40-50 is the sweet spot of knowing what the hell you're doing while still having the energy to fish all day. 

After that you know what you're doing too well and you're limited out by lunchtime... ;D

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 04:08 PM »
Luckily half of my fishing buddies are guides, and the other half has all their own stuff as well. If we plan to meet at the spot, we get there when we get there, everyone has their own stuff to set up. Gotta love having drill augers, everyone shows up with their own now that I’ve converted them.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2020, 05:41 AM »
Fish one guy that I have been fishing with for 25+ years. After he was old enough to have his own ride the rule was I am leaving at 05:30 not going to wait. About 60/40 weather he shows up on time.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2020, 06:48 AM »
 At 64 I mostly fish by myself as most of the guys either don’t fish anymore or still working , so it’s mostly weekends with them so I let them pick what the fish of the day is perch ,pans , Lakers  or eyes , and they are all seasoned except for 1 young lad of 25 that fishes well beyond his years , and they all have plenty of equipment , far as being late our golden rule is if not there within 10-15 min start fishing the late 1 will catch up
Most of the time  We drive separately

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2020, 10:10 AM »
About the only people I fish with these days are my wife, grandson or son. Most of my fishing buddies have passed away or quit fishing. I'm considering getting a fishing kayak for small lake or pond fishing. I just don't know if my creaky old bones would survive being that confined. My wife says she would like a canoe we could use with our electric trolling motor. Might be a good idea.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2020, 09:48 AM »
I have more good luck than bad. I can only think of 1 guy that I would not go with again- an angry drunk. A little dangerous and not at all pleasant to be around. I suppose that over time you sift out your friends to the ones you can count on. I assume they do the same, so I try to be on time, and be a good partner as well. It really adds to my experience to have someone along to share the excitement with, and of course it is always a good idea for safety.

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2020, 03:06 PM »
At 72 years of age the grim reaper and effects of aging. Has whittled my choice of fishing partners to zero. I must say I  was truly spoiled over my long fishing career. The ones that are gone made hard for any one to match.

Perhaps the fault is mine that I expect too much. Always thought the old rules that were among us were good ones.
1. Be on time
2. All expenses fairly shared. ( Unless unemployed then working mans treat. )
3. Be in no rush to get back home.
4. No forbidden subjects. Stating ones point as loudly as needed created no hard feelings.
5. Regardless of how trip is progressing. Never say " I could be doing X ".
6. Drinking ok but getting drunk whilst fishing big no-no.

Two of my buds died of effects of alcoholism but never violated rule number 6. Other things that really annoy me. Constant cell phone usage. Why not just stay home and stay connected. Finally a guy that tries to make a fishing trip into a military exercise. If i wanted to take that many orders. I would just stay home with my woman.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2020, 04:52 PM »
Then there's the time when it's 4 pm you're 70 miles from home and anxiously thinking the evening bite is about to start. Suddenly your fishing buddy asks,  " Did I mention that Linda wants me home by 6 pm?". @#$&÷&%%)[<!!!!  I started asking him how long Linda was going to allow us to fish the next few times we went and then quit taking him along. Some people just come with too much baggage.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2020, 07:30 PM »
Yup, great memories.
Veritas Odium Parit

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.