Author Topic: Searching for crappies  (Read 4999 times)

Offline nodakclam19

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If ya can't catch em, break out the beer.
Searching for crappies
« on: Dec 23, 2012, 12:20 AM »
I'm looking for lakes that would possibly hold a lot of Crappies and then where on that lake you may find them. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully someone could point out some spots on this lake where I could target some.

Fall: Duck/Pheasant/Bow Hunting
Winter: Hardwater Fishing
Spring: Snow Goose Hunting
Summer: Musky/Walleye Fishing

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Searching for crappies
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2012, 06:17 AM »
From the look of that map you have many spots. Some will be better than others. Drill lots of holes and move around. Look for live weeds. Should not take to long to find them. Remember. If at first you don't succeed. Try try again.  ;)
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2012, 06:30 AM »
the bottom right hand corner of my screen looks best to me ware it is 5 -10 foot deep. look for coon tail cabage etc.. broad leaf water plans hoep they did not die off on you they tend to once ice comes  this is a night spot to use with lantrens at night.  if fishing during the day they will be suspened so try locateing them in deep water they will be like 12 foot down in 20 fow. close by a spot like this. or adjacent to the spot. they come in to check there spring spawning gronds and feed on minnows  is why there close to the 5 10 fow. will be deep during the day and move in at night.    if your wondering ware i got this is the book "ice fishing secrets" by in fishermen lot more info reading lakes and maps in it.   

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2012, 11:22 AM »
Wherever the food they're looking for is. Early, the outside edge of the live weeds, look for cuts, troughs and/or something unique on the bottom. As the weeds die, follow the food chain. That's a decent size body of water, the bowl just East of the ramp is interesting as is the the area to the SSW of the ramp. Need to remember maps don't show everything, strange ups and downs can and do occur between the contour lines. Recon during the summer is very handy for figuring out what's really down there.

Offline nodakclam19

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If ya can't catch em, break out the beer.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2012, 02:04 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys, I know the bowl on the NorthEast corner of the map does not hold crappies but actually walleye. I was hoping you guys could circle some spots on the map so I know exactly what you are talking about.
Fall: Duck/Pheasant/Bow Hunting
Winter: Hardwater Fishing
Spring: Snow Goose Hunting
Summer: Musky/Walleye Fishing

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2012, 08:39 PM »
All the written info is below…

Try in areas 1,2,3
 In area one, two, and three  the purple "x" area is where the flats is and the blue “x” is where they suspend same with areas two and three.  Try to find funning point and flats etc… with broad leaf plants such as coon tail and cabbage plants. These should be at point where the five foot drops to ten there may be a area they follow in you want to be right on the edge of it were it drop off.  like in three ware the 10 foot area is and the five foot around it . There is also a small margin that 1 maybe a funneling point but there is only one way to find out is by fishing it.  Any ways here are some snap on how to read crappie in winter the coldest water from the book crappie wisdom. they aslo in deep water lakes sit on rock piles with bull gills.  Any ways best of luck.  hope this help you....

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2012, 09:59 PM »

herer are some from my ice fishing secrects book..

Offline Grim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2013, 01:25 PM »
Thanks for that info fish kabob!!!

Offline nitram

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2013, 02:14 PM »
Very good information.

Offline JigChaser08

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I Was Fishin'
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2013, 10:05 PM »
Very good information.

agreed. i need to pick me up a copy  :)
Henry

Offline CrappieNutJustin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2013, 10:46 PM »
that horseshoe or u turn on the sw corner sticks out to me, horseshoes/u turns do well for me around here, however anywhere in deep water off the edge of the weed lines should be good, but i would start at the sw corner if it was me, as someone else mentioned, the bowl by the landing looks intriguing also, quite a few good looking areas on that lake actually.

Offline wish4fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2013, 05:11 AM »
I've been fishing a lake w/ similar shape/ depth, checked it in fall and did well in an area like "A". Thought I would kill 'em on ice, but after 4 trips have only been able to pick up a few each trip. Where'd they all go? Are they all hiding in the weeds?

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2013, 06:02 PM »
shoulda copied and faxed book to em.....
It's all about Karma.....

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2013, 11:13 PM »
I've been fishing a lake w/ similar shape/ depth, checked it in fall and did well in an area like "A". Thought I would kill 'em on ice, but after 4 trips have only been able to pick up a few each trip. Where'd they all go? Are they all hiding in the weeds?

there are ten periods threw out the year. early winter and late winter are two of them. early winter is the one in area "a". now if talking right now they will be suspeneded in deep holes and in deep water and their harder to find in "late winter ".  cause you need a vex or some sort of sonar to hit them and hit them hard.   but it is posible to hit them with out it but very hard to do.  any ways right now uasly mounth or two of ice is early ice.   then from there on is late ice or late winter same thing just different word for them. it is better to target early in the year then in the late winter but in late winter you do get bigger fish soemtimes. any ways best of luck hope you get on them...   

Offline wish4fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2013, 01:52 AM »
Thanks for the assist. Thats how the game goes I guess... Frustrating one day.... Rewarding the next..... Stinking Crappies

Offline Travis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Bait?
« Reply #15 on: Feb 05, 2013, 07:43 AM »
Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day.  But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

Offline Riffle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 19, 2013, 11:15 AM »
agreed. i need to pick me up a copy  :)

What book is this?

Is it Ice Fishing Secrets: http://www.amazon.com/Ice-Fishing-Secrets-Fisherman-Library/dp/0929384199

Offline PDubs/NH

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 19, 2013, 12:07 PM »
What book is this?

Is it Ice Fishing Secrets: http://www.amazon.com/Ice-Fishing-Secrets-Fisherman-Library/dp/0929384199

I have the exact same pages in the "Crappie Secrets" book from the In fisherman series...its either from 'Crappie' or in both...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.