Author Topic: Best ice fishing gloves??  (Read 41232 times)

Offline Yukon Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chillin' Out!!
Re: Best ice fishing gloves??
« Reply #30 on: Jan 01, 2009, 10:05 AM »
Thanks all, I knew I could count on the forum for good advice.... :thumbsup:
Steve

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #31 on: Jan 01, 2009, 11:21 AM »
On a day like today it's hard to find anything to keep your hands warm while tending traps. Wool is always good with a hothand in each one. If you start to feel your hands freezing up and the fish is still fighting tie  the fish off to something and warm your hands up, because once you freeze them they'll bother you all winter. When i was a kid duckhunting I froze my hands so bad that it felt like I had mittens on packed with snow when I rowed out to pick up some ducks. My hands didn't really hurt until they hit the heat and wow. It took years to repair the damage.
Steve

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Feb 12, 2009, 09:39 PM »
Wind-Stopper Glo-Mitts-- they look goofy but they work

http://www.wolfarchery.com/h3-glomitts-p-7160.html?osCsid=afe3a4e541814e75c30d506811190a88

*Not Affiliated w/ Seller
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline Teeder Pole

• IceShanty Rookie
  • St. Lawrence Pike Puller
« Reply #33 on: Feb 15, 2009, 09:55 AM »
Well, I like the Canadian Military arctic mitts. Long cuff, leather outers w/ fleece on the back, and snap-in liners. My hands have actually sweated doing open air in -20C temps with these.

I don't wear them constantly, usually wear a thin pair of gloves for ease of rod handling 'till hands get cold. then throw on the big mitts to warm 'em up. Until needed, they hang on a piece of paracord and 2 small biners around my neck under my suit.

Keeps 'em warm and dry to rapidly warm up those stinging digits... ;-)

Tight Lines!
Catchin' Pike is What I Like!!!

Offline duckbuster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 16, 2009, 02:30 PM »
Any glove thats dry, needless to say mine always end up wet so my hand just go into my pockets.

Offline ICE KID

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got perch?
« Reply #35 on: Nov 09, 2009, 02:56 PM »
On average days(20-32) I were a pair of gloves made by glacier bay, any colder and I were ice armor mittens. the glacier bay gloves are a neoprene glove with the "shark skin" texture all around the glove and they are fairly warm but best of all water proof, and are lined with fleece.
give me 5 good reasons to head home and I'll pretend to consider it.

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Nov 09, 2009, 03:45 PM »
I have used cheap thinsulate for years.
Just bought a pair of ice armor gloves for this season.

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #37 on: Nov 09, 2009, 03:55 PM »
I pull my gear out wearing a pair of old Burton Snowboard Mittens. They go in the sled and I wear wool gloves with no fingers/thumbs the rest of the time on the ice. I carry 2 pair and swap em out when 1 pair gets too wet.

Offline Iceman421

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Nov 11, 2009, 01:36 PM »
Fingerless ragg wool and Ice Armor Extreme gloves, depending on the weather.

Offline tarbot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Nov 11, 2009, 01:48 PM »
Football hand muff and heater packets...  Looking at getting the Zippo hand warmer this year to put in the pocket of the muff.

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #40 on: Nov 23, 2009, 06:05 PM »
I wear fingerless gloves, with a skin tight full fingered glove underneath on my left hand. Sometime's if its really cold I'll wear full fingered gloves under my cutoffs on both hands, but I like to be able to feel the line, rod, ect. Gloves come off for baiting.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline diabetik11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Nov 26, 2009, 08:31 AM »
i like clams gloves.

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Sunset on Merrymeeting Lake 3/18/09
« Reply #42 on: Nov 26, 2009, 08:36 AM »
Never where them while doing traps or jigging, my wear them to take the edge off standing around.
Hosted New England Outdoors New Hampshire Fishing Show 1989 to 1994.

Offline solar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Nov 27, 2009, 12:54 PM »
This Fall, I've been using the Clam gloves on the days where I need to. They really are warm and waterproof, despite releasing a Muskie after the fight, the inside of the gloves were very dry. And unlike some insulated waterproof gloves (a pair I got last year for hunting from Cabela's) these don't have that inner lining that pulls inside-out everytime you pull your gloves off. The Clam Ice Armor gloves are a home run in my opinion.

Chris

Offline Yopy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Nov 29, 2009, 04:13 PM »
one thing i do to keep my hands from being exposed so much throughout the day is to bring a pair of tongs, those that you use in the kitchen,

and use them to handle the fish instead of the usual hand, they are pretty handy.

Offline bicephalic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Nov 30, 2009, 10:02 AM »
I have ice armor gloves that I wear when it's really cold.  I love the waterproof feature, but hate the lack of 'feel' and mobility.  No gloves on for tending to lines, and last year on not-so-cold days I found a small pair of stretchy thermal liner gloves under latex surgical gloves worked great for almost full time wear.  Went through quite a few pars of the latex, but it kept the liners dry, and I still had enough sensitivity to feel the fish/reel them in.

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Nov 30, 2009, 10:27 AM »
anyone tried snowsuit's gauntlet gloves?  got a couple fingers that won't hold ANY heat (a way too fast of day on a local farm pond a couple years ago)...and these look pretty nice...i have ice armor extreme mitts but am looking for a nice set of gloves.

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Nov 30, 2009, 10:32 AM »
I bought myself a pair of neoprene gloves, I try to never take them off. Like a wetsuit they just hold the water next to my skin and the water will just warm-up and I'm fine, if I take them off then the water gets cold and when I put the gloves back on my hands have to rewarm the water. I would agree that gloves aren't the best while jigging, but frozen hands are worse.

I also have a pair of snowmobile gloves that I wear when I'm not jigging, and try to bring several other pairs of gloves.

Offline nhfisha17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Nov 30, 2009, 10:39 AM »
one thing i do to keep my hands from being exposed so much throughout the day is to bring a pair of tongs, those that you use in the kitchen,

(Image removed from quote.)

and use them to handle the fish instead of the usual hand, they are pretty handy.

Do you hold your beer with those tongs too?  ;D
[img]http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj70/mrkcrne05/Icce%20Fishing/TEAMNH3.png[img]

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #49 on: Nov 30, 2009, 02:33 PM »
I have some Ice Armor Extreme gloves and haven't used them much. I did use them a few times sitting on a bucket next to my truck and they were warm. Anyone else use these?
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #50 on: Dec 05, 2009, 08:19 AM »
Check out OR (Outdoor Research) gloves. You can see them on Campmor site or go directly to their site.

I like them cause the shells are waterproof and have removable liners. I like the removable liners, they don't invert while taking your damp or wet hands in and out. Easy to dry too. They are pricey though but well worth the money. Definitely some of the best ice fishing gloves you can own. Lots of different styles too.

I also use Kinko's insulated gloves as they are cheap. I tend to beat the sh!t out of them, only good for 1 year.

JIGGIN.

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Dec 06, 2009, 12:21 AM »
Manzella gortex

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Dec 06, 2009, 04:54 AM »
I tried out my new "IceArmor" gloves.

They are waterproof, warm and not bulky.

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Dec 06, 2009, 05:00 AM »
I wear latex surgical gloves under cheap cotton work gloves. I just slip off the cotton glove when baiting up or handling a fish. My hands are always dry which means warm. You can also tie knots with them on w/o much of a problem.

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Dec 06, 2009, 05:32 AM »
I have a pair of the Arctic Armor gloves. They may be a little pricey but, they keep my hands warmer than el cheapo's. IMO.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline Colli2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Dec 06, 2009, 06:56 AM »
O.K, I am relitively new at the hardwater tactics but the only question I really have is what are the best gloves to wear when baiting hooks and setting lines so that my hands don't get so numb that it last all day?? What do you folks use??

AND DR. McGILLACUDDY ISN'T AN ANSWER ;)2

Can't tend tipups properly with gloves or mittens on. Take them off - tend to business - put them back on. By the way, I have learned that mittens will keep your hands far warmer than any gloves will but maybe that is just me.

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Dec 06, 2009, 03:28 PM »
I'm a big fan of oversized mittens too. They're easy to get on and off and I put little handwarmers in each. I jig with the Ice Armor gloves and use the mittens between set up and flags.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Dec 08, 2009, 02:09 PM »
Insulated jersey gloves with the tip of the index finger and thumb cut off for jigging, nothing else for the other stuff. Neoprene gloves for drilling
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline smbrickner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Dec 08, 2009, 02:15 PM »
I wear neoprene gauntlet waterfowl gloves for drilling and cleaning holes.
Glo-Mitts for fishing.  Take them off for baiting of handling fish.
If you want a country run by religion....Move to Iran.

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Dec 08, 2009, 02:48 PM »
I even bait my hooks with my neoprene gloves on, it sucks, but its better then frozen hands

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.