Author Topic: striker hardwater bibs  (Read 3121 times)

Offline rags

• Team IceShanty Addict
striker hardwater bibs
« on: Jan 03, 2016, 11:46 AM »
How many years do you expect a pair of bibs to last before they need replaced ?

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
Re: striker hardwater bibs
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2016, 02:13 PM »
Depends how u use them, if you walk thru briars to get to the lake, do you use to deer hunt, do you fish on your knee's a lot, I only use mine for ice fishing, don't walk thru anything but snow and expect them to last for 10 years!

Offline Loudenback

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2016, 02:21 PM »
They are built very well.

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2016, 03:28 PM »
Yea I'd like to think mine would last 10+ years. The blade on my auger may think otherwise though.
It must be something in the water.

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2016, 02:25 PM »
Been using mine for the last four years. The bottom of the pants are starring to fray a bit but it was my fault for getting and XL where a L would have fit me better. I get a good amount of use in them at least on the ice 15-20 days a year. I'm very mobile with them too, drilling around and using 25 holes each time the shelter is mainly to warm my hands or have lunch/nap time lol. Make sure if your snowmobiling with them you remove the snap on towels so you don't lose them.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2016, 02:31 PM »
both my striker ice lite and hardwater bibs lasted 1 season before having to  be sent back for crotch panel repair.now they both have come unraveled  again so im just going to sew a big patch over the problem area.these were the first run bibs and the newer style says improved crotch panel but im going to try a different brand of bibs this year.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2016, 04:32 PM »
DR.SPECKLER, what year did you buy your Hardwater bibs? 

I just bought my Hardwater bibs  and used them Saturday for the first time and they lived up to my expectations and appear to be very well made.  The only two things I would change on them is I would put the snakeskin material that's on the knees from the bottom of the legs up to the the bottom of the knee pads so there's no chance of the cuffs ever wearing out and have more of an elastic waist band, the one in them doesn't stretch much at all.  The elastic waist band would help out guys like me who are in between sizes that really don't need to go up a size for any other reason than wanting to have the peace of mind that they won't have to go get a new pair of bibs if they gain some weight.  As for the snakeskin on the bottom of the legs, it really isn't much of an issue since you can adjust the leg length so they aren't dragging but it would be a nice addition.  On Saturday it wasn't very cold or windy, it was damp with light rain off and on  the light rain beaded up, rolled off, the dampness didn't penetrate, and they worked great in my opinion.  This week it's going to be noticeably colder so that'll be a better test but I'm sure I'm not going to be disappointed. 

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2016, 04:42 PM »

I just bought my Hardwater bibs  and used them Saturday for the first time and they lived up to my expectations and appear to be very well made.  The only two things I would change on them is I would put the snakeskin material that's on the knees from the bottom of the legs up to the the bottom of the knee pads so there's no chance of the cuffs ever wearing out and have more of an elastic waist band, the one in them doesn't stretch much at all.  The elastic waist band would help out guys like me who are in between sizes that really don't need to go up a size for any other reason than wanting to have the peace of mind that they won't have to go get a new pair of bibs if they gain some weight.  As for the snakeskin on the bottom of the legs, it really isn't much of an issue since you can adjust the leg length so they aren't dragging but it would be a nice addition.  On Saturday it wasn't very cold or windy, it was damp with light rain off and on  the light rain beaded up, rolled off, the dampness didn't penetrate, and they worked great in my opinion.  This week it's going to be noticeably colder so that'll be a better test but I'm sure I'm not going to be disappointed.
                                You wont be disappointed, you are wearing a "portable shanty"!!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2016, 05:13 PM »

I got the ice lite suit the first year they came out like 2 years ago and bought the striker hardwater suit last season.the stitching keeps fraying or coming undone in the crotch/inside and outside and in the legs too.i have the correct size as I wear 3x.my striker gloves stitching came undone also.idk keep an eye on the stitching thru the years is all i can say.they are the warmest suit I have ever worn and the hardwater coat is a  furnace.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2016, 05:17 PM »
I got the ice lite suit the first year they came out like 2 years ago and bought the striker hardwater suit last season.the stitching keeps fraying or coming undone in the crotch/inside and outside and in the legs too.i have the correct size as I wear 3x.my striker gloves stitching came undone also.idk keep an eye on the stitching thru the years is all ii can say.
                    Got my hardwater suit last year also, fished about 60-80 times last year, and so far no problems.  Had a pair a few years ago that the critch stitching came undone, sent them back and they re enforced them at no charge.  As much as I go fishing I sold them to my buddy that knew the whole story and bought a new set, he got a heck of a deal!!

Offline tlzkaasen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2016, 05:15 AM »
Purchased a pair of Hardwater bibs in December 2014 and basically lived in them last ice fishing season. They've exceeded my expectation in quality, warmth, and ability to keep me dry.  I guess I'll have to take a close look and see if I have any fraying going on now, but really don't think so. ???

Alva Lake in Harshaw, WI (15 minutes to Rhinelander, Tomahawk and Minocqua)

Offline tracker one

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • if you ain't gonna eat em,throw em back
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2016, 05:24 AM »
I bought the best pair Cabelas had 15 years ago and I am still wearing them,no leaks,no tears,no broken zippers,no problems at all.Love it!

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2016, 08:24 AM »
I bought the best pair Cabelas had 15 years ago and I am still wearing them,no leaks,no tears,no broken zippers,no problems at all.Love it!
                            Im sure your bibs are great, in quality and warmth, but they don't float, that's why I got the hardwater bibs!!  Just in case, some guys say they never fish till the ice is "safe", I don't think anyone that falls thru the ice plans to!!

Offline rabcon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 12, 2016, 04:29 PM »
Got my Hardwaters bibs today, I was going by the size chart to get my size . It was way off for me I wear a xl shirt 38 waist but with a 47 in. belly. The striker chart said I should be a 4xl. Thought that was kinda big. so I got the 3xl. Still way to big. Was looking forward to having them this weekend seeing it is going to be -30. Wish the chart would of been closer in there sizing. got a good 6'' in the belly area to much and no I don't plan on getting any bigger.

Offline icehound67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2016, 03:45 PM »
Just came back from a leasurely walk, the temp outside is 11 degrees with a windchill of -12. I figured I'd try out the Hardwaters see how they did.  I was standing most of the time not walking. I had on a silk baselayer shirt with a pair of THIN sweatpants.  I was actually warm to the point of wanting to take off jacket.  I was wearing the Striker Knucklehead beanie and was OK, felt a little cold without the hood.HEADsock  I got home and swapped out the beanie with my Headsock fleece pullover balaclava and that was the ticket!!  Hopefully heading out on the ice in the morning, this suit is amazing.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2016, 07:37 PM »
What coat do you have?  I have the Hardwater bibs and even today when it was 0 with a -25 wind chill I was very warm.  I stated thinking about this and am thinking that I might be better off going with the Predator coat because the bibs and coat will over lap for most of my chest and back and if I go with the Hardwater coat it might be too warm.  I know I can take the coat off or open the vents but I don't want to do that.  Has anyone else done this and how does it work for you?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.