Author Topic: portable shacks  (Read 7550 times)

bigtroutman

portable shacks
« on: Dec 12, 2003, 08:37 PM »
Hey everyone.I am new here just looking for ideas on building a light weight portable ice shack.I built a good one last year it was 3'x4'(i know it sounds small but it was great for one guy).Mine was good to fish in but hard to pull i had arced plywood skiis and i tried crazzy carpet sleds on them to slide.That worked good till the snow got hard in -15 celcius or colder it pulled off or ripped.Mine was all hinged and made out of fiber board plywood so it got heavy after my heater melted the snow and sogged it.If there are any ideas on a cheap light weight 1 person shack i would like to here.

Ice Gido

Re:portable shacks
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2003, 11:17 PM »
Bigtroutman check out:
http://www.stopsnoringnow.com/iceshanty/ and
http://www.ontario-ice-fishing.com

Make sure you check out the "photo gallery" at the stopsnoring site.

I built a couple of one person ice huts which are 30" x 54".  My basic design is the same as the stopsnoring model except that I:
 - downsized it to 30" x 54"
 - made the floor into a box 5" high on the sides & 7" high on the ends (this gives it a higher roof when opened)
 - left both ends solid and made it so one side roles up
 - used 2 x 4's on edge for runners and capped them with skiis
 - put a thin piece of metal between the skiis and the runners on the front end where the skiis bend up (this piece of metal goes right accross the front of the hut and acts as a toboggan and helps the hut ride on top of the snow)
 - used canvas to cover it (old tent)
 - cut the bottoms off round 8" tupperware or rubbermaid containers to seal the holes (keeps the snow out when travelling)

I use the hut as a wind break (sit inside and fish outside) when I'm fishing with others, or when its cold and I want heat (lantern) I close it up and fish through the floor (use a short rod, 18"). The unit weighs 75 lbs., is easy for one person to handle and works great.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2003, 07:01 PM »
Don't forget to check out "Ice shack tips" link on the main forum here.

Ice Gido

« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2004, 06:53 PM »
Hey Bigtroutman, how did you make out with your your ice shack?  Any words of wizdom for the rest of us? ???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.