Author Topic: Hello fellow BCer's  (Read 4947 times)

Offline Josephs Prairie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • See you on the ice!
Hello fellow BCer's
« on: Oct 12, 2003, 12:38 PM »
Hi,
Just thought I would introduce myself. I am from Cranbrook, B.C. it is in the Southeast corner of BC called the East Kootenay's. I heard about this site from a couple guys talking on the web site I moderate called Catcherman.com. It too is a fishing web site, where I moderate the Ice Fishing forum. I thought I would check this Ice Shanty out because I am an avid hard water fisherman. I fish for just about every fish we have in the East Kootenay's like, the many species of Trout, Bass, Perch, Ling (Burbot), Kokanee, and Char (Dollies).
I probably spend more time on the ice than I do in my boat. I find it is more social out ice fishing and enjoy meeting and talking with others on the ice, maybe having a hot toddy or beer or two with them makes it more fun.

See you on the ice!
NAFC Life Member
Catcherman.com Staff
B&D Custom Lures Pro Staff

Offline BJ

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAAAAGGGGG!!!
Re:Hello fellow BCer's
« Reply #1 on: Oct 12, 2003, 08:06 PM »
Joe, welcome to the club.This is a great place to meet folks that love icefishing.Hope you have  a great season this year.And hope to hear from you during the season with some fish stories.Good luck and welcome.

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 13, 2003, 01:31 PM »
Welcome to a great side and a great bunch of guys and girls.  This site will really be jumping in a month or so.  ;D
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2003, 07:46 PM »
Heh Josephs Prairie. Nice to see a fellow BCer on this site. Not many of us out there. Maybe for river fishing but sad that we have some of the best fishing in the world and you mention icefishing around here, people think you are a bit nuts. I'm from Cluculz lake west of Prince George about 45 minutes. Was on the ice last week. Are you on any high altitute lakes yet? Anyway welcome.   :)

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 09, 2003, 07:11 AM »
welcome from the Wisconsin chapter of the goatboy's. I know you will learn to love this site as the season progresses. the info that can be had here is unlimited.Enjoy and again, welcome.
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline Josephs Prairie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • See you on the ice!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2003, 01:35 AM »
Hi Terrygonefishing,
We have many lakes frozen already, and not just the high ones. All the small lakes can be fished and it will probably be the middle of December before I can fish the big ones. We had a bit of snow but it rained and warmed up one day and it was gone. But it is cold again so the ice should be in good shape if I ever get some time to get out.

See you on the ice!
NAFC Life Member
Catcherman.com Staff

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2003, 02:01 PM »
Hi Josephs
Got out this year on Oct 22. Earliest ever I have been on ice. Now local lakes around here are all iced except some of the big ones.
Stay safe

Ice Gido

« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2003, 11:55 PM »
Hi Josephs Prairie. I'm new to the forum scene and was just checking out your message.  I'm located in the opposite corner of the Province, Terrace, and I thoroughly enjoy my hardwater fishing.  My first day on the ice this year was Nov. 9th (earliest ever).  The small lakes had 2.5 inches of ice and the fishing was incredible.

My buddy and I usually try to make one "extended" (out of our normal 2 hour travel limit) ice fishing trip each year.  This year we are entertaining the idea of targeting Burbot for the first time.  In your posting, you mentioned that you fish for Burbot. Could you help me out and share some of your wisdom on Burbot? I don't know a thing about Burbot fishing, so I'm looking for the what, where, when, why & how.

Always fishing, IG.

BCSmits

« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2003, 08:20 PM »
Hello to all BC fishermen, and to Joseph's Prairie in particular, who inspired me to write to my first forum of any kind, for the most part because he's close to home.  I'm from close to Invermere which is also in the East Kootenays, and I'm looking forward to finding out how informative this site can be, I can certainly see the potential!  I'm new to forums, but not new to fishing.  This year's first expedition on ice was Dec. 03, nicest fish of the day was a beauty 17" rainbow.  Looking forward to next time.

bigtroutman

« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2003, 08:11 PM »
hey i am in williams lake and just came here for shack tips but this looks like a pretty cool place to stop,shoot the crap,and have a cold one as well.If u or anyone has any portable shack plans that r light and easy to set up i would appreciate the tips.I like to hit many lakes in a day if that's what it takes to catch supper.Thanks to any tips

racerb

« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2003, 09:14 PM »
Hey All,
I am new to this site and just thought I would stop in..I am just getting into fishing and today I went ice fishing for the first time..not so much luck though..I will start to check in here more and maybe get some tips from you guy's..

Offline Josephs Prairie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • See you on the ice!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 25, 2003, 04:40 PM »
"Hi" to all those who replied. I am glad that there are so many from around BC here. So I am talking local fish with local people. Especially "BCSmits", since he is so close to me. I hope you use the site more often. Nice Bow by the way. Last year I caught a 24" rainbow out of Grundy Lake at the start of the ice season, fought him for 20 minutes before I could get him on the ice.
To Ice Gido, I use a large treble hook with a piece of raw squid for bait on 12# line set on or near bottom with a large weight. The Ling are usually close to the bottom and will even pick your bait of the lake bottom because they are like biottom feeders. Night time is usually the best time to fish for them in the winter, Fish near narrows, creek/river inlets, under water channels or near shallows. Ling won't bite like trout they will suck in there food and swim away with it, so watch your rod because they will drag in in on you if you are not watching. Watch for your line to be on an angle through the hole in the ice and set the hook but make sure the ling has it well enough to hook him. We also fish for them on the rivers here were they will search them for food but it can be un-safe when ice covered at night.
Let me know if you have more questions, as I am in a hurry to do this post. Merry Christmas Everyone!
NAFC Life Member
Catcherman.com Staff

MAG

« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2004, 04:39 PM »
YA BABY CRANBROOK RULES , SPENT MANY DAYS FIGHTING FIRES THERE IN THE 90'S . I'M FROM FT ST JOHN AREA AND CHETWYND. DOLLIES ON THE WAC DAM AND WALLEYE ON CHARLIE LAKE .  FOUND ONE OF THOSE HOT SHOT HAND WARMERS IN A DOLLY COUPLE YEARS BACK, HEART BURN CITY!!

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 01, 2004, 07:49 PM »
Welcome aboard MAG. I spent many a day planting trees in your neck of the woods. Wonowon, Halfway river, Sukunka, Hassler flats, Moberly lake etc. Always wanted to come up your way to go on ice. Welcome. ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.