Author Topic: Portable ice shack heaters  (Read 6660 times)

Offline setterman

• IceShanty Rookie
Portable ice shack heaters
« on: Jan 23, 2009, 08:20 PM »
 I have a clam Yukon portable and was wondering what type of heaters people have had success with in this type of setup ? I was thinking of buying a Mr. Buddy type and they make several sizes and was  not sure which would be best.

timberdoodle

Re: Portable ice shack heaters
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2009, 08:25 PM »
I have two portables and two hardsides and I use a Buddy heater in all of them and I like it, It does have a few quirks, like most things but all in all it is a great unit.

Offline setterman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2009, 08:32 PM »
Do you have  the larger style that takes the adapter hose and larger cylinder ?  I was thinking I should go that way rather than getting the 1 pound throwaways.

timberdoodle

« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2009, 09:00 PM »
I have the smaller one. Sometimes I wish I had the bigger one until I have to lug in in my jet sled aways, then I am glad for the smaller one. You can get an adapter hose for either model I believe.

Offline vtpoolman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2009, 09:03 PM »
i use a big buddy heater with the quick disconect to a 20lb tank. heats the yukon great. usually leave it on low.

Offline newfound

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2009, 09:33 PM »
i use a big buddy heater with the quick disconect to a 20lb tank. heats the yukon great. usually leave it on low.

I second this...  Used in both the portable and hardside.  Always on low.

Offline Rainbow1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2009, 04:54 AM »
You may also consider a 6 lb. refillable.  Mine fits in a milk crate with the heater.

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2009, 05:22 AM »
I have a yukon too. The mr buddy works great. I have only had the heat on twice for the kids.
MAY YOUR FLAGS FLY HIGH & YOUR LINES BE TIGHT.

Offline donmac

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lakes Region, NH
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2009, 06:06 AM »
Northern Tool has the Mr. Buddy on sale for $69 at the moment.  I've used a the wireframe cooker/heaters for years, but couldn't locate mine the year so I ordered a Mr. Buddy.

Offline thompson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2009, 06:19 AM »
i have a 20lb on the back of my sled or the 4wheeler and run the hose down the tow bar into my frabill trekker2

Offline S.H. Militia

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2009, 08:50 AM »
I like the one from cabelas that is an infra-red heater but it also can be flipped up to use as a single burner cook top. Its safe inside w/vents and you can cook you eggs and bacon, boil up some coffea and keep yourself nice and toasty. 1 drawback is only one setting on or off.

Offline WhackMaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2009, 02:12 PM »
probably a dumb question, but is it bad to use a coleman stove as a heat source? i've cooked inside with mine a few times, but once in a while i'll leave it on a little longer for the heat.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2009, 08:55 PM »
Anyone try a ventless blue flame wall heater? I see them in Northern Tools and was considering going to them for my next house. Dont take up much floor space and is ventless. Heats the air instead of objects like an IR heater. Mr. Heater makes one too. For hard sided houses of course.

JIGGIN.

Offline Salmon Seeker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish To Live Live to Fish
« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2009, 09:05 PM »
 I have used my coleman stove a million times inside my portable  as long as you have plenty of outside air your fine just watch the heat on the fabric   if you got plastic sides like mine  heat and plastic doesn't mix to well 
JIBBS DRILL SOME HOLES

Offline linebreaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2009, 04:12 AM »
I have a coleman screw on bottle type heater that I put in my canvas hut on the floor. never have to worry about getting cold in there. Once it warms up you put it down a bit and it will last all day 

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2009, 05:06 AM »
probably a dumb question, but is it bad to use a coleman stove as a heat source? i've cooked inside with mine a few times, but once in a while i'll leave it on a little longer for the heat.
We used a coleman YEARS ago (20) for our heat source in a reg. bobhouse.  Now we use good ole woodstove.  The coleman works good as long as you have adequate ventilation.

Offline olrustyboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • sorry to leave
« Reply #16 on: Jan 25, 2009, 08:56 AM »
I have a Frabill commando 1 person shelter so space is a issue. I use a coleman
BlackCat heater.It's only 1100 btu but runs 14 hours on a 1lb tank. It takes awhile
to warm-up but in a small space it works pretty good and is portable

Offline baboosicfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 25, 2009, 02:51 PM »
i use a little buddy portable heater for my clam 6800 and my hardside. I have a T coming off the 20lb tank so i can run my stove and the heater at the same time and it works great!  I am pretty sure it also has a low oxygen shutoff as well as if it is bumped it will also turnoff.  I have been using it for years now with no problems.
Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God

Offline jackinthebobhouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 25, 2009, 05:59 PM »
I have a Mr. Buddy type of heater in a 4 x8 bob house. If I keep it on the floor, it heats extremely well. Last Friday when it was -9, inside it was 60. Seems to work better on the floor than on the shelf I have. Only problem I had was that the 1 pound bottles would last about 4 hours. I have since switched to the 20lb tank to save $$ too.

Offline setterman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 25, 2009, 08:21 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys.  I have a few ideas at this point I think the Mr. Buddy will do what I need. I really only need something for a quick warm up for me and mainly if I get the kids out there I want a place for them to stay warm if they get cold . I generally don't take the little ones unless the weather is favorable but with limited opportunities I have to make the most of things as they are and having a heat source will greatly increase my kids comfort and allow us all a little more ice time.

Offline rockhound57

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 25, 2009, 09:33 PM »
I like the one from cabelas that is an infra-red heater but it also can be flipped up to use as a single burner cook top. Its safe inside w/vents and you can cook you eggs and bacon, boil up some coffea and keep yourself nice and toasty. 1 drawback is only one setting on or off.

I have one similar, but it has L,M,H and works great      see:    http://www.mrheater.com/productdetails_extended.asp?catid=42&id=22

Anyone try a ventless blue flame wall heater? I see them in Northern Tools and was considering going to them for my next house. Dont take up much floor space and is ventless. Heats the air instead of objects like an IR heater. Mr. Heater makes one too. For hard sided houses of course.

JIGGIN.

having seen both cook stoves and radiant heaters in action, my preferrance is definitely the radiant type: it sends much more of it's heat down to the floor instead of heating up the ceiling. The same companies make both types, for similar money. ;)
see:   http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200332737_200332737
      live free or die in NH, fish western ME

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.