Author Topic: Frabill Recruit 1250 - Gasket?  (Read 1599 times)

Offline Comacozy

• IceShanty Rookie
Frabill Recruit 1250 - Gasket?
« on: Mar 29, 2021, 12:31 PM »
Hello,

I had purchased a frabill recruit 1250 insulated in january of 2020 and loved it ever since for ice fishing as its great to hold all my gear when pulling behind my snowmobile. This past winter I was working in ontario canada and the weeklong cold snap they had was cold enough to cause plenty of problems for everyone, but for me specifically it froze the rubber gasket thing that goes around the bottom of the tub that seals the cover/fabric to the tub.

Frabill calls this their 'Shelter storm guard". I cant find my manual for it but on the manual (page 4) for the commando it states it (https://www.manualslib.com/manual/759686/Frabill-Commando-6115.html?page=4#manual). I've contacted frabill now a few times via email and have yet to get a response but even after some heavy googling, I think the only response they'll give me is that they dont sell it/does not exist. Does anyone know of any possible alternatives I use accomodate to make work? It's kind of a weird system but at the end day, without it, the wind would blow inside and ruin the whole experience!

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Frabill Recruit 1250 - Gasket?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29, 2021, 02:11 PM »
Are you talking about the trim piece? Trim-Lok is the name branded stuff, you can find it called trim edge usually sold by the foot. It will be spec'd out by the material thickness, without measuring I don't know how thick sleds are, would think 1/16" to 1/8" would work.

Not saying this is what you need on your sled, but something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Edge-Trim-Black-Small-Fits/dp/B07BPCB8WH/ref=asc_df_B07BPCB8WH/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=283244379562&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3243877466955488482&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9018697&hvtargid=pla-442084706391&psc=1

What happened to yours, you said it froze, did it crack? Of all the things I've heard go wrong, break, or wear out, that trim piece has not been one of them.

Offline Comacozy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 29, 2021, 02:36 PM »
That's the exact piece that im looking for! Thanks!

And it was about -45c and I had a day off, the only in a long while so I had to take the tent and the ski doo out..

Since the instructions that came with the original manual didnt entirely state how to install said trim, i figured you draped the edge of the fabric past the tub and put the trim there to hold it in place (I see on other forums that there was actually screws or something that i never had that you use to fasten everything together, right through the fabric & trim to the tub). Since tub collects snow as im driving the snowmobile, the weight of the snow gathering must of pulled the cover up/loose which grabbed the excess fabric which just pulled the trim off. I can only assume since it was cold enough it cracked, where it usually would flex in such a situation

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 29, 2021, 03:06 PM »
Ahh, that makes sense. Yes, there are self drilling screws meant to hold the trim piece in place. It's worth your time looking into the manual or even a youtube video before installing, too loose and your material will flap around in the wind, too tight and your bar won't sit on the ice when flipped.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #4 on: Mar 29, 2021, 10:29 PM »
X2 on screwing it down about every 10-12in and adjusting it correctly. Trim off extreme excess fabric but leave enough to pull tight if it gets loose over time
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Mar 30, 2021, 08:59 AM »
Are you talking about the trim piece? Trim-Lok is the name branded stuff, you can find it called trim edge usually sold by the foot. It will be spec'd out by the material thickness, without measuring I don't know how thick sleds are, would think 1/16" to 1/8" would work.

Not saying this is what you need on your sled, but something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Edge-Trim-Black-Small-Fits/dp/B07BPCB8WH/ref=asc_df_B07BPCB8WH/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=283244379562&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3243877466955488482&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9018697&hvtargid=pla-442084706391&psc=1

What happened to yours, you said it froze, did it crack? Of all the things I've heard go wrong, break, or wear out, that trim piece has not been one of them.

Well I learned something today ..this looks to be handy stuff ..may be useful in numerous DIY projects .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline JOBBER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 30, 2021, 10:46 AM »
The below is from an old Bay Runner manual.
it should give you an idea how to proceed with yours.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Mar 30, 2021, 11:05 AM »
Although it is for the ICE HUNTER™ 115 the instructions are pretty much the same

https://smhttp-ssl-47954.nexcesscdn.net/media/wysiwyg/frabill/pdf/FRBSH115-Ice-Hunter-115-Manual.pdf

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Online cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 31, 2021, 10:12 AM »
Another trick when setting the cloth is to heat/warm up the rubber trim piece.  Some guys set it in a bucket of warm water or use a heat gun.  When running on the straight side its pretty easy to get installed, but when you arrive at the corners, this gets a little tough.  Having it heated up helps to turn the corner.

As mentioned, you want to make sure you have enough fabric pulled at the back to still allow the front to side down in the front.  Seen too many guys complain that their front side is riding up now when they finish. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.