Author Topic: Big Swartswood walleye  (Read 5889 times)

Offline Pgl083

• IceShanty Rookie
Big Swartswood walleye
« on: Feb 07, 2015, 03:43 PM »
I was thinking of fishing near the island tomorrow to target walleye. I'm wondering what depth they hold this time of the year. I've never fished for them through the ice....Thanks

Offline j_sels

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Big Swartswood walleye
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2015, 05:03 PM »
dont do it they don't bite through the ice up there .  seriously. 

Offline Evil Tom

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Jesus walked on water...once I do it every year
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2015, 09:13 PM »
1 You need a flasher.2 You have to fish before sunrise or after sunset.3 Dead shiners cut into (strips) with a yellow jig head have worked there for meLots of luck to you you'll need it.Not an easy fish to catch in swartswwod let alone thru the ice.

Offline wallguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2015, 06:38 PM »
This is a very difficult question. I would say that if you look at the lake as most fishermen you would be fishing on one of the places that you see the guys fishing every time you are out : state park, or by dove island or one of the other popular drop offs..... Many people or most, fish anywhere from 4 to 25 FOW hundreds of tip ups and no walleye!? Is it a daytime thing? Go deeper? Color? Baromiter ? Feeding or not? What I am saying is a combination of it all. I have iced eyes in the daytime there and at night. It is just being there at the right time. The walleye in winter: deep. Not saying you will get one but not many people have. Strange thing is I love the challenge. I am still looking for my secret go to lure. I look at this kind of stuff different than most people in the way that I only am looking for one hit or bite. Yea I am nuts but It is only time until I figure out somthing to put them dry side more often. I have have once walked off the ice with my limit, full moon and all on tip ups. Go figure and good luck.

Offline cchick27

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2015, 02:49 PM »
This is a very difficult question. I would say that if you look at the lake as most fishermen you would be fishing on one of the places that you see the guys fishing every time you are out : state park, or by dove island or one of the other popular drop offs..... Many people or most, fish anywhere from 4 to 25 FOW hundreds of tip ups and no walleye!? Is it a daytime thing? Go deeper? Color? Baromiter ? Feeding or not? What I am saying is a combination of it all. I have iced eyes in the daytime there and at night. It is just being there at the right time. The walleye in winter: deep. Not saying you will get one but not many people have. Strange thing is I love the challenge. I am still looking for my secret go to lure. I look at this kind of stuff different than most people in the way that I only am looking for one hit or bite. Yea I am nuts but It is only time until I figure out somthing to put them dry side more often. I have have once walked off the ice with my limit, full moon and all on tip ups. Go figure and good luck.

I like a challenge as well I think next time I'm home from school I'm going to have to target those eyes. I just got a flasher last year and I've been waiting to put it to the real test. Having not fished that lake much do you have any suggestions of what to use in terms of baits? I naturally lean toward the jigging rap and spoons. Are there any other ideas that might work?
Chris

Offline wallguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2015, 11:07 PM »
I prefer the shad size rap. I like the profile and it isn't too big. Tip it with shiner head, mousies, fathead, I have even used dead frozen herring. It is just finding them. You have a lot of territory to cover,  travel lite. I use tip ups too to cover area and depths. With them cover the water colum. 1 to 10 feet off bottom. I would say they might be in with perch feeding on them as they are getting ready to spawn soon. I like deep at day and points and drops at night.

Offline Bukshot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2015, 04:25 AM »
Wallguy - That's some good info. right there.  I have tried to catch them also, to no avail.  Other places as well.  Went to Wallenpaupak and tried there also with no luck, but didn't try at night.  Gonna have to do that.  Good luck.

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2015, 11:54 AM »
no luck for me either at Swatrswood...that place is tough  :'(

Offline jimmythegreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2015, 12:42 PM »
the problem with the eyes there is they are really keyed into the herring.  I had them come into my jigs/baits many times and they didnt even swipe at the bait, I also have a marcum camera and visually see them so I kno they are eyes.  you want to target deeper water20-25+ during the day and points and drops are good day and night.  They are very hard to catch there thru the ice, Id bet money if I had access to live herring I would be much more successful, but its impossible to get them.  The best bet for eyes in NJ is the deleware but thats tough too and I dont recommend anyone even try it unless you are with someone who ice fishes the river alot and knows it well

Offline Jig4M

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2015, 12:55 PM »
I've only icefished it a handful of times and never targeted walleyes through the ice. I've also heard that if you want to get them on live bait you need to use herring. Both through the ice and in open water.
:icefish:

Offline j_sels

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 12, 2015, 03:05 PM »
never ice fished it. 
open water i go to where the major drop offs meet the lakebed. 
jig directly on that crease up and down the drop off.
literally directly on theat crease- through your hole you should have more slack in your line when on the deeper side vs the slope drop off shallower side of your hole. 

use your navionics iphone app or previous knowledge to fish directly over these edges.
damiki vortex in silver halo represents a fleeing herring really well.  franks tackle has em.
jig that baby up n down, bottom to  18 inches off bottom, back down. 

You know they are there, the state got over 500 in 3 days ! Just knowing that can drive you crazy.

Offline Moose3888

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2015, 03:18 PM »
never ice fished it. 
open water i go to where the major drop offs meet the lakebed. 
jig directly on that crease up and down the drop off.
literally directly on theat crease- through your hole you should have more slack in your line when on the deeper side vs the slope drop off shallower side of your hole. 

use your navionics iphone app or previous knowledge to fish directly over these edges.
damiki vortex in silver halo represents a fleeing herring really well.  franks tackle has em.
jig that baby up n down, bottom to  18 inches off bottom, back down. 

You know they are there, the state got over 500 in 3 days ! Just knowing that can drive you crazy.

How much is the Navionics app? How is it?

Offline wallguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2015, 05:46 PM »
If it helps. Try looking at nj fish and wildlife web page I am sure that there is a depth chart of the lake. Of course not as detailed as  you would like but will put you in the right area. If you have a flasher watch the bottom, if your on mud or rock. 

Offline loustru

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 12, 2015, 05:51 PM »
Navionics lake map app is $10 and worth it. It has many lakes in inventory, NJ,NY,PA, CT.

Offline wallguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2015, 05:18 AM »
I was thinking a little last night and wanted to add that you should always walk your path in the daylight before going out at night. I also most of the time have a buddy of mine with me. Know that it is  easy to break a leg in a hole that was cut Earlier. Bring an extra light too I had my batteries die out one night and it was a slow walk at best. Good luck.

Offline oldman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2015, 08:52 PM »
Years ago we caught them through the ice in 12' in the middle of the day.  Same year I jigged a couple from 30'+.  However, none of them were larger than19".  I hate to say it but I fish the lake a lot and almost never target them in the winter.  I'd much rather fish in warm weather when the chances are far greater of finding them.
"Izaak believed that fish could hear; if they can, then their vocabulary must be full of strange oaths, for all anglers are not patient men." --Izaak Walton, The Compleat Angler

Offline wallguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 15, 2015, 03:05 AM »
Going out today. My wife says I am insain but I am a die hard. And just want to see If I can get one,only hope that I can keep heat in the clam. Good luck as always.

Offline LoneWolf

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #17 on: Feb 15, 2015, 09:00 AM »
If it helps. Try looking at nj fish and wildlife web page I am sure that there is a depth chart of the lake. Of course not as detailed as  you would like but will put you in the right area. If you have a flasher watch the bottom, if your on mud or rock.

At the top of the page go to NJ News and Info. I've had the lake maps link there for several years.
As for catching the walleye in Swartswood I'm hoping to give it a shot before the season ends. I've caught walleye in Monksville and Tupper Lake, NY using the old style airplane jig tipped with a minnow.  ;)
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline cchick27

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 16, 2015, 01:50 PM »
I prefer the shad size rap. I like the profile and it isn't too big. Tip it with shiner head, mousies, fathead, I have even used dead frozen herring. It is just finding them. You have a lot of territory to cover,  travel lite. I use tip ups too to cover area and depths. With them cover the water colum. 1 to 10 feet off bottom. I would say they might be in with perch feeding on them as they are getting ready to spawn soon. I like deep at day and points and drops at night.

Thank you sir! That is some really helpful info you'll be the first to hear it if I can find those eyes. My spring break is in March so I'll probably migrate toward areas I know they go to spawn. I'm somewhat familiar with that lake just havent fished it much so ill try where it looks good. Thanks again and tight lines.
Chris

Offline wallguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 17, 2015, 07:15 AM »
I would like to add a few things to this post. For those of you that havnt fish at night with a flasher it is very different in that there is bait and zoo plankton along with bug life that is in the bottom four or so feet. I know it sounds crazy but it happens not so much over rocks or hard bottom but on a soft sub straight. You can still use your flasher but dial back the gain, so your jig is one line. It will clear up some of the "fog". Second is as the season gets almost to a close these fish get very active yes easy to find one that wants to chew. I would like to wish all good luck and share there tips also I am still learning myself.  Thanks guys

Offline acaravaglia

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love those trout.
« Reply #20 on: Feb 19, 2015, 11:17 AM »
Only caught them here in spring. Herring or repallas in shallow

Offline wallguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 26, 2015, 04:33 AM »
Did some night fishing and it was productive. There wasn't any monsters but couple of eyes to fill the dinner plate. Time is almost up on keeping them but I think I have learned a little more this ice season on how to get them on thedry side of ice. Good luck guys.

Offline IceKing4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • How Ya' Hittin' 'Em Fishing Club
« Reply #22 on: Feb 28, 2015, 07:29 AM »
It never happened if there are no pictures!

Offline wallguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 28, 2015, 01:58 PM »
It never happened if there are no pictures!
if all you fish is weeds you probably won't see any eyes. Just keep trying. Thanks

Offline j_berg72

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 05, 2018, 11:37 AM »
This thread is a bit old but heres what i know. The walleye are tough to get through the ice anywhere in nj. I have gotten a few nice ones last time i ice fished swartswood in 2015. They will school up on deep rocky flats during the day then move up the dropoffs during low light. They are by no means easy to catch. I had put in 2 years of studying the lake before catching those few. Like j_ sels said get a flasher. Punch a ton of holes according to the maps contour where it shows dropoffs and ledges. For day time find where the rocky flats are. Drop a camera down to eliminatr dead water as well. When you find the deep rocky areas you will find the walleye. Good luck!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.