The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: SE Pa ... are the lakes ready ?  (Read 1367 times)

Offline LEN F

• Team IceShanty Regular
SE Pa ... are the lakes ready ?
« on: Jan 13, 2024, 06:34 AM »
Every year I take a tour of some of the local lakes here in SE Pa. My main objective is to take water temperatures in order to help determine if the lakes are close to freezing. There is some cold weather predicted for the next week or so and I figured it was time to check on things. I traveled to four locations to see what condition the lakes were in. Here are the results in a nutshell.

HOPEWELL LAKE ... 38 degrees
SCOTTS RUN LAKE ... 38 degrees
STRUBLE LAKE ... 42 degrees
MARSH CREEK ... 40 degrees

For even more detail you can see a full report on my YouTube channel here:
https://youtu.be/WHeV-RwX4Ms

Stay safe and tight lines everyone!
I have the burning desire to go fishing although I know, that if I never catch another fish, that I have caught enough fish!

Offline ajv5148

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Treehouse
Re: SE Pa ... are the lakes ready ?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2024, 11:23 AM »
Heavy breathing intensifies

Offline LEN F

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2024, 10:32 AM »
Update: Today, Jan 17, 2024
Rangers Cove: Very thin ice cover in the back end
Carpenters Cove: Didn't check that because I didn't want to walk back up "HEART ATTACK" hill.
Main Cove: Ice cover from the bridge on Little Conestoga Road all the way to the big rock!

I know there is some warmer weather predicted next week and snow is coming on Friday but hey,
the lake is getting ready for the next cold snap.

As a side comment: I will also bet that there will be some crazy folks out on Lake Ontralaunee late this week

Be safe and remember no fish is worth a dunk in ice water!
I have the burning desire to go fishing although I know, that if I never catch another fish, that I have caught enough fish!

Offline Cbass123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2024, 12:20 PM »
Len, your updates are great, and much appreciated.  Thank you.

Offline LEN F

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2024, 02:28 PM »
Went for a ride today and checked a few local lakes.
Here is the update in a nutshell...

Marsh Creek Lake:
Main Lake... Some thin ice here and there along the shore line
Rangers Cove... Thin ice up to the point of the Main Lake but a few open water spots can be seen
Carpenters Cove... Thin ice cover from back end to about halfway up
Main Cove... Slush ice at the Little Conestoga bridge then thin clear ice up to the big rock but a few open water spots can be seen.

Struble Lake:
Looks like the entire lake has a thin layer of ice

Hopewell Lake:
White ice out to the islands then it looks like a layer of clear ice covers most of the lake after the islands

If you want more details, you can check my YouTube report on this link:
https://youtu.be/VPnRbLklUvM?si=ePVfmhBQinsUAF7r

The snow that is coming could be a factor in future ice development but perhaps the wind on
Saturday will clear it off. Next week will bring warmer temps and the lakes may have to start
all over again.

I see reports that indicate there are a few lakes up in the Poconos that have good ice.
Good luck if you travel north!

Offline rls255

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2024, 08:33 PM »
Thanks for the report Len, was wondering if carpenters cove had any ice. Like you mentioned, while we may miss out on this cold snap, hopefully another one follows this warm up and we get some fishable ice this year in SE PA.

Offline tentwiststhick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2024, 05:18 PM »
Len,
 I appreciate your efforts. I'm heading out tomorrow and I'm not sure any of the lakes you previewed on your YouTube channel will be ready for prime time yet. I have to drive as far as Kurtz's just to get bait the times they have changed in my neck of the wood, unbelievable but I need to have some minnows just in case. The wind will be hawking tomorrow and Sunday too Monday not much better. My best shot may be a couple of small lakes in closer by Gloucester and Salem Co, New Jersey come Monday and Tuesday if the forecast pans out in those areas or anywhere in SEPA too. Well tight lines to you, hope you can get out. :tipup: :tipup:
ttt

Offline deadcold

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2024, 04:46 PM »
Hello everyone,  I think we may have to face it that it's not gonna happen down in the S.E. corner of the state again this year.  If this cold snap didn't do it,
It's only getting warmer from here. Hell, even the Poconos were struggling to make safe ice. I did see some reports of guys fishing on Toby and possibly the Chunk. If they are fishing there,  then Bradys is probably good too if you want to take the long and winding road in. Stay safe,  stay dry,  and tight lines.  DC

Offline deadcold

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2024, 05:16 PM »
Just got done reading that someone went through at Ontelaunee today.  They are currently in a search and rescue. My thoughts and prayers go out.  Hoping for some good news and a safe return home for whoever it is.

Offline Zjb103

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2024, 05:48 PM »
Thanks for the updates Len, I was hoping we would have some safe ice in berks county by Tuesday but its looking unlikely.  Do you think smaller farm ponds in the area might have enough ice by Tuesday?

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2024, 06:21 PM »
Just got done reading that someone went through at Ontelaunee today.  They are currently in a search and rescue. My thoughts and prayers go out.  Hoping for some good news and a safe return home for whoever it is.
A guy went thru at Antietam today too. He fell in where it was open water earlier in the week.

Offline ajv5148

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Treehouse
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2024, 08:13 PM »
Did a tour today and checked a few lakes. Coatsville res was trash. all white crappy ice. next was struble. met tentwiststhick had a nice chat. only about 2.5" there. not sire if it'll build in time. then checked hopewell and scotts run. was breaking through hopewell with one strike of the spud while some ice skaters cleared a patch... pretty sketchy. scotts had about 4 guys on but it was 2" clear and 2 inches of crap. stopped by antietam and talked to fish and boat and ranger. heard about the guy that went in this morning. you could see where him and buddies were walking around on safe ice then a single set of tracks out further. he found the channel that feeds in. checked ice where guys were fishing back in the cove and a solid 3" they had life jackets and a throw rope just in case. i plan to check that out in the AM

Offline LEN F

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2024, 05:33 AM »
Did a tour today and checked a few lakes. Coatsville res was trash. all white crappy ice. next was struble. met tentwiststhick had a nice chat. only about 2.5" there. not sire if it'll build in time. then checked hopewell and scotts run. was breaking through hopewell with one strike of the spud while some ice skaters cleared a patch... pretty sketchy. scotts had about 4 guys on but it was 2" clear and 2 inches of crap. stopped by antietam and talked to fish and boat and ranger. heard about the guy that went in this morning. you could see where him and buddies were walking around on safe ice then a single set of tracks out further. he found the channel that feeds in. checked ice where guys were fishing back in the cove and a solid 3" they had life jackets and a throw rope just in case. i plan to check that out in the AM
Thanks for taking time to check those lakes.

Offline LEN F

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2024, 10:23 AM »
Took a look at Hopewell this morning. No one out on the ice. There is a small, cleared area just off the ramp that was probably used for ice skating. Looks the lake is capped but I did not walk out on the ice. I would say it's a "No Go".

Offline Zjb103

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2024, 03:18 PM »
Hey Len, stopped by lake towhee around 3:30 this afternoon.  Several groups were out on the ice fishing.  At least two areas were cleared for ice skating.  The ice conditions were variable.  Anywhere from 4" to as little as 2.5".  The lake is completely capped off.  The safest areas of the lake have about 2" of clear ice with about 2" of white ice on top.  The white ice was fairly hard and not too bad.  Most of the snow has blown off the lake, only about 1" remains.

Offline ajv5148

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Treehouse
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2024, 05:31 AM »
Took a look at Hopewell this morning. No one out on the ice. There is a small, cleared area just off the ramp that was probably used for ice skating. Looks the lake is capped but I did not walk out on the ice. I would say it's a "No Go".
I saw the family clearing that section to skate on Saturday. They had to walk through slop to get on. Didn't look safe. I broke through with one whack 100 yards away

Offline ajv5148

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Treehouse
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2024, 05:32 AM »
A guy went thru at Antietam today too. He fell in where it was open water earlier in the week.
Yeah capt I was talking to the ranger and wco about that Saturday. You could see where he was fishing a while, then ventured too far and found the channel. He got out safely

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.