The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: looking to buy - Ice Shanty  (Read 1387 times)

Offline GreenFinnyBlinny

• Team IceShanty Regular
looking to buy - Ice Shanty
« on: Oct 03, 2018, 12:14 PM »
I am looking to buy an ice shanty big enough to put a cot in.

I spend about 5 days camping during hunting season and figured an ice shanty might be warmer and more weather resistant then a tent and get me out of sleeping in the back of my truck.

Offline Finnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: looking to buy - Ice Shanty
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2018, 02:04 PM »
I bought the eskimo 949i just for the same reason it works for one dude and a 80in cot and small folding table and heater. But when it rains hard the tent leaks at the stitching seams put a 10 x10 tarp over it and you are dry.

Offline GreenFinnyBlinny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 04, 2018, 09:12 AM »
Thanks Finnt, I might just do that.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 04, 2018, 09:34 AM »
We camp in our QF6 about once each year, but only on the ice.

Might find some other shelter/cot combos in this thread:

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=325954.0

If there are two of you, go for the bunk bed cots.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #4 on: Oct 04, 2018, 10:46 AM »
a floor is great to stay drier and warmer with less condensation. i'd use my shappell dx3000 but if i needed more room i'd get the shappell dx4000. i have two huge hub shelters, but would go for the cabin shelter instead for sleep. make a smitty sled if you go with a cabin shelter.

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 11, 2018, 09:03 PM »
I purchased a Eskimo QuickFish 5i last year . It would handle 2 cots , table , chairs and a heater . I have heard that if there is a chance of rain , that topping the shelters with a waterproof tarp works best . Also , with the removable windows , guys have had fiberglass welding mats made for running out a chimney and used a camp stove .

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 21, 2018, 07:14 AM »
Just another option , I bought a pair of zero gravity chairs for star gazing . They would make great recliner type beds and take up less room .

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Oct 29, 2018, 08:58 PM »
I have the Eskimo Fatfish 949i and like it a lot.  It's pretty warm even without a heater running, blocks the wind and light very well, and has replaceable windows in case you ever need to.   I haven't had any problems or issues with it and would definitely buy it again.  The only things I do different is I ratchet straps for tie downs because they don't come loose in the wind and I took the straps off an old life jacket and use them to cinch it tighter when I'm putting it back in the bag, since I started doing this there's a lot more room in the bag.  I think you'd like it and it'd work well for you.  As Finnt said if it's raining put a tarp over the top and you'll be water proof for sure.

Offline Rcott717

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Oct 30, 2018, 10:25 AM »
Anyone have an Otter 2 man?  Reviews and durability?

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 30, 2018, 10:38 AM »
NOTE: Eskimo shelter storage bags are tough to get the insulated shelter ( back in ) at the end of the day .

I took my bag to a seamstress and had her install a Zipper the whole length of the bags seam . I now place the bag over the shelter and zip it up as I compact it with  my body and cinch straps . Works perfectly !

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 30, 2018, 11:46 AM »
NOTE: Eskimo shelter storage bags are tough to get the insulated shelter ( back in ) at the end of the day .

I took my bag to a seamstress and had her install a Zipper the whole length of the bags seam . I now place the bag over the shelter and zip it up as I compact it with  my body and cinch straps . Works perfectly !

The zipper sounds handy.  However, I have never had difficulty getting my QF6 in the bag.  I am eager to try my usual methods with my new FF9416i.  I wonder if the insulated models are tougher...
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #11 on: Oct 30, 2018, 12:09 PM »
My QF3i has a nice sized bag and came with a compression strap to squeeze it down a bit. I had to get a larger bag for my QF4 which was a tussle to try to get in the bag at day's end.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 30, 2018, 02:27 PM »
For those that don't have the funds to pay for a seamstress , I originally was using a artificial Christmas Tree bag until the seamstress was done . The Christmas tree bag actually works really well .

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Oct 30, 2018, 06:49 PM »

That's why I use the straps from the life jacket to cinch it tighter, it made a big difference and gave lots of extra room in the bag.  Another option would be to use the ratchet straps or something similar to cinch it tighter.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.