Author Topic: "re: life saving device  (Read 2469 times)

Offline marmooska

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ><}}}}}(*>
"re: life saving device
« on: Dec 23, 2002, 07:37 AM »
"ice anglers sometimes put their lives at risk just to enjoy their sport, if you want to come back alive and enjoy another day , heres one good thing to have at all times when out icefishing"  HOW TO MAKE A SET OF ICE RESCUE CLAWS...........  you can purchase a set of commercially made ice rescue picks .   you can cut off a pair of old screw drivers and sharpen the ends .  you can sharpen 2- 6" spikes  and use as is. " you can make a set for a couple of dollars , in materials." 1) get two pieces of wooden doweling 1.5 inches in diameter and 4 or 5 inches in lenght . you can use other material but it should float in case you drop the claws while struggling.  2)    get two 4- inch spikes and drill a hole a little smaller than the spikes for in each dowel. drive a spike into the end of each dowel leaving about 1.5 inches sticking out. cut the head off the spikes and use a file to sharpen the nail heads to a point . drill a hole into the dowels ( in the end opposite the nail )- (horizontal into the dowel - so it comes out both sides .), and tie a lenght of parachute cord through the hole so a pick is on each end " jump- rope " fashion. you may also drill a hole in the ends alongside the nails so the nail on the other pick can nest in the hole , keeping both points covered . keep the picks in your pocket or around your neck for quick emergency access if you or a companion do break through. if you do break through, try to remain calm. turn in the water towards the direction you came from- that is probably the strongest ice. dig the points of the picks into the ice and while vigorously kicking your feet; pull yourself onto the surface by sliding forward on the ice .roll away from the area of weak ice. rolling on the ice will distribute your weight to help avoid breaking through again.            this would be a great project for you guys and galls who like to putter around in the garage and make stuff, and makes a great early x-mas gift for the stocking .       hope you have a safe one .                 jim---  bubba
                                                    central michigan
" known carrier of icefishing fever"
" i cant remember, what i forgot, to forget?"

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bluegills, That's how it all got started . . .
Re: "re: life saving device
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2004, 09:30 AM »
Plan ahead for the worst case . . .

I wonder how many people take a rope and picks out on the ice with them? I know I have been guilty of "forgetting" them at times.

If you combine the wood dowel idea from Marm and combine it with a longer rope or cord, now you have a potentially life saving gadget for someone else. The dowels will be light enough to float and heavy enough to act as a weight on a throw rope to someone who has fallen through.

-Reelcharacter
PM me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.