Author Topic: Contour lines on Helix 7  (Read 2754 times)

Offline DTube

• IceShanty Rookie
Contour lines on Helix 7
« on: Feb 11, 2020, 01:28 PM »
I am having an issue -- my New Helix 7 will not show the Contour lines at Chaumont- it shows depth numbers, but not the contours. Even when I zoom in. Anyone experience this or can help me with a setting I am missing or is it that I need a map? If I need a map which one would be good for Ontario and Erie -- from Buffalo to Chaumont on Ontario and Buffalo to Ohio on Erie. Thanks for any help! 
If you need a machine and don’t buy it, then you will ultimately find that you have paid for it and don’t have it. - Henry Ford

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Contour lines on Helix 7
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2020, 01:37 PM »
Go into the menu under 'Sonar' settings.  Make sure 'Depth Lines' is set to 'On'.  Then under Charts Page, I believe there are several other Depth settings:  colors, shallow water highlight, depth highlight and highlight range.  I believe those come into play too.  Do you have a Lake Map chip installed?

Offline DTube

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2020, 02:11 PM »
thank You for the response-- Vanhln --  I spent hours going through the menus -- I will look at it again tonight --  I do not have a map chip - just the basemap that came with the unit.
If you need a machine and don’t buy it, then you will ultimately find that you have paid for it and don’t have it. - Henry Ford

Offline Elkhnter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2020, 09:03 PM »
Dtube- You don't need a map chip! It has to be something in setting.. Here is a little trick- When you out on the ice again put the lower limit only 2 feet below what the depth of the bottom is.. If not its hard for the processer to figure out where the bottom is for a while.

So put upper limit to 2 feet down from the and the bottom limit 2 feet below what the bottom is.. So if the bottom shows 15 feet put lower limit to 17 feet and yes check to make sure Depth lines is marked on in the menu..
Marvin

Offline DTube

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2020, 07:10 AM »
Elkhunter- Thank You very much for the reply. I am, however talking about navigation, not sonar.

I was fooling with it this morning and found it shows contours of other lakes, so I assume I need a map to show Chaumont Bay. It shows Seneca Lake, but not Cayuga, Otsego, but not Canadarago, Lake Ontario - near Buffalo, but not the East end and not Lake Erie out of Buffalo -- there are soundings, but not the actual contour lines.  UGGGGHHHHH!

Trying to research map cards, fun wow, Humminbird Lakemaster does not show a coverage map, just a list of lakes. Brutal. You would think that when you buy a unit you could get the areas with a few hours of you or something like that!!

Anyway- any recommendations on Map chip for Chaumont -Lake O (Niagara River end) and Lake Erie - Buffalo end (likely 2 different maps).

Offline smitty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2020, 10:47 AM »

I went with Navonics hot maps platnium for my helix 5 covers lots of lakes and waterways I need here in the northeast.
You can go to there site and look to see if they cover your lakes and "Zone"
Also from what I hear is they are going on sale at Cabelas for $109.99 tomorrow (Thursday). I paid $140 for my MD/MDS card.

smitty :tipup:

Offline DTube

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2020, 08:26 AM »
Thanks Smitty -- I bought the Lakemaster East v2 because it was in stock. And voila -- contours!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.