The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Be prudent on ice  (Read 1423 times)

Offline 124countryboy

• IceShanty Rookie
Be prudent on ice
« on: Jan 20, 2017, 07:48 PM »
Two fisherman went through the ice last night around 7pm after calling it quits. One never made it home and the other one was treated for hypertherma. There was 13 inches of ice. Both were on a four wheeler. This happen on Brome lake in Quebec. Half hour north of Vermont border. Being its going to be a busy weekend because of this mild weather and trout season in affect. Be very prudent.

Offline flagfishon

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You should have seen it! It was huge!
Re: Be prudent on ice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2017, 09:58 PM »
Thanks for the report.  I won't be heading out this weekend.  I drove by Arrowhead today and the ice looked awful dark.  Stay Safe and be careful this weekend everyone!

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Above the Ice, under the influence
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2017, 06:11 AM »
Agreed. Everyone loves to fish but it's not worth your life. Anything can happen any time but no need to push the limits. With lots of warm weather and rain best to fish close to shore in shallower water and don't be so lazy and use your legs. More people sinking /dying every year because they have to drive their wheelers sleds and trucks on the ice
Good luck stay safe

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2017, 06:35 AM »
Took time off this week for ice fishing and will still be going fishing... but in the boat.
May the fish be with you.

Randy

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2017, 06:55 AM »
Went last night with a friend and noticed a change in drilling the ice from last weekend. Ice thickness and clarity was the same 9 in clear black, but when done cutting I noticed the walls of the holes were left with some roughness to them. I won't be going back out until we get a few consecutive days of below freezing temps.

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2017, 06:57 AM »
Easier to get the boat out than it is to climb out of the water and dry off.
May the fish be with you.

Randy

Offline 124countryboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2017, 07:36 PM »
Apparently a truck and trailer went through ice today on Carmi. I was out on Seymour and there's only 8 inches. Just ATV and snowmobiles on ice.

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2017, 05:25 AM »
Keeping your vehicles off the ice is a good idea in general. You never know where a thin spot may be. And people are less impressed by your doughnuts and rooster tails than you think anyways.

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2017, 07:08 AM »
Agreed. Everyone loves to fish but it's not worth your life. Anything can happen any time but no need to push the limits. With lots of warm weather and rain best to fish close to shore in shallower water and don't be so lazy and use your legs. More people sinking /dying every year because they have to drive their wheelers sleds and trucks on the ice
Good luck stay safe

True Story...
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.