The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Willoughby conditions  (Read 1690 times)

Offline 1Badboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Willoughby conditions
« on: Mar 06, 2012, 04:51 PM »
hows the ice , snoow slush conditions ?
anyone been catching any cusk ?
looking to go up this week for one last slimey hooray  ;D

Offline johndeere540

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Willoughby conditions
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2012, 07:47 PM »
Dont know if they are biting but I drove down to my buddies shack down the back shore from the north beach! Seemed to be alright driving with just a little slush here and there!

Offline 1Badboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2012, 07:02 AM »
thanks !

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2012, 07:57 PM »
I went out to the northern part of the lake on the weekend of the 25th. There was probably 15 or 16 inches on the west shore. There were a lot of trucks straight out from the public access area. Looks like plenty of ice on the south shore too, but driving along the lake I noticed there were some patches of open water in the middle. Don't wanna take your car out that way!

I fished for cusk on the south end in maybe 40 feet of water one night about a month ago for a few hours with crawlers on bottom. Had a lot of action but they were all small. Had better luck 3 weeks ago for them on the north end, near where mill brook comes in. Caught a few around 24".

Offline 1Badboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2012, 06:20 AM »
I went out to the northern part of the lake on the weekend of the 25th. There was probably 15 or 16 inches on the west shore. There were a lot of trucks straight out from the public access area. Looks like plenty of ice on the south shore too, but driving along the lake I noticed there were some patches of open water in the middle. Don't wanna take your car out that way!

I fished for cusk on the south end in maybe 40 feet of water one night about a month ago for a few hours with crawlers on bottom. Had a lot of action but they were all small. Had better luck 3 weeks ago for them on the north end, near where mill brook comes in. Caught a few around 24".

thanks for the info !
we caught some little ones last night and did OK about a month ago to the right the access

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Love IceFishing for SMELT,PERCH,BLUEGILLS,CRAPPIE,
« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2012, 09:28 AM »
i need to try and fish for cusk or ling some time in the future.. are they good eating? how are they to clean. i heard Willoughby has a good population of them. Thanks
I do all types of fishing; but I am Die hard Ice angler.
I love Ice Fishing the lakes of Rutland County. Recently moved to NY and now will be Ice fishing the Lakes Of New York.

Offline 1Badboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2012, 10:57 AM »
i like them just as good if not better than most other fish...not too difficult to clean , just peel em and fillet em

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 08, 2012, 12:03 PM »
Cusk make a great chowder. I find them to be a real pain to peel though. I get around this by gutting them and beheading, and then boiling for a while. Then you can just peel the skin off and throw the meat into a chowder. Really good!

Offline 1Badboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 08, 2012, 12:46 PM »
the skin peels easy if you do it right after you catch them  ;)

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 08, 2012, 04:42 PM »
Cubed and deep fried- yum yum.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 08, 2012, 07:13 PM »
Here's some more info from Lawrence Pine on fishing for cusk on Willougby:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor