Author Topic: Made-for-drill vs hand augers  (Read 5475 times)

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Made-for-drill vs hand augers
« Reply #30 on: Dec 03, 2019, 04:16 PM »
More energy yes, as in more revolutions. Hand drills use shavers because they cut more ice per revolution, which means they are actually harder to turn, but faster. Chippers are about durability, like straight blade vs. serrated, more blade surface area means it stays sharp longer. At least that is what I've gathered based on using both types for awhile.

Im not sure i follow your logic with hand augers being harder to turn. That seems counter productive for an auger you are turning by hand..

There are various videos out there comparing chipper blades to shavers. Many of which result in the shaver drilling roughly 40% more holes.

Here is a good video that exemplifies what im referring to. The real kicker here is that the Kdrill isnt a true 8in auger, its actually closer to 7.5in. Which means not only is it cutting less holes, its also cutting less ice per whole than the 8".

Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Dec 03, 2019, 04:28 PM »
Im not sure i follow your logic with hand augers being harder to turn. That seems counter productive for an auger you are turning by hand..

There are various videos out there comparing chipper blades to shavers. Many of which result in the shaver drilling roughly 40% more holes.

Here is a good video that exemplifies what im referring to. The real kicker here is that the Kdrill isnt a true 8in auger, its actually closer to 7.5in. Which means not only is it cutting less holes, its also cutting less ice per whole than the 8".

Ok another comparison then maybe. Think about bike gears, low gear is harder to turn but you travel further distance, high gear is easier to turn but you don't travel as far. More revolutions = more battery used, but not necessarily more torque on the drill.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #32 on: Dec 03, 2019, 04:38 PM »
Hmm if pedal bike gears in low gear it takes more revolutions but easier with less travel in a higher gear its harder with less revolutions to travel farther.anyways gearing is different than shaver and chipper blades.idk maybe i have it wrong.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #33 on: Dec 03, 2019, 04:41 PM »
Ok another comparison then maybe. Think about bike gears, low gear is harder to turn but you travel further distance, high gear is easier to turn but you don't travel as far. More revolutions = more battery used, but not necessarily more torque on the drill.

I see what you are saying here, but there is a flaw in your logic. The load, or in this case bite resistance = more battery used. This is why shaver blade augers produce more holes. They cut easier and smoother than chipper blades. Hence why hand augers use shaver baldes and power augers use chipper blades.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Dec 04, 2019, 08:26 AM »
Hmm if pedal bike gears in low gear it takes more revolutions but easier with less travel in a higher gear its harder with less revolutions to travel farther.anyways gearing is different than shaver and chipper blades.idk maybe i have it wrong.

I don't ride a bike lol, so ya I just reversed it

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Dec 04, 2019, 08:30 AM »
I see what you are saying here, but there is a flaw in your logic. The load, or in this case bite resistance = more battery used. This is why shaver blade augers produce more holes. They cut easier and smoother than chipper blades. Hence why hand augers use shaver baldes and power augers use chipper blades.

I definitely ain't no scientist just trying to relay what I actually feel/hear from my drill while cutting a hole with both types of augers. A couple years ago (or last year maybe) people were breaking the aux handle off of milwaukees, but mine is still fine and doesn't feel stressed at all while cutting a hole, with a shaver you really gotta hang on to that handle.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #36 on: Dec 04, 2019, 08:31 AM »
I don't ride a bike lol, so ya I just reversed it
me either..thats why i wasnt sure if i knew what i was talking about.lol trying to remember back to my younger years!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.