Author Topic: Waxing your smitty sled  (Read 2148 times)

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
Waxing your smitty sled
« on: Mar 03, 2014, 06:02 PM »
I had a smitty built for me this season and know nothing about waxing the skis. I watched a few videos but it seems like an awful lot of work. Is this how you do yours or do you do them a diffrent way?

Offline CW3

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Waxing your smitty sled
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2014, 06:04 PM »
I spray mine with silicone spray after getting it out of the truck.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2014, 06:20 PM »
just go to a hardware store and buy a 3 pack of canning wax blocks for 5$ or so. rub it on the skies when you want to make sure it has wax. i have wax on mine and the snow still sticks to the wax. i take my smitty skies and stand it on its side so the snow isn't stuck to it when its time to leave. also, i use my auger cover and scrape any packed snow off with it first and the edges of the skies and i wax the edges too

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2014, 06:38 PM »
Went looking for canning wax ...couldn't find any ...so melted a cheap emergency candle ...smoothed it out with a propane touch as best i could ....mind you the skis I had were pretty beat up ...really couldn't mess them up ....sanded then down some and sprayed silocone on them ....work alot better ....will be locating some canning wax in the future and a thift store iron .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline williev18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2014, 06:52 PM »
After many years of recreational and competitive skiing I can tell you there is much more to waxing skis than just rubbing some on. The process in the movie you posted is pretty much what needs to be done if you want to amount to much. You are trying to fill very small imperfections in the ski base, along with making a small chemical change in the ski itself to reduce friction. There is a plethora of waxes for specific temps and water contents of the snow. You can make the skis slide amazingly better by waxing but you have to put a lot of prep into them ,and protect them very carefully after waxing. If you wax them then throw the smitty in the back of your truck bed skis down, or drag it across dirt, you just wasted all of your work. If you have a local ski shop, stop in and see if they can recommend an alpine wax with a broad temp range close to the temp you usually fish. If they do tune ups they may even do the job for you fairly cheaply, rather than buying the brushes, scrapers, and wax. Not to mention really pissing off your wife when you use her Iron ;) 

If you want quick and easy carry a can of pam and give them a shot every once and a while. It wont make a huge difference in the drag on dry snow, but on the wet stuff if will definatly help keep it from freezing on. I found an Indy sport 340 made a huge difference in the drag on my smitty :P

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2014, 07:19 PM »
Shaving off precious seconds to get to a fishing spot requires the high dollar waxes. For the recreational fisherman I recommend the Pam spray.

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2014, 07:23 PM »
I bought a can of ski wax that says to just rub it on, wait a minute, and wipe it of. I did it this way today and took a hair dryer and heated it up. Gonna give it a try in the AM. I'll post my results.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Mar 03, 2014, 07:26 PM »
I bought a can of ski wax that says to just rub it on, wait a minute, and wipe it of. I did it this way today and took a hair dryer and heated it up. Gonna give it a try in the AM. I'll post my results.
    Now if that works ...that would be the cats meow ....
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 04, 2014, 05:10 AM »
Shaving off precious seconds to get to a fishing spot requires the high dollar waxes. For the recreational fisherman I recommend the Pam spray.

LMAO

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 04, 2014, 05:17 AM »
Wow, who woulda thought....

Offline JBL44

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JBL44
« Reply #10 on: Mar 04, 2014, 08:11 AM »
Good advice williev, us folks that live in ski country know all to well the importance of matching the type of wax with the snow/temp conditions!
perchnut

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.