Author Topic: Avonlee/dunnet reservoir  (Read 3725 times)

Offline loomis

• IceShanty Rookie
Avonlee/dunnet reservoir
« on: Dec 21, 2008, 07:59 PM »
Anyone ever fish avonlee reservoir through the ice, had luck there in the summer but never tried through the ice.

Offline Saskbush

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Avonlee/dunnet reservoir
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2008, 03:26 PM »
I was out there last winter and had fairly good luck for walleye. I had the best luck in about 8 - 12 feet of water. It is well worth the drive. I heard that there are a few springs on that lake. So it is best to stay on the path. So as always be very careful on it. 

Offline loomis

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2008, 04:17 PM »
Ok..... thanks....I am assuming that most people just drive down the boat launch? thanks for the springs tip.

Offline Mike.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2008, 06:09 PM »
I was out there last winter and had fairly good luck for walleye. I had the best luck in about 8 - 12 feet of water. It is well worth the drive. I heard that there are a few springs on that lake. So it is best to stay on the path. So as always be very careful on it. 

Where abouts were you fishing? We always did pretty good in the summer around that first island and by the dam

Offline trev.357

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2008, 07:36 PM »
i had good luck this summer along the west side from the boat launch and people from shore where doing very well also . by the water pumping area it goes from 1 2 3  to 18 20 feet but I'm not to sure how safe that spot would be  right now .i tried to get out there today  to test drill some holes but fixing the shack took longer than i thought. last two years Ive been talking to some people that go out there every few days  pike perch and walleyes  they seemed to be always catching i think that's where i will fish this year. i have a country house about 20 mins from there so I'll just have to make it a whole weekend throw some coyote and bunny hunting in there along the way.

Offline amatue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2008, 07:46 PM »
West of the boat launch around the spill way may be dangrous ice.. Avonlea is hit and miss in winter..

Offline Saskbush

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2008, 07:57 PM »
Hard to explain exactly where but, it was off a point before the first island out almost in the middle off the lake. There is a drop off there from where the old river bed was before they flooded it.

Offline Mike.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 25, 2008, 01:08 PM »
Any reports?

Offline trev.357

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2008, 12:05 AM »
unfortunatly i can't get out till monday but i do get to spend the week in the area (but then i have to come home and get a job) got some new toys for the kid (and mee too i think) for xmas a camera and some new hooks  the camera seems to work great in the house and and in the dark too  cant wait to get out and weather is to be nice too i hope

Offline flyboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2008, 08:47 AM »
What's the best way to get to the reservoir from Avonlea? I work south of there but have never fished the reservoir. F.B.
The worst day fishing is better than the best day at......heck! you guys already know that!

Offline trev.357

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2009, 11:19 PM »
got out for a couple of hours on Tuesday ice is about 15 inches  lots of cracking going on but it was not normal cracking it seemed i was nervous for some reason and when others where driving around it did not sound right. and water is 8ft low from this summer its really low  stay away from the bubbler on the west side i went around to the east side  a few shacks and trucks and cars out there i drilled a few holes  in about 10ft  dropped down the new camera lots of shrimp down there i put it about a ft off the bottom and we sat back then this walleye filled the screen lots of fun i then decided to put a hook in the hole next to it started to watch again then the suckers started to move seen a bunch of those it was very entertaining  to watch. to get there its 5mins south of town then east 5 mins

Offline Mike.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2009, 10:21 AM »
catch any?

Offline mix123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2009, 07:02 PM »
Heading down there sometime this week. Any new reports from there? I've never been out there before so I thought I'd give it try. I have heard  good things about it in the summer. Where are the hot spots in the winter on this lake? Is it fairly easy to see where the shacks are on the lake and get to them?

Offline clysdale

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2009, 09:14 PM »
whaT day ya goin may meet ya out there, i live close by and been meaning to get out there and try it some time

Offline mix123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2009, 09:42 PM »
Wednesday afternoon...Prob get out there around 1 and be out for a few hours depending on how it goes.

Offline Mike.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 18, 2009, 11:17 PM »
has anyone ever fished just out from the boat lauch and along the dam? its usally pretty good all around there in the summer and fall.

Offline trev.357

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 18, 2009, 11:43 PM »
there was a penthouse right out from the boat launch but like i said before the water is very low  most shacks i seen where out to the south east by all those islands  and remember to watch out for the bubbler on the west side

Offline mix123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 18, 2009, 11:46 PM »
Where is this bubbler? If a guy was to just head out where everyone else had where all the shacks were would he be ok? Keep in mind I am completely new to this lake and area

Offline trev.357

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 19, 2009, 07:25 AM »
there are some big cement water things on the west side from the boat launch can't miss them they are supose to be underwater but thats how low the water is then still on the west side going south now thats where the bubbler is

Offline fishin_crazy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 19, 2009, 01:08 PM »
any fish out by the isalnd around from the boat launch? havnt been out there this year just seein how the wally's and perch are hitting this year?
A Bad Day Of Fishing Is Still Better Than A Good Day Of Working!!

Offline fishcrusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Fish?
« Reply #20 on: Jan 19, 2009, 06:28 PM »
To those fishing at Dunnet/Avonlea:  Please help the fish population there, by doing so release all pike, they have just been stocked 3 years ago thru our wildlife federation.  The pike from that era are 12 lbs+ and are our main spawners.  They are successfully hatching.  As for the walleye, keep any walleye you catch there (till your limit of course)  no matter how small,  your average eye is going to run 14".  They are overstocked and have extreme limited food supply, the fish are becoming stunted, and there is only one way to rectify too many fish....   And as for perch... PLEASE RELEASE ALL PERCH.  only 200 adults were put in, a few years back, and they are not taking off at all,  my guess is with soo many eyes no food for them and they become food.  The perch are around 1.5 lbs in there now.  As for catching, I haven't been out there this year, but fishing sounds like it's been no high numbers but consistent. 

And if you do keep walleye, please report here to whether or not there was anything in the stomach.  Last year I kept more than a few eyes from there, and not one thing in the gut. 

Thanks
Withdraw to the Wilderness
Wekusko Falls Lodge

Offline mix123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 19, 2009, 06:59 PM »
I will do my best to keep every walleye I catch...just for you  ;D

Offline fishin_crazy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 19, 2009, 10:11 PM »
sounds good gotta keep the fish population up. to many lakes and resivours have been hit way to hard i have seen two that i know of in buffalo pound no perch there any more and willows damn to many guys just catchin there limit or more and every day. dat after day, thats the craps when that happens
 thanks for the tip though will do my best to catch a bunch of walleye hahahaha

Offline mix123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 21, 2009, 09:50 PM »
I was out there today from 2:30-6:30 barely any bites. 1 small walleye is all we ended up with. We were along the wall by the shacks in the bay for a while moving every 30 min or so. After we tried right where those shacks are and got nothing we moved over by the island in about 12 fow and I caught the one walleye. Not much on the flashers either all afternoon. Will probably try there again tho.

Offline fishcrusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Fish?
« Reply #24 on: Jan 22, 2009, 04:52 PM »
This lake is a total dusk and dawn spot.  The odd day you can catch all afternoon, but usually the eye peak periods are the time to hit the lake.  Unless it's a full moon with no cloud, then I don't hit the lake till 1/2 after sunset and fish thru midnight.  Hopefully get out there sat evening for a try, the water level is down about 6', so all my sweet spots on some humps are pobs froze right thru, just hopefully don't tickle a rock with the auger!
Wekusko Falls Lodge

Offline fishin_crazy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 23, 2009, 01:24 PM »
sounds good fishcruser let us know how it goes hopefully going to make it out there on sunday someting about my wife bday and she don't want to spend it on the lake on sat but i might make it out there or LML first thing in the morning. White ford crew cab if i see yah on sat. if not keep posted about saturday if you go?
 thanks
   Keep a tight line

Offline fishcrusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Fish?
« Reply #26 on: Jan 23, 2009, 05:26 PM »
Sounds good, I will be out there for first light, and then the evening again.  Gotta feed cows in between. I'll either be in a 06 F150 crew cab, dark blue, or a 02 burgandy dodge 2500 ext cab.  probs have 2 portables up, keeping the misses warm while trying to move around looking. Stop by for a chat

Wekusko Falls Lodge

Offline mix123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 23, 2009, 06:03 PM »
Tomorrow or sunday?

Offline fishcrusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Fish?
« Reply #28 on: Jan 23, 2009, 09:49 PM »
Be out there tomorrow- however that weather is going to suck to be looking around!
Wekusko Falls Lodge

Offline mix123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 23, 2009, 10:34 PM »
I think I'll try Pasqua tomorrow and come out to dunnet next weekend when it's warmer. Let me know how you do.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.