Author Topic: Northern Sask Info  (Read 3836 times)

Offline rodsbent

• IceShanty Rookie
Northern Sask Info
« on: Dec 17, 2015, 11:02 AM »
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a lot of information that I'm assuming will be really difficult to get.

I'm considering a trip up some time this winter/spring or next in search of big trout, (pike would be a bonus). No place is out of my consideration; Wollaston, Reindeer, Athabasca, and surrounding waters. I have never traveled to the northern part of the province. The furthest I have been is Nipawin, (which I will be back at Tobin here in January).

What should I expect? What should I plan for? Basically, the ins and outs of the region. Ive been finding it very difficult to find out any information, as expected. I know there is somebody on here who chases and lives for giant lake trout! I will be forever indebted to anyone willing to share any information and will even ask you to hitch a ride up with us! Have two snowmobiles. I live for this stuff and am strictly C&R.

Feel free to PM me.

Thank you! :)

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
Re: Northern Sask Info
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2015, 06:02 PM »
Hi rodsbent,
Check out this Sk. website, it has a list of areas you can go to fish for both lake trout and pike. ----> http://www.fishing-in-saskatchewan.com/fishing-outfitters
Just check mark the pike and lake trout area and what ever else you want from your trip. ;)

I have not fished for lake trout myself, but, I hear quite a few folks say that Angler's Trail Resort on Lac La Plonge, is a good spot for lakers + pike and burbot. :)

P.S.  Welcome to the SK. part of IceShanty. ;D

WW

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2015, 08:28 PM »
 that's a way different story than going to nipawin.  up there they have to fly the kfc in.

prepare for everything and the worst and hope for the best.  multiple spare tires maybe an extra windshield, tow ropes, winch, heat etc..  i was just google mapping here to waterbury lake, would be awesome to get up there for some ice fishing...well worth the mission i'm sure.  good luck, hope you get er done.

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2015, 08:35 PM »
Reindeer lake or Athabasca.     In the Fon du Lac area lakers are routinely caught from shore.  Winter accomodations might be sketchy, camps usually run from June till freeze up. Personally I wouldn't drive in the winter, been there in summer, saw the road from the air, no thanks.  Dig deep in your search, good luck.

Offline Northern Pikeman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2015, 07:18 PM »
Ran7ger is right in saying that you need to go prepared if you want to go to Reindeer,Wollaston or Athabaska but he is exaggerating a bit. You need good tires for sure, P rated tires will not cut it. Access to lakes would be by snowmobile only. Wollaston does have a winter road to the community but it it isn't in the areas that you would want to fish.
 The biggest problem with a trip to these lakes is to find a place to stay. There are no outfitters open in the winter in these areas. There are a few places to stay such as Brabant, km 147 outfitters on Hwy 905 and Points North. Also a couple of hotels in Stony Rapids. In all cases you will have to travel to get to the lakes. Waterbury has some big trout and is accessible from Points North. I would wait until late winter to go to these places as the days are very short right now.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2015, 07:22 PM »
but he is exaggerating a bit.

you mean they have kfc up there now???

Offline bite-me7

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pour me another one
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2015, 10:41 PM »
You need multiple spare tires because they get stolen or get flats?  ;D

Offline Lifeguard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2015, 10:58 PM »
I have fished Reindeer accessed from the Manitoba side in the summer and it was fantastic!!Lakers, Pike, Walleye, and even Grayling (we didn't catch any grayling) are possible with some impressive sizes.  A great trip, but not a good road up there with very poor ammenities.  Is Manitoba a possibility?  Clearwater lake by The Pas is a good lake for Lakers and has big Pike as well.  The Saskatchewan river at The Pas has some good Walleye fishing too.  Reed Lake is a great lake for big fish and has Lakers, Pike, and Walleye with a good highway right to it.

Offline rodsbent

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2015, 08:25 AM »
Thanks for all the info guys! I'm considering anywhere at this point. However, I would like to go off the beaten path a little. I want  to put myself in position for a 40lb fish. That's why I was originally thinking the northern Sask region. I will have sleds so I guess sleeping in tent or the car isn't out of the picture. My main concern now I guess would be areas I can get gas. Also, if there is a real risk of getting my stuff vandalized then I may have to reconsider.

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2015, 10:20 AM »
I would put kenanow lodge on your list kississing is accessible and the lodge is open in the winter. Huge lakers available. Just check out the episodes of uncut angling to see some of the trout they catch there.
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline Lifeguard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2015, 01:59 PM »
Kenanow Lodge would be a great destination alright.  Anywhere in the Sherridon, Bakers Narrows, Reed Lake and Snow Lake areas should produce good results.  I would say the Kenanow Lodge/Sherridon area should be fairly quiet for ice fishing too with the possibility of huge fish.  Good recommendation MeadowPikeman.  Reindeer is FANTASTIC but I suspect would be a very challenging trip and given you'd be passing a lot of amazing fishing on the way up, I'd say skip it for the ice and go in the summer when accomodations/amenities are a little more plentiful.

Offline Northern Pikeman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 19, 2015, 05:35 PM »
Reindeer isn't a lake you are going to find trout that big. It is possible but rare. A better bet is Wollaston or Lake Athabaska. Wollaston would have the best winter access. Like I said accommodations would be an issue, also a safe place to park. It would be worth calling Wollaston Lake Lodge, as they have someone there all winter.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work.

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 19, 2015, 08:51 PM »
that's a way different story than going to nipawin.  up there they have to fly the kfc in.

prepare for everything and the worst and hope for the best.  multiple spare tires maybe an extra windshield, tow ropes, winch, heat etc..  i was just google mapping here to waterbury lake, would be awesome to get up there for some ice fishing...well worth the mission i'm sure.  good luck, hope you get er done.

Its a heck of a place, but the trip can be a nightmare if not prepared, even in the summer.

Offline fishcrusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Fish?
« Reply #13 on: Dec 23, 2015, 02:37 PM »
Over here in Manitoba we have the 4 options where you don't have to chance life...except for the ice maybe this year.   I own and operate Wekusko Falls Lodge, and we have seen a lot of big trout off of Reed lake.   Clearwater has a lot of giants, as well as athapap, and kississing.  But you will have to put the time into it any place you go.  Big trout in the winter are not super easy to find always as they can be literally at any depth- from 3' to 300'.  We find the best depth is right around the 35' mark for the big fish.   But don't expect when you find the big ones to find lots of little ones.  They don't seem to travel much together.  Different forage mostly.  The big trout up here eat lots of burbot, so when I say anywhere and everywhere, thats exactly what I mean. 

Hope this helps!

Bryan
Wekusko Falls Lodge
Withdraw to the Wilderness
Wekusko Falls Lodge

Offline coldazice

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I'd rather be fishing
« Reply #14 on: Dec 23, 2015, 03:21 PM »
you can catch 30-35lb Lakers out of Little Bear, mostly average between 6-10lbs. I'm not sure where they school in the winter but I've more than figured them out for the rest of the year. A good trip might be to head to Little Bear for lakers, leaving plenty of great fishing lakes within half an hour's drive and then take another day for Walleye at Oskikibuk.
TEAM Saskatchewan: Yes, we have ice in December!.

Offline rodsbent

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 25, 2015, 10:04 AM »
Thanks for all the input guys! We may have found a place in Stony Rapids. Does anyone here have any qualms about Athabasca or Black lake, or is it a complete waste of time? Has ANYONE got on big trout on these waters through the ice?

Offline Sullivan2012

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 25, 2015, 11:19 AM »
Hey Rodsbent. I've spent quite a bit of time on Black lake in the summer  and it's more known for big pike and walleye. There are trout in the lake for sure but big lakers are not that common. I've spent a lot of time throughout northern Saskatchewan and black lake is a sketchy town to say the least. I would not feel safe walking around town or leaving a vehicle in town even for an hour. Athabasca would be good I am sure but the road from points north to black lake/Stoney is pretty bad. Even from south end to points north is a dangerous road. If you are going to drive it seriously look at renting a truck radio with the NRT channel programmed in, it could save your life. The truckers on the road call out where they are and if there are any pickups driving like arseholes. If you have access to a sled I would put out the option of staying at points north and sledding out on Waterbury or driving over to Wollaston and fishing off the winter road. I think you would have a good shot at a monster, don't have to worry about vandalism, and save a couple hundred Kms of crappy driving. And as far as driving Take at least two spares as that road chews up tires.

Offline LUNKERONZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIG ON!!!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 26, 2015, 05:40 AM »
Take spares! Lots of them. We took 3 last time and seriously blew out all 7 tires. Drove 75 Kim's on rims. Was fun but not chaeap. Lol,,,,,

Jig on
Jig on!

Offline Tee Tot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Laker Man
« Reply #18 on: Dec 26, 2015, 07:24 PM »
Give Brian a call at wekusko is my honest opinion.  Athapap, Reed have what you are looking for.   Don't chance anything Past points North unless you are "FULLY PREPPED" PM me if you want to know what I mean.

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 28, 2015, 02:58 PM »
Give Brian a call at wekusko is my honest opinion.  Athapap, Reed have what you are looking for.   Don't chance anything Past points North unless you are "FULLY PREPPED" PM me if you want to know what I mean.

its a different world up there

Offline sandman66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 29, 2015, 08:15 PM »
Take spares! Lots of them. We took 3 last time and seriously blew out all 7 tires. Drove 75 Kim's on rims. Was fun but not chaeap. Lol,,,,,

Jig on

LOL. Where do you buy your tires, Wal-Mart?
I agree the road to Wollaston can be pretty rough but if you take it easy and stay aware it's not that bad. I have driven that far at least a half dozen times without getting a flat - ever. I have been a regular traveller to km 130 north of La Ronge for many years, we own a cabin near Mclennan.  In probably over 100 trips to Bears camp and back I have had to change 1 flat.

Offline fergscummins67

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 30, 2015, 11:05 AM »
Hey fishcrusher do you have any good walleye and perch lakes accessible by snowmobile
That's close to your lodge and I assume your open in the winter ???

Offline LUNKERONZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIG ON!!!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 31, 2015, 07:55 AM »
Travelled that road steady since 1996. It happens. Blown many tires. That one trip is just a great example of what can happen. And this occurred between gieke river and the wathaman. HD truck tires for us just to answer your Walmart bs comment lol. It happens!

Jig on
Jig on!

Offline shootsmcgee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 31, 2015, 11:42 AM »
goodyear wrangler duratracs or cooper st maxx tires and your days of gravel flats are pretty much over. I work at a coal mine with the most severe duty equipment on the planet and the only tire that holds up other than those is the yokohama geolander but they're not aggressive enough for some
well if you were me then i'd be you and i really wouldn't know what the hell I was talking about...

Offline fishcrusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Fish?
« Reply #24 on: Dec 31, 2015, 04:02 PM »
Hey fergscummins67,

We have lots of quality lakes for walleye around.  Haven't really pursued perch much, there are getting to be a lot of jumbos onWekusko Lake however.  Went in boat fishing walleye on Nov 11 this year and ended up with 15 perch over 11"  So they are there.  I gave lots of my perch gear away to my nephew once I moved up here, as I don't really guide for them.  But man do guys from Wisconsin go crazy over perch.  Might have to start looking!  Snow Lake has a lot of Jumbo perch too...just never had much time to get after them.   Locals here have never heard of a meal worm, or wax worm..... so they definitely aren't pressured. 

Ice is starting to build but we have very inconsistent ice all over.  Some lake bodies have 12" but the bays only have 6".   Lake I was on chasing big eyes on monday had 11" across the board.  But I walked a shortcut to see if I could snowmobile over a small creek and broke through.  Snowmobile on lake is still a must...or quad right now too...only 4-5" of snow tops on lakes....

And yes, we are open 365.  i am married to the business.....
Withdraw to the Wilderness
Wekusko Falls Lodge

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.